Why pay a premium for a Glock, or CZ, or H&K?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    Kind of like learning to drive on a manual transmission.
    Early 90’s Ford Ranger for me. A Navy buddy had one at my first duty station when we both lived in the barracks, I had never driven one before and he was determined to teach me how. I had no car back then, and I think he wanted to take turns with driver duties. Haha.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Early 90’s Ford Ranger for me. A Navy buddy had one at my first duty station when we both lived in the barracks, I had never driven one before and he was determined to teach me how. I had no car back then, and I think he wanted to take turns with driver duties. Haha.
    74 Mustang II with more holes than floorboards for me. Didn't keep it long.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I have asked that same question. I will tell you, my neighbor loves his Taurus , thousands of rounds no issues . I have spoken to others and no issues. Glock is cool though because there is so many accessories for it. I just saw something that clips on the front that essentially adds another magazine on it. Also those Roni and all different magazines, 30 round mags etc. Also, the other firearms that take those glock magazines in ar 15 platforms. That is cool. I wonder about the glock being made in the usa if it is as good or just the same as it was before?
    Be careful adding a magazine to the Pic rail on any handgun. If it can be used as a second "vertical grip" that re-classifies it as an NFA regulated AOW.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you are a shooter, buying quality guns will save you hundreds of dollars. Buy cheap and you will eventually upgrade the gun. You will go through this cycle over and over if you are a shooter because shooting bottom shelf guns sucks if you really are a shooter. Save yourself time and money and buy a quality gun at the start and you will never regret it.

Now, if you are not a shooter and will only put a couple of boxes of ammo a year through the gun, the buy any old crap you want as long as it’s reliable. If a gun is just going to live in a sock drawer, it doesn’t matter how good the trigger is

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I started with Bersa's and remember wondering why people buy more expensive guns when the Bersa Compact 9mm did everything I wanted it to do. Then I started to shoot a lot and quickly learned why people buy more expensive guns

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I started with Bersa's and remember wondering why people buy more expensive guns when the Bersa Compact 9mm did everything I wanted it to do. Then I started to shoot a lot and quickly learned why people buy more expensive guns

That's a very good point!

Perception and practice can vary a lot with opinions of whether a pistol is "as good as." A magazine or two fired at close range a couple times a year is way different than regular 200 round range sessions, shooting realist training drills. Let alone, a little pressure to push yourself and the equipment in some beginner level competition shooting, like steel matches.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I will agree with the majority opinion that when it comes to buying ANY firearm if God forbid the instant should arise, one would use to defend one's own life or their families lives if one can afford it one should invest in a firearm manufacturer who's reputation for reliability is beyond all doubt.
    Glock, S&W M&P, Sig, H&K, are just such HG manufacturers.

IMO price point is not enough of a consideration when it comes to HG's I intend on using for personal protection, in so much if I shoot two guns equally well and both have equal reputations for reliability I will but the cheaper model. Conversely I will not buy the cheaper HG if I shoot the more costly one better. Yes I avoided some H&K HG's because of cost (VP9 not among them) but when it came time to buy a FS HG I chose the more expensive P320 platform over the more affordable S&W M&P and Glock because I simply shot the P320 that much better essentially instantly. Not to mention both Glock and M&P mags are more affordable than Sig OEM mags, especially Glock OEM mags.
    When I decided to buy a dedicated CC HG I chose the S&W Shield because I shot it VERY well, and back in 2012 there were very few micro ultra compact HG's with decent capacity anywhere even near my price range. I chose the Shield back in 2012 over the Kahr for the Shields (IMO) better trigger and shootability and the fact it was considerably cheaper was great, but if I had shot and liked the Kahr better I would have chosen it regardless of it's higher cost.
    For extreme concealability I chose the S&W Shield because I shot it very well and it met all my requirements for deep concealed capability maximum easy to carry good capacity HG. I knew if I bought a HG that was even slightly to large or heavy and there fore more difficult to carry and conceal easily, especially in the miserably hot summers of NW IN, I would end up not carrying it as often as I would like to. The Shield has been my go to CC HG for 9 years now of carrying it the FOR ME the perfect HG when you need a HG you can carry while out in public space areas in any weather and any clothes other than swimming trunks.

No offence but I wouldn't use Taurus as a self defense firearm. Come to think of it save for my muzzleloaders, I consider ALL my firearms as potential self defense firearms. True I wouldn't use some as my first choice, but all my firearms are of good enough quality that I wouldn't have ANY doubts that they will ever go bang when needed to.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    I honestly haven't had an opportunity to fire it yet. I'll report back once I do.

I was able to fire the Taurus G3C yesterday. I fired a little over 150 rounds through it. Most would agree it's still getting broken in at t his point. I had one fail to fire, I ejected it, and reloaded it, and it fired. The firearm was very accurate at 25 feet. I didn't like the trigger at first, and I believe it's going to take some additional time to get used to it. I'm pleased with it as a sub $300 firearm currently. I will have to decide how I feel about the trigger after a few more trips to the range.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much...most who start with a Taurus, quickly move up when they discover the truth and can afford to...
    Old Adage: You get what you pay for!!!
    i startex with a hipoint and moved up to a sig. then went to a taurus. lol

love my taurus like my 2nd cousin. love my sig like i love myself. wouldn't do without either.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I was able to fire the Taurus G3C yesterday. I fired a little over 150 rounds through it. Most would agree it's still getting broken in at t his point. I had one fail to fire, I ejected it, and reloaded it, and it fired. The firearm was very accurate at 25 feet. I didn't like the trigger at first, and I believe it's going to take some additional time to get used to it. I'm pleased with it as a sub $300 firearm currently. I will have to decide how I feel about the trigger after a few more trips to the range.
    do a lambo(?) trigger upgrade. it'll feel like a completely different gun.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Opinions on good reliability hold more weight for me than opinions on bad reliability. Give a newbie or idiot a gun(or any machine really) and if they can't even make it fail, it's a keeper.

Last edited:

rcwill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I just purchased a Glock 44 (22 cal) just for plinking. I already own a Taurus TX-22 that costs about $200 less. The TX-22 has a far superior trigger and is noticeably more accurate. Glock missed “Perfection” on the G44. I also own a Taurus G3 that is just as reliable and accurate as my Glock G19…only $250 less.

Top Bottom