Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I've not hunted in years, save for the occasional squirrel or rabbit, so I've not paid much attention to the deer laws over the years.

My wife wants to hunt deer, so I've been reviewing the changes I missed when they were made.

I'm happy to note I can use my 7.62x54r SST handloads on private land.

However, I'm confused over the allowance of 10mm and .40S&W. I understand the 10mm; it's on par with a .357mag.

The .40... I guess it can do the job given proper shot placement and restricted range.

I do not, however, understand at all why the .40 is allowed but the venerable old .45acp is not. There's a lot of power overlap between the .40 and .45, and the .45 can create a slightly larger permanent wound cavity. This is especially true when we start talking handloads.

I'm not trying to create a .40 vs .45 thread. They're both fine calibers and very close in performance. The .40 generally falls in between .45acp standard pressure and .45acp +P.

What I am trying to understand is why the .40 is allowed, while the .45acp is not. It makes no sense.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Josh

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Hello,

I've not hunted in years, save for the occasional squirrel or rabbit, so I've not paid much attention to the deer laws over the years.

My wife wants to hunt deer, so I've been reviewing the changes I missed when they were made.

I'm happy to note I can use my 7.62x54r SST handloads on private land.

However, I'm confused over the allowance of 10mm and .40S&W. I understand the 10mm; it's on par with a .357mag.

The .40... I guess it can do the job given proper shot placement and restricted range.

I do not, however, understand at all why the .40 is allowed but the venerable old .45acp is not. There's a lot of power overlap between the .40 and .45, and the .45 can create a slightly larger permanent wound cavity. This is especially true when we start talking handloads.

I'm not trying to create a .40 vs .45 thread. They're both fine calibers and very close in performance. The .40 generally falls in between .45acp standard pressure and .45acp +P.

What I am trying to understand is why the .40 is allowed, while the .45acp is not. It makes no sense.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Josh
    Going to say some bureaucrat somewhere made it so.

Understanding legalities not withstanding a properly placed 22 lr will drop one in its tracks.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Going to say some bureaucrat somewhere made it so.

Understanding legalities not withstanding a properly placed 22 lr will drop one in its tracks.

22 long kills world record Grizzly Bear. Its less powerful than a 22lr.

Now hopefully back on subject.....

Reactions: wcd

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I put a wounded one down, took two shots point blank to his hard skull to do it.
    230 gr JHP.
    Head wound caused Buck to bleed to death and choke on his own blood.
    Should have used my 308 Winchester or just cut his throat.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Can and should are two different things. I can't see recommending 22LR for deer hunting.
    Poachers in the south use .22 LR to avoid detection. Pop them and sit still, wait until dark. Not exactly a clean & humane kill, but puts meat on the table. In areas where the deer population is huge and car insurance requires a separate policy for deer damage, I don't even think the game warden cares.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can and should are two different things. I can't see recommending 22LR for deer hunting.
    Agreed not making recommendations by any means. Just using as an illustration as to shot placement versus caliber. Kind of like program compliance, having an edc regardless of caliber complies versus having and left at home.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The .45 acp case is too short to meet minimum length requirements and was not included when an exception was made specifically for .40 S&W and 10 MM. As for the .40 S&W, it rode the coattails of the 10 MM's surging popularity, whether that was unintentional or purposeful, is unclear.

If the .460 Rowland were more popular, then there would likely be more push to allow both it and .45 acp. I don't really see .45 acp making it on it's own, at least not anytime soon.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    In theory you can use anything to kill anything, but it would not be my first choice due to excessive drop and concerns about bone penetration performance. It's big, slow, and soft. I would worry about reliably punching through a scapula or skull without glancing off.

With correct shot placement it's as good as anything, you just can't always count on that.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Why are some handgun calibers fine and others strictly forbidden? Why are rifle calibers only good to go on private land vs. public? Same answer: idiot bureaucrats that have no clue whatsoever and don't care one bit that their rules and regulations make ZERO logical sense.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Politicians and DNR entered into a male member measuring contest. Politicians pass a law specifying 10mm/.40 caliber pistol because 10mm automatic is perfectly capable of taking deer. So DNR says fine if you want to make laws when it should be us making rules then we will make an open interpretation of your law. What we have are a bunch of pestilential children making and interpreting laws.

.40 S&W and .45 ACP are not suitable for deer hunting. Buy a 10mm or .357/.44 magnum revolver.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wonder if any state allows .45 ACP for deer hunting? If so would be interesting how hunters view the results. Handgun would have less penetration than a rifle, is there a rifle other than a Thompson though?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Wonder if any state allows .45 ACP for deer hunting? If so would be interesting how hunters view the results. Handgun would have less penetration than a rifle, is there a rifle other than a Thompson though?
    I'm pretty sure Texas does but their deer are significantly smaller. Yes, there are several rifles in .45 ACP including H&K, Kriss, TNW, Berretta, and Hipoint.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Yes in Kentucky any center Fire caliber is legal for deer hunting.

But why anyone would want to hunt deer with a 22 hornet I’d beyond me!.

And as for the 45 acp for deer…if 9mm will blow your lung out, I imagine that .45 acp will make a deer evaporate on the spot!

Top Bottom