WHYYYYY are you giving in to these .22lr gougers!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have to agree that the 22 retail is no longer a free market.

It stopped being an effective free market when the folks started actively using the benefit of their free time to abuse the retail distribution channels and effectively cut off distribution to the masses. Anyone who knows the restock schedule and regularly shows up as it comes off the truck to buy it all is removing the free market piece in effect. Its no longer free when the average person can walk in and buy it any time (within reason) because the flippers are showing up with their friends to clean the shelves on purpose before the boxes can even be placed on the shelves. Those are the folks that need to DIAF for abusing the system.

So you bought two boxes because you HAPPENED to be there mid afternoon some thursday and they had some and you want to sell off the second box for an extra $10 because you realized you had more at home than you thought? OK. but if you are actively flipping just to make a buck because you can, F-You.

Just because you can, doesnt mean you should. its called being a decent human being. And if your defense as a flipper is "well, If I didnt do it, somebody else would!" you really need to reexamine your principles.

I don't think you understand capitalism. This isn't some failure of "the system", this is how "the system" operates. Capitalism: those who have the money, opportunity, and desire to purchase goods or services will do so. If you don't like the fact that some guy swept the shelves clean five minutes before you showed up, show up earlier next time. Again, "decency" may be expected in a civil society, but I certainly wouldn't - and don't - expect it in the market. (I would also note that I don't really expect much 'civility' out of 'civil' society, either. You'd be amazed how many people don't even turn their brights off in NWI even when passing in a vehicle on a two-lane road.) Asking that people die in a fire for exercising the driving principle of capitalism is a worrisome expression of anger. You shouldn't let other people raise your blood pressure or get to you. The only options are to wait and find some before the "flippers" do, wait until supply catches up with demand and hopefully the price thus drops to a level more commensurate with what you're willing to pay. However, a poster on here who seemed very knowledgeable about the subject recently posted that it would be in the realm of 5 years or so for supply to even come close to catching up to demand, and even then the price will necessarily go up. What if the new "flipper" price is the new manufacturers' price? Should they too "die in a fire" because they wish to maximize profit?

Capitalism: learn it, live it, love it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    With my luck I'm thinking I should play the lottery for the first time in 30+ years. Maybe thumb my nose at a cop. I bet I wouldn't even get wet if I spit into the wind. I could surely buy a new S&W E series without telling the wife and get away with it. Yeah, two-tone scandium alloy. Eh, no, better not push it.

But I am feelin mighty lucky. Every few weeks or so I stop at Cabella's on the way to work and see what they have. I went a few weeks ago and bought the last they had, a brick of Federal, for around $23. Went again this morning to see if they had 5.56/.223 on sale. They had poop loads but they wanted $0.50/rd for Federal XM193. Pass.

But then an employee walked up carrying 3 or 4 bricks of Blazer 22LR and asked if I wanted one, "sure." At $27 it wasn't the greatest deal around, but I should be good to go now for a few months of range time plinkin'.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Someone offered someone $25 and $36 a bulk pack in the marketplace on this forum and the sellers response was "don't lowball me". I didn't reply, but wanted to say, don't gouge. I would much rather not shoot and save what I have then pay that much for 22. At least 9mm seems to be descent in stock again.

I could be mistaken, but it appears that maybe some .22LR is finally being ignored by INGOers in the classifieds? At least a couple adds for high priced stuff seem to have moved through the weekend and further with bumps and no activity? :dunno:

...but hell yes! 'Bout time! :rockwoot:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I could be mistaken, but it appears that maybe some .22LR is finally being ignored by INGOers in the classifieds? At least a couple adds for high priced stuff seem to have moved through the weekend and further with bumps and no activity? :dunno:

My ad wasn't ignored.. but it was removed. :D

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy

I've noticed that as well and have been meaning to point it out here.

I don't think we're even close to out of the woods yet though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've noticed that as well and have been meaning to point it out here.

I don't think we're even close to out of the woods yet though.

At least it seems the message has gotten out to INGOers to NOT support the flippers, lest we help fuel this now manufactured "ammo shortage crisis."
    There was a time not too long ago, that popular well known INGOers were openly supporting the flippers.
    Hopefully, I'm not too early or bold in proclaiming that our productive conversations have educated folks. :ingo:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    At least it seems the message has gotten out to INGOers to NOT support the flippers, lest we help fuel this now manufactured "ammo shortage crisis."
    There was a time not too long ago, that popular well known INGOers were openly supporting the flippers.
    Hopefully, I'm not too early or bold in proclaiming that our productive conversations have educated folks. :ingo:

I still support them. I just won't do it myself, even if some of my ads appeared to be that of a flipper

Last edited:

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy

Actually I've been arguing for 20 pages in favor of gouging, whoops, I mean market driven pricing.

I think if folks need 22, they're going to spend whatever it's worth to them regardless of what the INGO community thinks.

Any change in the market results in a subsequent change in behavior, and that's probably what we're seeing now. Fewer 22 firearms being purchased, more ammo being saved rather than wasted, people deciding they might as well reload other calibers given current pricing, etc etc.

These reactions happen slowly though, and thus take time to have an effect on demand.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Prime example why I bought a 40s&w upper for my ar today instead of a 22. I can reload cheaper than I can get 22s. IF and when 22s settle down in price I will get a bulk pack once a week whether I need it or not to stock up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Actually I've been arguing for 20 pages in favor of gouging, whoops, I mean market driven pricing.

I think if folks need 22, they're going to spend whatever it's worth to them regardless of what the INGO community thinks.

With all due respect, I quit reading your posts after the first repetitious five or so in a row. :)
    Hopefully you are mistaken in your weak opinion of INGOer's ability to listen and learn from their fellow members? Regardless, the lack of active flipper success in our classifieds is good for all of us.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    With all due respect, I quit reading your posts after the first repetitious five or so in a row. :)
    Hopefully you are mistaken in your weak opinion of INGOer's ability to listen and learn from their fellow members? Regardless, the lack of active flipper success in our classifieds is good for all of us.

Well excuse me for repeating myself, but some of you insist on distorting my arguments and repeating the same nonsense after I thoroughly debunk it. It took me about 2 pages to explain the definition of the word "supply" alone.

Either way, sales go down, prices go down, sales go up, prices settle. There is no increase in supply that I'm aware of, so that's the only explanation.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    All I have to say on the matter is that flippers aren't responsible for this shortage. Yes, they are most certainly taking advantage of the situation and capitalizing on it, but they aren't feeding it. Even people who normally wouldn't buy .22LR ammo are buying it when they see it on the shelf, simply because it is there. There is a shortage of regularly-priced .22LR (note that I didn't say an all-out shortage), and they will buy it if they see it. No one at my local Wal-Mart is buying it to flip it, yet is still doesn't last long. Flipper or not, someone is always going to buy it when they know it is there.

Top Bottom