• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Wait, so she was having problems with her hard drive, yet you expect the "service professional" to stay out of the hard drive? I fail to understand. That's like getting mad at a mechanic because he popped the hood to find out what's wrong with your car. I don't think they were right to take those pictures and upload them. I don't think anyone is saying that it's ok.
    I wouldn't expect the mechanic to go sorting through my glove box or my trunk when I'm paying him to fix my alternator.

I don't need to go rooting around in anyone's picture files to fix a software issue. (exempting a virus issue and then it would only be the infected file(s)) I DEFINITELY don't need to go rooting around through private information to fix a hardware issue. My job is to go in, fix the problem, and move on to the next job, not sit there and go snooping around inside your hard drive for private or sensitive information.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wouldn't expect the mechanic to go sorting through my glove box or my trunk when I'm paying him to fix my alternator.

I don't need to go rooting around in anyone's picture files to fix a software issue. (exempting a virus issue and then it would only be the infected file(s)) I DEFINITELY don't need to go rooting around through private information to fix a hardware issue. My job is to go in, fix the problem, and move on to the next job, not sit there and go snooping around inside your hard drive for private or sensitive information.

Go to a shop, they usually have a sign on the wall, "not responsible for articles in vehicle" or something like that.
    If you put a $100 bill on the windshield and leave it, don't be surprised.
    When I take my auto in, I remove valuable items.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Go to a shop, they usually have a sign on the wall, "not responsible for articles in vehicle" or something like that.
    so because that's the new norm I should be okay with it? Look up the definition of the world "Complacency" and then think about how our society is running...

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm guessing it's not IT. You would be surprised by how often people leave stuff out in plain view on a desktop. Stuff like nude photos, that don't have to be rooted around for. I do tech support, and when I do screen sharing requests, the first thing I say is "If you have anything that might be sensitive, private, confidential or possibly offensive, please make sure you hide it from your desktop before we begin. I will be able to see everything in plain view on your screen." IN terms of rooting around a HDD, you obviously haven't had to fix much. Depending upon the issue, you could need to access a lot of the file system.

You are right, the guy snooping around was wrong. Sharing the pictures was worse. But if the person left the files in plain view, then who's fault is that? Some of that has to fall back on the user as well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

so because that's the new norm I should be okay with it? Look up the definition of the world "Complacency" and then think about how our society is running...

No, thats not the "new norm". I've been locking my doors, and not leaving valuables out for close to half a century.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Two things stand out here. Firstly I keep reading that "it's happened at Best Buy before". It's not a Best Buy thing. It's a human being thing. People are curious. If you turn over a computer full of naked pictures to a 100 different tech savvy men, I'd say confidently 30 percent MINIMUM will copy and save those pictures. Is it morally wrong? Sure, but so is cheating and we all know how many of us do that. Sex is a powerful motivator and the simple fact is that many men will give into the urge. I feel bad for her. You should be able to trust a pro, but you also have to be realistic and not store those kinds of pics on your main hard drive. And if you DO store them there you need to be willing to pay extra for home repair service so you can oversee the work and make sure he's not snooping. She was violated but was a violation that could easily have been avoided by a little cyber-street smarts on her end.

Secondly and more importantly I find it sickening that the lawyer would feel the need to say the pics were taken for artistic purposes and weren't intended to be sexual as if that makes her any more or less a victim here. Who cares if they were sexual. If you care, get over yourself. She's a grown woman and has every right to take sexy pictures for herself or her lover. Being a sexual adult is normal and healthy and I don't know why so many people try to demonize it. Maybe it's jealousy but I always see people insulting women who have photos leaked. It's not some freaky thing to do. this isn't the 1800's. Taking some pictures for sexy fun doesn't make you a bad person any more than having sex does. Sure it's risky that things like this may things like this happen or your lover betrays you and posts them, but to some people the risk is part of the fun and there's nothing wrong with that.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    IN terms of rooting around a HDD, you obviously haven't had to fix much. Depending upon the issue, you could need to access a lot of the file system.

Last I knew, system files didn't come with a .jpg or .bmp extension... and we both know we're not talking about a desktop background. I don't care if there's a file folder that says "TOPLESS PHOTOS OF ME IN RIO" I expect complete privacy from a technician. When did we stop expecting exemplary service and integrity from those that provide services? Me personally, I know better and can fix my own computer issues, but you tell me what average computer user even knows HOW to encrypt a file folder or protect themselves. If they did, IT techs would be out of a job. By the way.. I'm already Network+, Security+, A+ certified, and I graduate in spring.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No, thats not the "new norm". I've been locking my doors, and not leaving valuables out for close to half a century.

This. If I have a plumber or electrician or the Brighthouse guy or whoever come into my home to fix something I'm not going to leave a few thousand bucks sitting around. It's called being smart. No one is saying that what those people did was right. It seems to me most people are just saying she should know better. And I don't believe there's anything wrong with having nude photos. Sex is something that I personally believe is still looked at as far more taboo than it should be. Of course that's just my opinion and not the subject at hand. I'm not going to put my nude pictures in a family photo album on the coffee table and then get pissed off when someone comes to my house and looks at them. Would it be wrong for someone to go snooping? Yes, absolutely, but I should be smart enough to remove the temptation.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This. If I have a plumber or electrician or the Brighthouse guy or whoever come into my home to fix something I'm not going to leave a few thousand bucks sitting around. It's called being smart. No one is saying that what those people did was right. It seems to me most people are just saying she should know better. And I don't believe there's anything wrong with having nude photos. Sex is something that I personally believe is still looked at as far more taboo than it should be. Of course that's just my opinion and not the subject at hand. I'm not going to put my nude pictures in a family photo album on the coffee table and then get pissed off when someone comes to my house and looks at them. Would it be wrong for someone to go snooping? Yes, absolutely, but I should be smart enough to remove the temptation.

That would be pretty funny though. :lmfao:
    It would be like those busty women who wear tight low cut shirts and who get mad at you if you look at their boobs. :rolleyes:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

But how about if someone looked at them, made copies of them without your consent and then posted them on the internet, again without your consent, would you be angry then?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    But how about if someone looked at them, made copies of them without your consent and then posted them on the internet, again without your consent, would you be angry then?

I wouldn't be thrilled about it, no. But I would blame myself for it. Again, I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. I'm not saying "she had it coming" (I detest that line) or she deserved it. I'm just saying she could have taken precautions to prevent it from happening. That's all.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    INGO, I am disappoint that no one else has laughed at bwframe's comment.

Seriously seriously disappoint.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Last I knew, system files didn't come with a .jpg or .bmp extension... and we both know we're not talking about a desktop background.

Ok, so say you're helping a person who is having trouble syncing photos to an online service or to a backup device? I do that on the daily, so I see what is in folks folders. Gratned I can't save any of them through my remote connection, I can still see them.

I don't care if there's a file folder that says "TOPLESS PHOTOS OF ME IN RIO" I expect complete privacy from a technician. When did we stop expecting exemplary service and integrity from those that provide services?

You wouldn't believe what I have seen in plain view on a users desktop. You wouldn't believe what I've seen in internet histories when I'm trying to track down the source of a virus for a user. I've seen more pron links in the internet history of a very pious seeming Bible-thumper than most teens could hope to ever see. I have never stopped expecting exemplary service and integrity. No one here has. What we have accepted, and which you have not, is that some people can be idiots and some people fall victim to human nature. You keep wanting to assign all of the blame to the tech. We all here think the dude was wrong. However, assuming facts not in evidence, there exists the possibility that the user might be at some fault for this for leaving the pictures in plain view. You keep seeming to think that everyone else goes around with a halo and never does anything wrong, which is nver the case. In fact, it seems quite the contradiction to your sig line ("No pity for the majority"). That view places the majority (or as you might call them, the 1%'ers), in the limelight as crooks and thieves. It almost sounds like you'd blame a cop for searching a car when he sees weed on the front seat, and not the idiot dope fiend.

By the way.. I'm already Network+, Security+, A+ certified, and I graduate in spring.

By the way.. so am I (plus more, actually). That and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee. Come back when you have more experience, more certs other than the CompTIA trifecta and some time in the trenches.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom