• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yes, I would under certain circumstances. I own or have owned 2 Taurus revolvers and 2 semi-autos, one of which is a small, plastic framed Millennium, all ran/run flawlessly. That said, in most cases there are better options from better manufacturers for a relatively small amount more.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Depends, I'd stay away from anything plastic, but I have a model 94 and also a PT58s 380 auto, both are very nice guns.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I have owned 2 Taurus revolvers and a PT99. I have had warranty work done before and was very happy. My last dealing with them left me feeling cheated. I now own ZERO. Never again!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone have any experience with the Taurus PT709 Slim? I have been thinking of getting one for just summer time carry (shorts weather) instead of the Ruger that I normally carry? Buds Guns reviews on it are really good (85% are 5 Stars) but I thought I'd ask those on here who might have owned one or currently own one for their opinion.

5 stars:
    85% (133 of 157)
    4 stars:
    9% (13 of 157)
    3 stars:
    3% (5 of 157)
    2 stars:
    2% (4 of 157)
    1 star:
    1% (2 of 157)

The 709 is a a fine option. It is the best model currently available from Taurus.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Just bought my first Taurus, a previous owned .380 TCP. I have never owned a pocket gun and didn't want to spend much money on one since I don't see myself carrying it very often. I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised with it. I have only put about 30 rounds of both fmj and jhp through but it worked just like it's supposed to and has a decent trigger. Not on par with my Beretta's but can't compare a $600-$700 gun to a $150 gun. I have heard that it all depends on if you get a good one or a lemon but can't speak on that myself since I only have the one Taurus.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I have owned, and loved, my PT92 for >10 years. It's been 100% reliable, less a few ammo related issues (under powered reloads). It's had thousands of rounds, including some action pistol outings, and has convinced me that I don't need another full sized super 9. I've also owned a PT1911 for a few years. It has also been reliable except for a mag related issue (weak spring in 8 round mag not getting last round up fast enough, replaced spring solved problem). I've also owned a couple of revolvers (S&W clones) that I liked. What all of these have in common is that they are copies of proven designs. Where Taurus has issues (i.m.h.o.) is with their own designs.

All of that being said, my normal EDC is a S&W Shield with night sites.......

Wolf1661

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am actually about to go pick up my Taurus PT111 G2. Started the NICS on the 3rd and had to wait til today to get it. I also have the 101AF. Only issue i have is the rear sight. I think I also need a new spring for the factory magazine. It was having a FTL. It was fine with the aftermarket mag. Just slide it slightly and release and it would load. Bought it used and it is not a bad gun.

Sonarnate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2017
    Lafayette
    I have a PT111 G2. Small,accurate,so far....a flawless gun. I bought this after I got rid of my S&W. That gun had a feed ramp issue and would frequently stove pipe a round. The Taurus has had 0 issues.

Wolf1661

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thats good to hear. It felt right. I was looking at some bigger models too. idiot roommate says that i might have issues with my permit. Says they check the same system, and since I currently just had this check done it could cause issues. Not sure how though. He wants to carry mine instead of his. How is this gun on longer range accuracy? I was thinking maybe 30 feet away. I am going to try and set the sights, or see if they are pretty close. Don't worry, I will load it up, chamber a round. Then kick the safety off and make sure I look down the barrel. lol :laugh:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If it was a revolver with a revolver cartridge, yes. Only if it was a heck of a deal. I had a TCP (380). Worked when brand new. Year or two of wear and tear and it quit. My girlfriend had a 380 revolver with the moon clips, same story. Worked for a while. JMHO.

Wolf1661

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2017
    Indianapolis
    IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0808.jpg
    I definitely like this little gun. Wasn't sold on the size and feel, but it is growing on me. I plan to buy a new recoil guide and spring. Also a maintenance kit for the springs. Also getting a 36 round magazine. Specifically for the range. I am working on a range bag atm.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I've owned a PT92, PT1911, PT58, a couple of small .22 autos (PT22?) and model 85 and 86 and .454 Raging Bull revolvers. All of them have ran 100%, so I must be the luckiest Taurus buyer ever. I still have the .454 but all of the rest have been sold off over the years. The only one I miss is the PT1911. I never liked the trigger on the PT99. It had miles of creep and when it would break was anyone's guess. Tauruses were always the first to go up for sale when I needed cash and they never really seemed to work their way into the indispensable end of my collection like a Browning or HK or Ruger. I'd still consider a revolver or 1911 if the right one came along just so I could have a couple of days of "new gun happy". I don't really care for the polymer offerings they make mainly because they're not my style (HK excluded).

Buying a firearm that turns out to be a P.O.S. will really sour you on a brand even more so than a car. I had a Beretta 21A that turned me against Beretta completely. It was a complete piece of junk and Beretta acted like it was my fault.

I'm a GM guy that's owned a few decent Fords, but Chrysler... Never again. It's all subjective. YMMV.

Chris

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would not. Their revolvers have much rougher and heavier trigger pulls than Smiths and Rugers- and their automatics have the same issue.

When I turned 21 I bought a GLOCK 19. At about the same time a cousin bought a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm. Fast forward 11 years: my GLOCK has never malfunctioned- the Taurus was sold almost a decade ago because it didn't feed reliably. That's just one example, but it's the only one I got!

Top Bottom