• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For someone that really knows computers...

Is defragmenting necessary on Windows 7?

I remember trying to speed up the computer with Win 98 by running the defragmenter.

I also read in Fox news today that Home Land Security recommends uninstalling JAVA. Apparently there is a hacker getting into JAVA and causing problems.

TK

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Defrag is never a bad idea. If it's doing it automatically, it's still doing it, but I hadn't thought about it for some time, so I don't know if it does. Have to check.

I also don't know about Java. We have hackers getting into everything and causing trouble. If homeland security is involved, my first inclination is someone in the .gov is pissed at Oracle for not bending over subserviently enough.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    dont worry about defrag on really anything past windows xp it has some things built in to help, it wont hurt you to defrag just a waste of time. and yes java is unsecure but its been that way scince its been around so take it or leave it. i have it on my computers :rockwoot:

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Defrag is not necessary on Win7. Your OS comes with alot of "Bloatware" It's just alot of useless software that slows down your computer. Their is some good freeware that will clean up your system.

The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier
    This is a good tool for getting rid of bloatware.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleane
    This does a good job at cleaning up your pc also.

How-To Geek - Computer Help from your Friendly How-To Geek
    A good site for learning about computers.

Antivirus software like Norton or Mcafee can also slow your system down. I run Microsoft Security Essentials, malwarebytes, ccleaner, and pcdecrapifier and don't have any problems with my computer being infected or slowing down. The bonus is they are all free.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    The only time you need to defrag is if you perform a lot file creation and deletion. For instance, if you do video production or large volumes of deletions. The only other instance I can think of is if your system is low on physical RAM and is constantly growing and reducing the swap file (virtual memory). Unfortunately, Windows will use virtual memory regardless of how much physical RAM you have. This is about the only time defraging will enhance performance.

Top Bottom