• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Cyclists are just another entitled group that thinks that they should have say control over others then.
    The disconnect and irony in this post is remarkable. The whole premise of the thread is entitled vehicle drivers that cannot be delayed for a moment by a bicyclist and want to control their usage of roads and erroneously suggesting that cyclists do not pay taxes that go to roads…

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    erroneously suggesting that cyclists do not pay taxes that go to roads…
    I don't advocate banning bicycles from roads.

However, it is a simple fact that drivers of gasoline or diesel powdered vehicles pay specific taxes, that are more or less proportionate to the amount of time they spend operating said vehicles on the road, and are specifically designated for use in building/repairing said roads. There is no equivalent tax for time spent cycling on the road.

The implications of this fact may or may not have anything to do with the debate over what the proper way for cyclists to use or not use public roads is. But trying to obfuscate this fact isn't helping.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The disconnect and irony in this post is remarkable. The whole premise of the thread is entitled vehicle drivers that cannot be delayed for a moment by a bicyclist and want to control their usage of roads and erroneously suggesting that cyclists do not pay taxes that go to roads…
    Think of it this way bicyclists are like union workers not doing their fair share. Holding up assembly lines. Causing other more productive members of society to be unproductive.

They are like people who vote for 3rd party candidates possibly Causing a republican to lose. Sacrificing good enough trying to get perfect.

Why daylight savings time is a good idea to force on us all.

Etc.

Then read your posts about such things.

Having convinced yourself of the error of your ways, you can post a retraction here.

No one reads them anyway.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    However, it is a simple fact that drivers of gasoline or diesel powdered vehicles pay specific taxes, that are more or less proportionate to the amount of time they spend operating said vehicles on the road, and are specifically designated for use in building/repairing said roads. There is no equivalent tax for time spent cycling on the road.
    Should it be measured by time or miles?

How much repair is required for the road damage done by trucks/cars versus the damage done by cyclists?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Public streets with motorists and cyclists both is dangerous for the cyclists. Separating them makes the mist sense to me except it’s expensive. So if they want to commute on public roads they can pay for the bike lanes through a registration process.
    Or, another solution is to make it equally dangerous for the motorists who don't care about anything but those 5 seconds

Ride with a GoPro, document the willful endangerment and doxx the perpetrator on social media. Might as well put cancel culture to good use

If one injured me and I had the proof he/she/it was careless and cavalier, I would sue them and force them to sell everything they had just to pay me. I would subpoena their cell phone records and insist they be blood tested because it is an injury accident. I'd leave them with so little money they'd be ... you guessed it ... riding a bicycle to get around

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    How much repair is required for the road damage done by trucks/cars versus the damage done by cyclists?
    A very fair point.

Maybe it's fair that trucks/cars are assessed certain taxes to pay for roads, and bicycles aren't. I'm not really arguing for/against it, I'm just pointing out that it is currently that way, and I don't like it when people try to obfuscate the fact.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They don’t. The disparity between cars and semi’s is notable, but we’ve managed to coexist with fewer issues than with bikes and every type of motor-vehicle sharing the road. It seems a major problem with compatibility seems to be the arrogance and sense of entitlement with cyclists. jamil’s law of dickhead quotient states that hatred and anger towards a group, after factoring out immutable characteristics, is directly proportional to the dickhead ratio of the group.
    I suspect the anger is due more to the fact that 99.99% of the cheesed-off drivers know in their heart of hearts that the cyclists are effortlessly doing something most of those drivers couldn't pull off in a million years

Just the mere presence of someone who can easily ride 20 miles for pleasure is interpreted as fat-shaming

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Right on cue for this thread, today, about 30 minutes ago, I’m almost home, and come to a stop at the tee intersection. No cars coming from any direction, nothing but a lone spandex boi about 100 yards to my right, heading the direction I was turning. I turn, and out of the corner of my eye, I see spandex boi about 15 feet from my truck, well past the stop sign he should have been stopping at by now.

It’s a wide intersection, so he had plenty of room to not hit my truck, which he didn’t, but I couldn’t resist yelling out the window “OBEY THE ****ING TRAFFIC LAWS!!

Guy never raised his head, just kept peddling like nothing happened.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    To all the guys with issues with bike riders, just how many bikes are you encountering and how many of those are you having issues with in a typical week?
    Today? Two. One was significantly more ridiculous than the other, the first one this morning I actually waved on after he slammed on his brakes coming out of a parking lot.

I’m surrounded by bike trails, I ride them myself, and have zero issues with everyone else that rides the trails, but when the weather is decent, it brings out every Lance Armstrong wannabe in the area, and THOSE are the inconsiderate, arrogant pricks that enthusiastically endanger themselves and others by impeding vehicle traffic. That’s pretty much an every day occurrence here when the weather is nice.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I suspect the anger is due more to the fact that 99.99% of the cheesed-off drivers know in their heart of hearts that the cyclists are effortlessly doing something most of those drivers couldn't pull off in a million years

Just the mere presence of someone who can easily ride 20 miles for pleasure is interpreted as fat-shaming
    I have no envy for anyone who willingly endangers themselves by riding a bike in traffic. No sympathy either.

Traumatic brain injury, broken bones, not being able to make a living anymore, or possibly even dead? No thanks, but you do you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have no envy for anyone who willingly endangers themselves by riding a bike in traffic. No sympathy either.

Traumatic brain injury, broken bones, not being able to make a living anymore, or possibly even dead? No thanks, but you do you.
    We have (cars/trucks) have mandated insurance, seat belts, airbags, license plates, driver's licenses, etc.

Maybe ALL vehicles on the road need similar (equivalent) rules.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Think of it this way bicyclists are like union workers not doing their fair share. Holding up assembly lines. Causing other more productive members of society to be unproductive.

They are like people who vote for 3rd party candidates possibly Causing a republican to lose. Sacrificing good enough trying to get perfect.

Why daylight savings time is a good idea to force on us all.

Etc.

Then read your posts about such things.

Having convinced yourself of the error of your ways, you can post a retraction here.

No one reads them anyway.
    iu

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Cyclists on single lane roads oblivious to frustrated drivers stacked up behind them who won't take a break and let motorists by.

In many cases, on the road when there is a paved bicycle path RIGHT THERE!
    Why don't 'frustrated drivers' take the interstate, which is limited to just their kind of vehicles

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I feel like this thread is on the cusp of going epic. Therefore, I was here.

I feel like the older we get, the more we split off into 2 groups. Those who get annoyed by everything and those who get annoyed by almost nothing. I am actively pursuing the latter.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I feel like this thread is on the cusp of going epic. Therefore, I was here.

I feel like the older we get, the more we split off into 2 groups. Those who get annoyed by everything and those who get annoyed by almost nothing. I am actively pursuing the latter.

Speaking as a member of the former…this annoys me.

Top Bottom