• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've looked at several websites that sell 80% receivers and/or jigs. Nearly everything is sold out. Someone I know has a jig made by Tactical Machining dot com, so I go to their website and all they even sell anymore are 2 different top plates. Do these things just sell out fast or because they're so expensive they can't sell them so they stop trying to sell them, or is the government going after companies that make and sell these jigs? I'm not in the 80% world and I know little to nothing about their popularity, so I'm just curious. I've wanted to try building an 80% for a few years now but have never bought or tried anything. Now that I'm thinking of trying one, I can't find jigs.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I've looked at several websites that sell 80% receivers and/or jigs. Nearly everything is sold out. Someone I know has a jig made by Tactical Machining dot com, so I go to their website and all they even sell anymore are 2 different top plates. Do these things just sell out fast or because they're so expensive they can't sell them so they stop trying to sell them, or is the government going after companies that make and sell these jigs? I'm not in the 80% world and I know little to nothing about their popularity, so I'm just curious. I've wanted to try building an 80% for a few years now but have never bought or tried anything. Now that I'm thinking of trying one, I can't find jigs.
    found you one. https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/80-percent-arms-easy-jig-gen-3.545605/

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's a jig that someone owns & is selling. I'm wondering why, given how expensive these jigs are, are companies no longer selling them? It seems to be an easy way to make money if you have a CNC machine and can churn these jigs out. Are they illegal for companies to sell? Is the government just pointing the IRS at companies who sell them as a way of harassing them to stop them from selling the jigs? I'm a little confused on what's going on here.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    That's a jig that someone owns & is selling. I'm wondering why, given how expensive these jigs are, are companies no longer selling them? It seems to be an easy way to make money if you have a CNC machine and can churn these jigs out. Are they illegal for companies to sell? Is the government just pointing the IRS at companies who sell them as a way of harassing them to stop them from selling the jigs? I'm a little confused on what's going on here.
    honestly, you can 3d print one now.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    honestly, you can 3d print one now.
    I did try that the other day. I printed one of the jig sides and of course it didn't fit my finished receiver very well. Maybe it's my old Ender 3, maybe it's out of scale on purpose or maybe PETG is not a good material to make a jig out of. I'd like to find an accurate drawing of the receiver so I can draw it up in Fusion 360 and make my own 3D printable jig. Then I could play with it until I had something that fit well.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I did try that the other day. I printed one of the jig sides and of course it didn't fit my finished receiver very well. Maybe it's my old Ender 3, maybe it's out of scale on purpose or maybe PETG is not a good material to make a jig out of. I'd like to find an accurate drawing of the receiver so I can draw it up in Fusion 360 and make my own 3D printable jig. Then I could play with it until I had something that fit well.
    Or you could just buy the jig for sale in the INGO classifieds, as already mentioned, and get to work finishing your 80% lowers.

Seems to me that you're overthinking this whole thing. Buy the jig that's available, get started, and provide us with an update on your progress.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Which jig did you print?

I've used Ctrlpew's jig before, and it fit well with the aluminum 80% I used it on, but it required some modification to work with a polymer 80%, as the polymer lower had extra reinforcement in a couple of places. The modifications were fairly simple, though, and I never bothered with modeling the lower receiver, I just observed where the supports on the jig needed to be trimmed back a bit, and with some trial and error got a working jig without too much trouble. I just used plain old PLA, and printed in on an Ender 3, too.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Or you could just buy the jig for sale in the INGO classifieds, as already mentioned, and get to work finishing your 80% lowers.

Seems to me that you're overthinking this whole thing. Buy the jig that's available, get started, and provide us with an update on your progress.
    Just my two cents, I think he's on the right track. 80% isn't about taking the simplest, easiest path available, or you'd just buy a completed lower from an individual. 3d-printing your own jig adds to the DIY fun of the whole thing. Then you move on to 3d-printing the entire lower, for a whole new level of satisfaction. ;)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Just my two cents, I think he's on the right track. 80% isn't about taking the simplest, easiest path available, or you'd just buy a completed lower from an individual. 3d-printing your own jig adds to the DIY fun of the whole thing. Then you move on to 3d-printing the entire lower, for a whole new level of satisfaction. ;)
    Must have misread the responses ... seemed like a lot of speculation and excuses. Oh well, I've been wrong before and am guaranteed to be wrong again.

End of the day if the OP is happy and safe, all is good.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I have a broken arms jig I'd sell you for cheap, no longer have any use for it.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    In stock this AM,
    However, good luck finding the tooling for them.
    I've been looking for the last 3 weeks or so and nobody has the "speedymill" or "readymill" bits.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Okay, Literally just got an email from:
    and they show both 5d Tactical and 80% Arms jigs in stock.
    Also show they have all sizes of mills (1A through 4D) in stock
    Here's the size chart for which router bit you'll need:
    5D Tactical Jig

BRHiker

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2023
    Anderson
    There are also 3d printable 80% jigs available if you know where to look.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think I found a simple one at Gun Builders Depot for $105. Very simple aluminum jig. They want $200 if I get the 3 endmills and 2 drill bits with it. $95 for 3 HSS endmills and 2 twist drill bits? I don't know where some of these people get off on charging ridiculous prices for crappy tools like that. I have a desktop mill at home, so I buy endmills and drill bits from time to time. 3 carbide endmills & 2 drill bits don't cost that much.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    In stock this AM,
    However, good luck finding the tooling for them.
    I've been looking for the last 3 weeks or so and nobody has the "speedymill" or "readymill" bits.
    I have a mini mill at home to use, so I just use regular endmills.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    There are also 3d printable 80% jigs available if you know where to look.
    Have you ever tried a 3D printed jig to finish an 80%? I wonder how accurate they are. I also wonder how accurate the milling and drilling operations need to be in order for the lower to function properly. I believe that even if I screw it up a little, I can probably fix it, even if it will look like a Mad Max gun.

Top Bottom