• BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What is the title of that document?

Oh, right: "Improving Intersections for Pedestrians and Bicyclists"

So, what does that imply about inherent design of those intersections? Why, pray tell, does the design of intersections need to be improved?

(Edit: this is actually an interesting document and I appreciate you posting it. I'm actually interested in reading through it to understand the recommended changes to the design of intersections.)
    I skimmed some of it, like most of woketopia they're in love with roundabouts. Two thumbs down

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    MjAxMy1jOTQ0MmFkZDJjMWZlYjQ0_51bf33622c0d6.png
    1711674828703.png

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That said the rules of use have nothing to do with the privileges of each user.
    If I were to create a visualization of this sentence I think I would make one of these.

1711675232866.png

I don’t have to imagine, this thread is full of those that want to take or reduce the privileges of cyclists, including you.

Well. Have you considered that you have too many privileges? :): When I become grand poobah of the world, After I ban pineapple on pizza, of course, I'm gonna decree that you may only ride a neon pink bike. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But then, I'll decree that you may only spend 30 seconds in the middle of the lane during any contiguous 5 minute period, and that you must yield right of way to everything. I mean everything. And don't complain that it's hard to see ants crossing the road. Not my problem.

Other cyclists get to retain their full privileges, though. Except if they are more than 5 lbs above their ideal weight, they are forbidden to wear spandex.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, I got it now, because new technology in the bicycle world has nothing to do with the humans comfort in mind. But yet new technology everywhere else it does.

Like seat technology. I prefer A.R.S. Good padding for the sit bones in just the right place. Nice ventilation for the family jewels. If you're looking for a comfy seat, try the A.R.S for the arse.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I skimmed some of it, like most of woketopia they're in love with roundabouts. Two thumbs down
    I've been called weird before. I like roundabouts. So what? They make more sense to me than 4 way stops. The thing I don't like about them is that they're spendy.

It's hilarious watching old people try to figure out what to do. Here's the satellite view of a small roundabout near Bass Pro Shop in Clarksville IN.

1711676664050.png

I saw an old lady driving on River Falls Perimeter Rd heading NE and she wanted to get on Bass Pro Dr heading NW. Instead of going around the roundabout 270 degrees, she put her left turn signal on, and drove over the curb onto the grass in the middle of the roundabout, and made the left turn.

She probably wondered why they grew grass in the middle of the intersection. :):

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Like seat technology. I prefer A.R.S. Good padding for the sit bones in just the right place. Nice ventilation for the family jewels. If you're looking for a comfy seat, try the A.R.S for the arse.
    But..But, I just learned here that modern bicycle technology has nothing to do with comfort...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've been called weird before. I like roundabouts. So what? They make more sense to me than 4 way stops. The thing I don't like about them is that they're spendy.

It's hilarious watching old people try to figure out what to do. Here's the satellite view of a small roundabout near Bass Pro Shop in Clarksville IN.

View attachment 343221

I saw an old lady driving on River Falls Perimeter Rd heading NE and she wanted to get on Bass Pro Dr heading NW. Instead of going around the roundabout 270 degrees, she put her left turn signal on, and drove over the curb onto the grass in the middle of the roundabout, and made the left turn.

She probably wondered why they grew grass in the middle of the intersection. :):
    Whats hilarious is watching any Hoosier use a roundabout.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, I got it now, because new technology in the bicycle world has nothing to do with the humans comfort in mind. But yet new technology everywhere else it does.
    Some technology in the bicycle world is aimed out squeezing as much efficiency as possible out of the really anemic power plant, comfort is an secondary consideration subservient to that

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This guide, published in 2022, would not need to be published at all, if the engineering design of road intersections already/previously considered bicycles. Once again, he proves my point that engineering design of roads generally and primarily considers motor vehicles.
    Funny, I thought the point you wanted to make was that 'bicycles are not considered in road design', they obviously are but some roads are old enough that they predate those considerations. If you want to go back that far, I'm pretty sure you could safely say the viae Romanae did not consider bicycles in their design (unless, of course, you wish to consider chariots to be a type of bi cycle)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We know that there are two cyclists in the photo. One is more likely than the other to be a moron.

Not an interstate. Looks like a stop light ahead that applies to the traffic bound in that direction on that road.

Who knows where he needs to go. Is he joy riding? Is he on his way to his mistress’s place?

Except that at least one rider is a moron.
    What if the cyclist you take issue with will be turning left at that stop light. What if the other cyclist is actually on the sidewalk and it isn't a bike lane?

A moments thought is all that's required to think there may be a rational reason for them to be where they are

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

View attachment 343221

My real complaint with the new love for roundabouts is they are too big. They only need to be one lane because they aren't large enough to stay in the inner lane if you are going to the far side because that trip only takes five seconds. At that size, they should give the average moron behind the wheel as few choices to make as possible and they'd have less trouble

The real roundabouts back east took up a whole block and were often the town square, so multiple lanes made more sense

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What if the cyclist you take issue with will be turning left at that stop light. What if the other cyclist is actually on the sidewalk and it isn't a bike lane?

A moments thought is all that's required to think there may be a rational reason for them to be where they are
    Printcraft already debunked that.

Top Bottom