• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Are you asking if an LTCH allows you to carry a loaded gun in your car? Yes, it does.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    yes and if you don't have an LTCH don't even thinking about putting a HANDGUN in your vehicle even if it's stripped into all it's pieces.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    Are you asking if an LTCH allows you to carry a loaded gun in your car? Yes, it does.

yes and if you don't have an LTCH don't even thinking about putting a HANDGUN in your vehicle even if it's stripped into all it's pieces.

Thanks, iwas pretty sure you could with a LTCH. I had someone who thought otherwise.

Does the link about the law in the FAQ explain that you CAN carry loaded in a vehicle, or does it just not address it, therefore by deduction, you can carry?

Does that make sense?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It is actually pretty simple. If you don't have an LTCH, you are extremely restricted (can't even take it to the range for practice). If you have an LTCH, you can carry a handgun most anywhere in Indiana. There are some places that out of bounds- schools, govt buildings, etc., but those are pretty well enumerated in the law. Also, any place can post no guns allowed. You must leave immediately if requested or face trespassing charges.

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    Good question, In Ohio with a permit I believe you must carry your handgun in a holster while in your vehicle, not in a glovebox, etc. Am I correct on this?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks, iwas pretty sure you could with a LTCH. I had someone who thought otherwise.

Does the link about the law in the FAQ explain that you CAN carry loaded in a vehicle, or does it just not address it, therefore by deduction, you can carry?

Does that make sense?

Laws are not made to make things legal, only to make them illegal. There's no law that says you can or can't, therefore you can.

Here's the link to the current statutes:

Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Good question, In Ohio with a permit I believe you must carry your handgun in a holster while in your vehicle, not in a glovebox, etc. Am I correct on this?

Ohio's law is unclear on this, currently the code states in plain sight but does not define what in plain sight means, apparently, according the my father, who lives in ohio, where i use to live, that, when carrying a firearm in a car it must be holstered, however; there is current legislation to get rid of the in plain sight and just leave it as nothing as to prevent confusion during a traffic stop.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Ohio's law is unclear on this, currently the code states in plain sight but does not define what in plain sight means, apparently, according the my father, who lives in ohio, where i use to live, that, when carrying a firearm in a car it must be holstered, however; there is current legislation to get rid of the in plain sight and just leave it as nothing as to prevent confusion during a traffic stop.

Actually the current law is that it doesn't have to be in plain sight. It still has to be in a holster on your person or you can store it in a closed glove compartment or a closed case (i.e. no laying it on the seat beside you). Strangely the law says you can transport a gun in a case with a lid that has a closure but also says that transporting in a case with a lock is OK too. :n00b:

Here's the applicable part:

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom