• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sigh. I half expect someone to come in here and tell me how the cyclist 'got what he deserved'

Felipe Avalos, 66, was driving south on Broadway in a white van when he crashed into a bicyclist crossing near 115th Street around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday, a collision that forced the bicyclist onto the road, the Los Angeles Police Department said in a news release.

Avalos ran over the bicyclist, who became lodged in the van’s undercarriage, and continued to drive south on Broadway, turning several times on side streets for roughly a mile, according to the LAPD.

Fox 11 News reports the bicyclist’s body left a trail of blood, torn clothing and body parts as it was dragged by the van.

The bicyclist finally became dislodged from underneath the van at Broadway and El Segundo Boulevard in Compton, and Avalos drove away without stopping to help the bicyclist, police said. The bicyclist was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Just for some info on safe distances and passing:
    • 3 feet - That is the safe distance a motor vehicle is required by law to maintain from a cyclist.
    • A bill signed into law in 2019 (I believe) allows a motor vehicle to cross a double yellow line to safely pass a cyclist. You must move back to your right lane as soon as you are safely past the cyclist.
    I don't ride bikes on public roads any longer. I haven't ridden my road bike in probably 5 years. If cyclists here think traffic is "interesting" to navigate on a bike, they should go to Budapest, Hungary try riding there. Indiana drivers will then seem really kind.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a solution. Bike lanes. Yeah. I know. I hate them too. But. Here me out.

Bike lanes would be paid for through special taxes levied on the people who use them. You only get to ride in designated bike lanes on public streets. And you have to have your bike registered and tagged to use them. And that fee you pay to have your bike registered pays for the bike lanes so I don't have to, unless I want to ride my bike on the road.
    I'd be fine with Bike Lanes, if they gave cyclists a ticket everywhere ELSE.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That logic escapes me..
    they are not recreational. Farm equipment.. taxed and Horses with buggies now have to have plates Yes some folks ride to work but very small portion. At my plant.. 2 guys ride bicycles versus 600 + people that drive vehicles
    Most cyclists are doing for recreation.. indiana doesn’t require plates on bicycles somehow this doesn’t make sense But somehow this thought process keeps getting further out
    All are legal to use roadways. Reason for using does not matter…

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I am willing to change my mind... if I could at least drive my truck down the bike trial near me when ever I wanted and they had to watch out for me there.

I have very personal, meaningful reasons for it. like it would be shorter for me going to the hardware store. That saves on gas, which saves me money. Also means less pollution. So it is better for the environment.

And it would make fishing a little easier, which is a hobby I am passionate about. Sure there are others ways to go about it, but this seems like the most convenient solution. For me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    First I'll say I don't hate anyone but I am extremely annoyed by bicycles OR exercise walking on a public road. Just a couple of scenarios for the bikers and walkers to consider.
    You are out for your afternoon exercise ride and you encounter a Yoga class that has decided the best place for the class in on a public thoroughfare. These people all own vehicles so it's their road just as much as yours to use. Yoga is exercise just as bicycling and walking so your options are to wait until the class concludes or cross a double yellow line into oncoming traffic to go around them. Keep in mind you can and probably will be ticketed for crossing the yellow line if a LEO observes you..

Second, actually happened to me today. Following a cement truck for at least 2 miles going 20 MPH in a 45 and was starting to wonder if the driver was having some kind of medical emergency. Finally traffic clears and because of the pedal toy (thanks BBIs) and the width of his vehicle he's forced at least 4 feet over the double yellow to safely pass the bike and continue on at a normal speed. I am also forced over the double yellow to safely pass the biker or I could have continued on at 20 MPH for who knows how long. Not really the biker's fault but there's simply no room to pass even one bike safely without forcing motorists to break the law by crossing the double yellow.. It seems you think it's acceptable for me to chance a traffic fine (or head on collision) for you to get some exercise I think you should think again how inconsiderate and dangerous your behavior is for everyone involved. Just my .02
    They are legally recognized as a vehicle so pass when it is safe to cross the double yellow. Not complicated…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Eh. I got bad knees. I quit cycling because afterwards my knees ached. So my wife got the bright idea during covid that I could start riding again if I got an e-bike. And it's ugly. But I like it. It's enabled me to enjoy it again.
    Maybe you should just get new knees...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's like SR 446 from Bloomington to Lake Monroe. Hilly and winding, and lots of RVs, trucks pulling trailers, dump trucks, etc. on that road, yet the cyclists still use it.
    Not familiar with the logistics of the area. Is there a reason those cyclists are there? Is it a route to the rural roads from the suburbanized areas? Seems odd cyclists put themselves in harms way…

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They are legally recognized as a vehicle so pass when it is safe to cross the double yellow. Not complicated…
    Not quite that they are recognized as a vehicle. Passing any other vehicle except a bike/e-bike is illegal on a double yellow. And generally IME double yellow are put in place because it is unsafe to pass in those areas. So it's unsafe to pass, but because you're passing a bike it magically makes it okay?

What is momentum if not getting back up to speed?
    It doesn't matter to momentum the time it takes to acquire it. I believe he was differentiating between the effort to achieve momentum vs the time it takes to acquire it. The rider has to expend X amount of energy to regain speed, in addition to that energy it takes X amount of time. I guarantee it takes much less time to achieve 35 mph in my truck than it would have taken me on my bike.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Eh. I got bad knees. I quit cycling because afterwards my knees ached. So my wife got the bright idea during covid that I could start riding again if I got an e-bike. And it's ugly. But I like it. It's enabled me to enjoy it again.
    My cousin bought e-bikes for his wife and him. He loves it, Says he gets the same amount of exercise, just goes farther and faster while getting it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not familiar with the logistics of the area. Is there a reason those cyclists are there? Is it a route to the rural roads from the suburbanized areas? Seems odd cyclists put themselves in harms way…
    It's close to IU, and it eventually crosses the lake and goes past Deam Wilderness and other lake access points. It's basically just a hilly, windy road, the kind that cyclists seem to prefer. :dunno:

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I get both sides of this, been stuck behind a set of cyclists giving a bad name by taking up too much of the road. As a cyclist, also been honked at when turning an not in the way. Common courtesy and a smidge of patience is almost non-existent these days. It's a 2 way street. These days I just normally ride off hours or on a path for leisure. Life's too short for the drama of dumb.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No problem. They just need to follow the law.

Cyclists have hit 2 of my employees on the sidewalk, where they are not to be.

Stay off the sidewalk in the downtown business district of Lafayette and we cool.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd be fine with Bike Lanes, if they gave cyclists a ticket everywhere ELSE.
    Public streets with motorists and cyclists both is dangerous for the cyclists. Separating them makes the mist sense to me except it’s expensive. So if they want to commute on public roads they can pay for the bike lanes through a registration process.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    To all the guys with issues with bike riders, just how many bikes are you encountering and how many of those are you having issues with in a typical week?
    Depends on which day, weekday about 4 per day, Saturdays and Sundays are the worst. Maybe a dozen each day. It is the spandex dudes that are the worse, they ride in pairs and don't get over for anything. The Amish ride in large groups like a family, but they typically will get over.
    Since they put in the bike freeway from Goshen to Shipshe, one county road is horrible because the traffic goes both ways and is always packed. Only place where the trail has to go down the public road.

Top Bottom