Why you shouldn't take the police's word...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This is not a bash LEO thread. PERIOD. Mods, if it becomes that, delete the posts, pass out infractions, and close the thread, whatever. I will not allow this to be a thread where people can bash them; I respect our LEO's and support them.

If anyone, which most of you have, is following the NJ scenario where a guy was arrested for transporting firearms, this is in reference to the call he made to the police to verify policy.

There are several points that could be made about the story, but I want to focus on the fact that he called the state police to get information. That information was later said to be inadmissible in the court by the judge. Now I know the judge has been removed, and there could be a whole lot said, put simply put just because you heard it on the phone from the police, does not mean you are covered!

We see posts all the time where people ask a question, and someone responds with, “call the police department” or “the State Police told me this”

The information may be right or wrong, but it doesn’t matter if the judge throws it out. Sounds like that judge has had some other issues but it could happen just about anywhere. Get it in writing, better yet, get the statute that states you are within the law (or that you are not in violation of the law). Sure a letter may not be admissible, but a letter will hold more weight than an unrecorded phone call you had with someone that answered the phone.

We all need to be extremely careful with the way we precede when the law is involved. Luckily Indiana is pretty gun friendly, but people can be crazy and we cannot assume that they will think logically.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago the NRA waded into the NJ mess. Hunters traveling through NJ were being profiled by stickers on their glass or bumper by the NJSP. The state police used this as a reason to pull the hunters over and search thier car, resulting in confiscation and prosecution.

It's really just a place to be avoided, all the corruption of mexico without the warm climate. The culture there looks at you as an oppourtunity, you are "the stuff that falls off trucks", which is the local term for theft.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    We all get the wrong info some times and accidentally pass it along. Police officers are people just like us, right? Any way I've been told I could carry my hand gun with out a permit by the person who does the interview for hand gun permits in Columbus. I was smart and double checked with ISP and INGO before I did that. Some times, bad info is passed which sucks, but we're only human.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The cops don't know all of the rules, laws, local ordinances etc. PERIOD! Who does? If you're going to place yourself into a situation that might be questionable to some, do your research, know the law from personally reading it, not second hand or third hand information. Be prepared, and not just with the citations but be prepared to be hassled by some guy that has to deal with jailhouse lawyers all the time, if they bust you anyway you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a lawyer for an open and shut case.

Maybe oversimplification, maybe not. I'm just another guy that heard from a buddies uncle that used to work as backup security for a company that just in case shtf then they might know a guy that read it on the back of a book of matches one time.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Keep in mind though, without proof it's just hearsay. So in court if u say, "the popo told me I could" then Youll need evidence to back that up or it gets thrown out.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    pretty much if its not in writting or on tape it never happened. the police dont make the laws, nor are they the ones to ask about the law since most of their law training is based on hearsay and false talk or opinion that gets turned into the gospel. the law NOT THE POLICE is the final word anyways, so even if a cop tells you that you can run down the street naked, another cop could pull up and arrest you and your not gonna get off just cause one said you could do it, because the REAL LAW says you cant. ignorance of the law is not vindication for citizens or police.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    How about just not placing yourself in Jersey?

As a free citizen of these United States, why would I even consider limiting where I choose to travel? Knock New Jersey all you want but the Southern part of the state and the Pine Barrens area are as beautiful as our own Brown County.
    I'm generally in favor of states rights vs federal law but in the case of firearms ownership and possession of such, the 2A (The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed) pretty much covers it. Any law-abiding citizen should be able to travel freely through any state possessing (i.e transporting openly, concealed, locked in a box, in the trunk with their junk, etc.) any weapon they legally own.
    While I agree and generally support the idea that state and local governments should be passing and enforcing the majority of our laws, I'd agree to a Federal Law covering firearms as outlined in the last sentence of my second paragraph.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    As a free citizen of these United States, why would I even consider limiting where I choose to travel? Knock New Jersey all you want but the Southern part of the state and the Pine Barrens area are as beautiful as our own Brown County.
    I'm generally in favor of states rights vs federal law but in the case of firearms ownership and possession of such, the 2A (The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed) pretty much covers it. Any law-abiding citizen should be able to travel freely through any state possessing (i.e transporting openly, concealed, locked in a box, in the trunk with their junk, etc.) any weapon they legally own.
    While I agree and generally support the idea that state and local governments should be passing and enforcing the majority of our laws, I'd agree to a Federal Law covering firearms as outlined in the last sentence of my second paragraph.

Personally, I'll always be in favor of federal laws preventing state governments from stripping me of my rights. Some people, even around here, would rather lose their right to keep and bear arms entirely than have the feds prevent that from happening.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Personally, I'll always be in favor of federal laws preventing state governments from stripping me of my rights. Some people, even around here, would rather lose their right to keep and bear arms entirely than have the feds prevent that from happening.

Why am I not surprised to find myself in agreement with a fellow B-Burger :D

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    The police are paid to arrest people. That is what a policeman does.

So, they OUGHT to be enforcing the law.

The issue is that there is so much legislation and code that has been produced by our own representatives over the years that nobody can really go through life without having broken a law somewhere.

All a police officer has to do is decide you need to be arrested for something and just follow you around until you break a law - traffic violation, statute, etc.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am not bashing cops but often they just say what they want. I have had several Allen County sherrifs deputies tell me it is illegal to open carry even though when I ask them for the statute they cannot produce it believe me I have had a judge tell me it is perfectly legal.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Contrary to what you read on INGO, most cops don't treat every citizen they come into contact with as a criminal.

That's a subjective opinion. :dunno: Everyone has different experiences and opinions. I've had several encounters with police who acted in an illegal and unsafe manner, and I've had encounters where they acted within the constraints of their authority. I suspect the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Are there many police officers who are a disgrace? Yes. Are there many police officers who do their job correctly? Yes. It's the officers that act incorrectly that reinforce the negative image of the police. :twocents:

Top Bottom