• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrownrfn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Indy
    We have been shopping for my wife her first carry handgun. She seems to like the beretta px4 storm compact .40. It fits her hand well especially with the thumb externder. Has anyone used one hows it fire. Any other suggestions? She doesnt want a wheel gun or one thats to thin.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Buy what she feels comfortable with the most. If it goes bang and it suits her, buy it. A gun that fits the shooter and still gets the job done is better than any top of the line, all the bells and whisles having gun that is awkward to hold grip shoot and all that good mumbo jumbo.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If she's never fired a .40, I would stick with 9. If she's only fired "steel" guns, polymers are snappier.

Everyone is different though. My wife can't shoot my g19 for ****. She outshoots me with her 1911 (mine that she stole) :)

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    My only advice...let her pick it. Preferably shoot it first, but never surprise her with a gun you "assume" she may like.

I bought my wife a ruger Plc 380 and she asked me what the hell she supposed to do with this! She just found it way too small for her hand. She really likes her Bersa 380.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Any other suggestions?

My wife and I recently went through some training and she was shooting my G19. Now she wants her own. What I tried to do was make buying her a gun something that she'd really want and like so I looked on gunbroker and found a guy who's a dealer with a regular shop but can put a quality coat of pink paint on the gun. By taking a G19 that she knows she already likes and making it a semi custom gun just for it will be something that she will enjoy shooting more. The guy is charging $500 for a G19 which is about average and the cerakote the plastic lower is only like $50 more. When you consider it's a brand new gen 3 G19 that my wife's already been trained on, already comfortable with, and would be willing & enjoy shooting it more it's really not that much of a debate on whether or not to spend the extra couple of bucks.

We can debate on what exact make and model of firearm to buy a wife to no end on the internet, but for me the gold standard of accuracy, reliability, and high capacity is the Glock 19. My wife is not a gun girl and since she's probably going to be a "one gun" girl I want her to have something that I know is going to work like it needs to.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Beretta PX are great guns...

Agree 150% on taking her to shoot the .40 and 9mm versions as she may like the overall feel but polymer frame will be fairly lively in the .40 version over 9mm...

If in the Indy area try http://www.bgfrange.com to see if they might have both as they have onsite range so your wife can shoot both before dropping the $$$'s.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Beretta PX are great guns...

Agree 150% on taking her to shoot the .40 and 9mm versions as she may like the overall feel but polymer frame will be fairly lively in the .40 version over 9mm...

If in the Indy area try http://www.bgfrange.com to see if they might have both as they have onsite range so your wife can shoot both before dropping the $$$'s.

Ditto.

The 9mm Storm is a great gun and actually has less felt recoil than my H&K. Very accurate out of the box and easy to field strip.

Try both calibers and let her choose.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    My Wifes pistol is a Gen 3 Glock 19. Bought it for her the day after our current President was elected to office. She shoots it well and the 9mm Glock is a shared platform in our home.

Last edited:

Robz703

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greenwood
    The gf has never been shooting ever. So I went ahead and got her a Walther p22 for her birthday. We went to the range and she put 100 rounds rounds through it and she loves it! She was pretty accurate with it. I figure she'll put a couple hundred more rounds through it and we'll start looking around for Glock 19 or a xds9 because she really likes my xdm45 compact. But definitely have your wife shoot it before buying it.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    We have been shopping for my wife her first carry handgun. She seems to like the beretta px4 storm compact .40. It fits her hand well especially with the thumb externder. Has anyone used one hows it fire. Any other suggestions? She doesnt want a wheel gun or one thats to thin.

I believe Indy Trading Post rents guns, so you can see if they have the px4 in both a 9 and .40 so she can see which one she likes better. You can also look for Family Indoor Shooting in Indy. Since I've never been to either store I can't really say much about them, but it doesn't hurt to look them up and see what they offer.

civilshoot582

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Morgan County
    The gf has never been shooting ever. So I went ahead and got her a Walther p22 for her birthday. We went to the range and she put 100 rounds rounds through it and she loves it! She was pretty accurate with it. I figure she'll put a couple hundred more rounds through it and we'll start looking around for Glock 19 or a xds9 because she really likes my xdm45 compact. But definitely have your wife shoot it before buying it.

I'm in a similar situation that you are. She just got a Walther P22 to practice with before she steps up to a bigger caliber. It's a good feeling when she starts showing as much enthusiasm as I have when it comes to shooting.

mopar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    greenfield, in
    Buy what she feels comfortable with the most. If it goes bang and it suits her, buy it. A gun that fits the shooter and still gets the job done is better than any top of the line, all the bells and whisles having gun that is awkward to hold grip shoot and all that good mumbo jumbo.
    That is great advise, buy what see likes not what you think she should like

JoeWop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Westfield
    Springfield XD9

My wife loves both of our Springfield XD 9mm guns. She isn't one that wants to carry often so the size isn't of importance, but once she finally gets to the LGS and touches an XDS I am sure we will be shopping for one.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I believe Indy Trading Post rents guns, so you can see if they have the px4 in both a 9 and .40 so she can see which one she likes better. You can also look for Family Indoor Shooting in Indy. Since I've never been to either store I can't really say much about them, but it doesn't hurt to look them up and see what they offer.

Don't forget Beech Grove Firearms ..... also ..... Good selection, good people ..... :yesway:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'll start by saying I hope she can find something she's comfortable and accurate with.

In my opinion, it's impossible to know what kind of firearm someone is going to feel most comfortable with. I have a cousin who was interested in getting a Ruger LCR for a carry gun. I gave her my S&W 642 so she could shoot something similar and she decided very quickly that she was no longer interested in a small, lightweight revolver. She shot my Glock 19 well, but found the grip uncomfortable. She then shot my XD45 and loved it. She only wished it had a shorter grip, and now wants an XD45 Compact.

As others have mentioned, there are shooting ranges that will allow you to rent a variety of handguns and "try before you buy". I strongly suggest this. Best of luck!

Top Bottom