Willy Graham. The other side of the coin.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Thank you for giving me a longer leash than I probably deserved. I've learned a lot in the last 14 pages. I promise to keep it civil.

And I have really enjoyed this. It helps me with my faith. Thank you. I hope people's agitation doesn't discourage you. Faith needs to be challenged to strengthen.

Thats really a selfish way of looking at it, I suppose. Let me also say that I hope you are gaining from this as much as I am.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    And I have really enjoyed this. It helps me with my faith. Thank you. I hope people's agitation doesn't discourage you. Faith needs to be challenged to strengthen.

Thats really a selfish way of looking at it, I suppose. Let me also say that I hope you are gaining from this as much as I am.

You're most welcome. I feel like I've gained a considerable amount of knowledge today between this topic and my inbox. It's truly been an enlightening experience.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    "Bring the entire tenth to the storerooms in my temple. Then there will be plenty of food. Put me to the test," says the Lord. "Then you will see that I will throw open the windows of heaven. I will pour out so many blessings that you will not have enough room for them.
    Malachi 3:10 NIRV
    https://bible.com/bible/110/mal.3.10.NIRV.

I am willing to bet that Graham's store house ran over for the right reason.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've given that a great deal of consideration. It isn't that I've blindly stumbled about. I have examined and questioned and searched. And I have doubted. But He won't let go of me that easily. And every time I doubt, I am met with greater assurance.

I’m right there with you. In all my 55 years of life with all its ups and downs, I’ve only had one calling me to be His own. While I don’t know why he calls to me being the sinner I am, I know that it’s with love and I want to be a part of it even thought I think I’m not worthy.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I’m right there with you. In all my 55 years of life with all its ups and downs, I’ve only had one calling me to be His own. While I don’t know why he calls to me being the sinner I am, I know that it’s with love and I want to be a part of it even thought I think I’m not worthy.

Praise the Lord! David knew something about Mercy for a poor old sinner:

O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I have been to the cove in North Carolina, which is the billy graham training center. Franklin graham started samaritans purse disaster relief and I volunteered on many trips with sp. they have a retreat there every spring. Franklins son spoke at the retreat I went to and the one part of his speech was talking about going to a gas station that had guns on the wall. I joked when I seen him and said they should take some part of the property and use it for chainsaw and skid steer training and build a range for them. They are very much pro gun it seems to me b

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has been most interesting to watch/read. It has provided some incite into a few of you. At least to me it has.
    Faith is inside of us. We are tested every day. To pass those tests is an accomplishment. To me it is to succeed at life and its hurdles/chuck holes and pitfalls. Every day.
    I truly believe we have free will. We can follow our own path. If you ask for divine assistance to mark a better path for you it is still your decision to step onto it. The actual work is up to the individual.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well he died with a estate worth TWENTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS and owned a PRIVATE JET, can't fly with the idiots who made him rich. How many poor people could 25 mil feed? I am not saying he should have lived in a cave but to become rich on the name of Christ makes me think God has a seat for him between Manson and Hitler..........I for one hope so.

I am NOT a bible scholar but I do remember reading something Jesus supposedly said to the effect of "SELL YOUR CLOAK AND USE THE MONEY TO FEED THE POOR." Guess old Billy missed that part.

I believe your are thinking of Luke 22:36 " But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment , and buy one." Still looking.

Luke 18:22 "Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him , Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in Heaven: and come follow me."

I believe Billy did just that and was richly rewarded.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This has been most interesting to watch/read. It has provided some incite into a few of you. At least to me it has.
    Faith is inside of us. We are tested every day. To pass those tests is an accomplishment. To me it is to succeed at life and its hurdles/chuck holes and pitfalls. Every day.
    I truly believe we have free will. We can follow our own path. If you ask for divine assistance to mark a better path for you it is still your decision to step onto it. The actual work is up to the individual.

There's an old joke about prayer and faith:

A man was trapped in his house during a rising flood. As the waters rose at the river, he prayed "God please deliver me." Not long after a fire truck rolls up, and the firefighter says "climb in, we're evacuating you." The man politely declines and says "don't worry about me, I've already prayed about it." Some time later the waters have risen, a DNR boat pulls in front of his house, and the man leans out his second story window to explain to the CO that he doesn't need the boat, he's already prayed for help. As the waters continue to rise, he has to climb my on to his roof, and a National Guard helicopter hovers over head to pull him in, but again the man refuses. He hangs on as long as he can, but eventually drowns. When he gets to Heaven, the Lord asks him "What questions do you have for me." The man asks "there at the very end, I prayed for your help, but I still died." To which the Lord replies "what did you want? I sent a fire truck, a boat and a helicopter!"

The saying goes: pray for a house with a hammer in your hand.

Hebrews 11:1 tells us "Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Really faith is a completely different thing from Hope. It's not just believing things will happen, but making the sacrifices to help bring them to pass. Without God's blessings, all our labors will eventually come to nothing. "Unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it." But simply wanting God to make something happen is insufficient. "Show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works." It is our great privilege that God includes us in His work, sort of like the kid who helps fix up the car that his dad bought for him to drive. We don't know how, and our labor is imperfect. So God corrects our mistakes and gives guidance. On the other hand, he won't just hand you the keys to a new car, either. The difference is, the Christian's great purpose isn't working to build his own little life, but laboring to build God's Kingdom.

And in that way, you could say this comes back to Billy Graham. He had the biggest audiences, the most offers of fame and fortune. He could have dwarfed the wealth of Roberts, Baker, Osteen, and Hinn. He could have been worth hundreds of millions. But the final analysis shows that the result of all his work has been hundreds of thousands saved by the Grace of God, and a legacy of one of the most active and successful charitable works in history.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I'm curious to see what the general consensus is about Frank. Between he and his father not honoring Ruth's wishes to be buried at the Cove, and Frank's opinions being at the very least, not as strong as his father's. Frank finally has his own personal Graceland which his mother called a circus before it became a circus.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's an old joke about prayer and faith:

A man was trapped in his house during a rising flood. As the waters rose at the river, he prayed "God please deliver me." Not long after a fire truck rolls up, and the firefighter says "climb in, we're evacuating you." The man politely declines and says "don't worry about me, I've already prayed about it." Some time later the waters have risen, a DNR boat pulls in front of his house, and the man leans out his second story window to explain to the CO that he doesn't need the boat, he's already prayed for help. As the waters continue to rise, he has to climb my on to his roof, and a National Guard helicopter hovers over head to pull him in, but again the man refuses. He hangs on as long as he can, but eventually drowns. When he gets to Heaven, the Lord asks him "What questions do you have for me." The man asks "there at the very end, I prayed for your help, but I still died." To which the Lord replies "what did you want? I sent a fire truck, a boat and a helicopter!"

The saying goes: pray for a house with a hammer in your hand.

Hebrews 11:1 tells us "Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Really faith is a completely different thing from Hope. It's not just believing things will happen, but making the sacrifices to help bring them to pass. Without God's blessings, all our labors will eventually come to nothing. "Unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it." But simply wanting God to make something happen is insufficient. "Show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works." It is our great privilege that God includes us in His work, sort of like the kid who helps fix up the car that his dad bought for him to drive. We don't know how, and our labor is imperfect. So God corrects our mistakes and gives guidance. On the other hand, he won't just hand you the keys to a new car, either. The difference is, the Christian's great purpose isn't working to build his own little life, but laboring to build God's Kingdom.

And in that way, you could say this comes back to Billy Graham. He had the biggest audiences, the most offers of fame and fortune. He could have dwarfed the wealth of Roberts, Baker, Osteen, and Hinn. He could have been worth hundreds of millions. But the final analysis shows that the result of all his work has been hundreds of thousands saved by the Grace of God, and a legacy of one of the most active and successful charitable works in history.

There is much to be considered in our faith.
    Are we actually being guided...???
    Are our decisions for guidance put to us in our decision making process. To make these decisions we have to weigh out what the end results of them could be. Are we getting input from a higher power....???
    Is living a life of Grace just choosing to be a better person.
    ..???
    Or is living this way being again guided/assisted by (insert favorite deity here) in that decision.

My daily prayer asks that my path intended be lit up for me. That I decide to take that path is not an obvious decision. There are no direct indicators as to which foot to put there. It is all up to me.
    I also ask for strength and patience in my travels through any given day. Is this provided or do I dig deeper and find it because I asked for the assistance.

I do know that if I fail to do this daily I have not the patience I really need in some matters. Is that actually just me or a lack of divine guidance.

This could bring some deep discussion. So many ways to see faith and the results of believing.

Again, believe if you have the desire. It is your decision after all.

Excuse me a moment please.....I need to ask for guidance.

MBG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indy-SW
    My only comment in this thread will be this. And you would have to dispute the entire article to ever get me to consider that there is any kind of an actual god. And once you did that, you would have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that your god was the one god and why every other religion in the history of the world is wrong... https://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You will find few believers on this board proselytizing for their faith anywhere near as desperately as atheists do for theirs

Prosit!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My only comment in this thread will be this. And you would have to dispute the entire article to ever get me to consider that there is any kind of an actual god. And once you did that, you would have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that your god was the one god and why every other religion in the history of the world is wrong... https://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

That's the job of the Holy Spirit, you cannot hide from Him.
    And that's only if He chooses you.
    "Many are called but few are chosen".
    "Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you."

Top Bottom