• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I certainly agree with ingomike about additional costs with extra curricular activities. I think conspicuous consumption is becoming a lesser factor in family economics. It is a shame when basic life is hard to maintain, but that is appearing to be the case.

My friend once said, that his dad was a trade electrician, and his mother never worked outside. They lived in a newly built nice house, traded for a new car every 2nd or 3rd year, and managed a couple weeks of a traveling vacation. My friend has the same job in the same area, his wife works part time as a nurse between raising kids. They can have a lesser quality home, drive 10 year old cars, and seldom go anywhere for vacation.

The government is stealing the fruits of the labor. Take home pay is far less, Sales tax is over double, taxes added to every aspect of life that did not even exist 50 years ago. Gross money mishandling by the Government entities that have devalued the buying power of what is left for the wage earner.

This administration downplays inflation, but I have a list of routine food items I buy at least twice a month. For years, it was $65 to $70, depending on sales and coupons. Now that same list has been $100. for the last 6 months. Filling the car is about 50% higher. My medical costs for the same procedures have doubled since two years ago. Housing in any area where there is not daily violent crime has close to doubled. If that is not more inflation pressure on families, I don't what is.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I generally leave the house around 0500. I usually take a couple minutes to stand outside and listen to the quiet before I head to work. Winter is even quieter.
    That's about when I would leave when I was still going in to the office. Now I'm usually up by 4 or 4:15 (I get to sleep in without the commute) when I'm working, and 4:30 at the latest when I'm not. Early mornings are my "me time" and I enjoy it, especially roughly April thru October when I'm out on the deck from the time I get up until I go to bed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He's a wonderful little buddy 23 out of 24 hours in a day, But boy, that 1 hour...

His favorite is to help on the workbench by knocking things around.
    Mine is very much a "Daddy's girl". In some ways she's more dog-like than some dogs I've had. When I was going in to the office, I guess she must have heard the garage door opening because she'd always be waiting by the door to greet me when I'd get home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ouch. Working those hours has affected your positivity, my friend.

Understandably and for more reasons than meet the eye, I suspect.
    Lotta truth in your words but stated so flatly it sounds harsh and makes me sad for you.
    But he speaks with truth. It is the way of things inside the beltway and it bleeds out into the outlying areas. Creatures of the night. They exist. Drive through a questionable area in the sun light. Then cruise it after dark. It takes on a whole new demeaner.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I have always liked sunrise better than sunset. It brings a feel of what's to be.
    Not whats done and over. I love to be up early outside in the spring and summer. Coffee in had sitting at the picnic table watching the dark turn to light. Birds start singing and a new day begins.

Man I can't wait till retirement
    I have yet to find something, anything, I don't like about it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    But he speaks with truth. It is the way of things inside the beltway and it bleeds out into the outlying areas. Creatures of the night. They exist. Drive through a questionable area in the sun light. Then cruise it after dark. It takes on a whole new demeaner.
    Some one wise once said nothing good happens after Midnight.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I certainly agree with ingomike about additional costs with extra curricular activities. I think conspicuous consumption is becoming a lesser factor in family economics. It is a shame when basic life is hard to maintain, but that is appearing to be the case.

My friend once said, that his dad was a trade electrician, and his mother never worked outside. They lived in a newly built nice house, traded for a new car every 2nd or 3rd year, and managed a couple weeks of a traveling vacation. My friend has the same job in the same area, his wife works part time as a nurse between raising kids. They can have a lesser quality home, drive 10 year old cars, and seldom go anywhere for vacation.

The government is stealing the fruits of the labor. Take home pay is far less, Sales tax is over double, taxes added to every aspect of life that did not even exist 50 years ago. Gross money mishandling by the Government entities that have devalued the buying power of what is left for the wage earner.

This administration downplays inflation, but I have a list of routine food items I buy at least twice a month. For years, it was $65 to $70, depending on sales and coupons. Now that same list has been $100. for the last 6 months. Filling the car is about 50% higher. My medical costs for the same procedures have doubled since two years ago. Housing in any area where there is not daily violent crime has close to doubled. If that is not more inflation pressure on families, I don't what is.
    clearly you mis speak, Sleepy Joe tells another story.

Reactions: Leo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have gone ridiculously overboard not only trying to keep up with the Jones, but with so many little things. My wife just commented about an elementary kids play, the costumes were expensive and elaborate just nuts. Travel ball for kids that will never even try out for a college team. We just run ourselves ragged. None of these is wrong in and of itself but the point is that coupled with the gamut of this type of thing families put on themselves they are setting up a pace to crash…
    In this many families' want to set a structure of activity's that lean to the positive so the kids are involved and, in a way, set up for the world they will step out into soon enough. With all the negative influences that are around every corner folks do what they can to fill in the blank spaces in the available time. We did much the same with our kids. Soccer, volley ball, kick ball (Catholic school thing) Basketball, Football and so on. The spouse and I were involved with coaching and watched/guided the kids to some pretty stellar levels in some of those endeavors. I still see some of those kids now young adults with families and they all look on those times fondly and some of the guys still call me coach. If we do it right the pay back comes when we are least expecting it but we never expected anything beyond giving the kids some pride.
    Just the way we see it.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Mine is very much a "Daddy's girl". In some ways she's more dog-like than some dogs I've had. When I was going in to the office, I guess she must have heard the garage door opening because she'd always be waiting by the door to greet me when I'd get home.

Oh yeah, similar to mine. He obeys verbal commands and wants to be in on everything I do just like a dog. Very much unlike any other cat I've ever had.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In this many families' want to set a structure of activity's that lean to the positive so the kids are involved and, in a way, set up for the world they will step out into soon enough. With all the negative influences that are around every corner folks do what they can to fill in the blank spaces in the available time. We did much the same with our kids. Soccer, volley ball, kick ball (Catholic school thing) Basketball, Football and so on. The spouse and I were involved with coaching and watched/guided the kids to some pretty stellar levels in some of those endeavors. I still see some of those kids now young adults with families and they all look on those times fondly and some of the guys still call me coach. If we do it right the pay back comes when we are least expecting it but we never expected anything beyond giving the kids some pride.
    Just the way we see it.

Not implying it is wrong, just many push it to ridiculous levels that they cannot really afford it. That is why I specifically mentioned travel where they spend for hotels every weekend so a kid can play soccer etc. not the local rec play.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not implying it is wrong, just many push it to ridiculous levels that they cannot really afford it. That is why I specifically mentioned travel where they spend for hotels every weekend so a kid can play soccer etc. not the local rec play.
    I see your point and agree. If you can afford it the experience is character building. We played travel league but no over nights. My son was playing 14 and up travel when he was 13 because he had some serious skills and was driven to kick butt when he took the field. Shortest kid on the field most times and he figured it out. We did this for 2 seasons and opted out when it became a burden like you say.
    Spring it was soccer. Winter Basketball and fall it was Football. No, he never perused college but the memories are still there.
    Good points being made here....:thumbsup:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We have gone ridiculously overboard not only trying to keep up with the Jones, but with so many little things. My wife just commented about an elementary kids play, the costumes were expensive and elaborate just nuts. Travel ball for kids that will never even try out for a college team. We just run ourselves ragged. None of these is wrong in and of itself but the point is that coupled with the gamut of this type of thing families put on themselves they are setting up a pace to crash…

We seem to run ragged and we specifically work not to. Our kid has tae kwon do 2x a week. He really enjoys it so we rearranged dinner to make sure he goes. He has that kid energy level that at 50 I struggle to keep up with after a long day. We strive to spend evenings together as a family. Seen many families do as you say. No clue how they do it - we would crash and burn.

Top Bottom