• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess this could go in the hunting/outdoor forum.

”“I will be a hunter’s nightmare.” That’s what an Ohio woman in blaze orange yelled before she fired a gun in a wooded neighborhood of Portage County. Her neighbor, legally hunting deer on his own property, recorded the confrontation…”

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I get the hunter harassment law and all that. My problem is though, just what constitutes hunter harassment. Sure, cut and dried in this case, but one of my neighbors had somebody cuss them out and almost got violent because we were walking around on my neighbors property during bow season, doing forestry with the district forester, and didn’t even know somebody was hunting on the adjacent property. And of course they were hunting right on the property line. At what point is my target shooting on my property harassment on adjacent property? Yes, I said it before, this case was cut and dried.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Working for a resolution? Arrest the crazy fxck and put a mental health hold on her!
    Stated her intent...fired a gun, threating the safety of others with a firearm...harassment of hunters, etc,...sounds like she'll have plenty of time to sit around and (re)consider the stupidity of her life choices!

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I get the hunter harassment law and all that. My problem is though, just what constitutes hunter harassment. Sure, cut and dried in this case, but one of my neighbors had somebody cuss them out and almost got violent because we were walking around on my neighbors property during bow season, doing forestry with the district forester, and didn’t even know somebody was hunting on the adjacent property. And of course they were hunting right on the property line. At what point is my target shooting on my property harassment on adjacent property? Yes, I said it before, this case was cut and dried.

Most of the statutes include language on intent. If you were walking around doing forestry work/target shooting on your property with the intent to disrupt their hunt you'd be in violation. If you were out banging pots and pans waking the dead for their blessing, you would be in the clear. The simple fact that it was disruptive generally doesn't matter according to the law.

Intent is damn difficult to prove, unless you shout it loudly into a recording device.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If in Indiana wouldn't she be guilty of a ND? I wonder what Ohio law regarding the round being fired is?

What's the Indiana Code for an ND?

And why would it be "ND" if it was an intentional act? If she shot into the ground, no crime in IN just for the discharge. If she shot *at* him or near him, criminal recklessness up to attempt murder, depending. No way you'd get attempt murder here, though, were setting up an ambush on pursuing cops and firing at them is only crim reck with a deadly weapon. Just as Marion Co juries.

Top Bottom