• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I noticed we seem to have a significant number of expatriated Texans on this forum. (Yes, I do recognize that Texas was its own republic and entered into the union with the option to legally cede so I believe the term "expatriated" is warranted.) Well, since Texans are notoriously outspoken and I happen to be on an extended stay in Texas, I thought I would stimulate a friendly banter of why I prefer Indiana. Now I realize that you Texans are a proud bunch so remember not to take my comments too seriously as its all in good fun. I promise not to use too big of words. Here we go.

1. Indiana has seasons... ya know, besides just summer and winter.
    2. It rains in Indiana.
    3. Indiana tornadoes might take down a few houses here and there, but they usually don't take entire towns.
    4. Maybe you can't purchase alcohol on a Sunday in Indiana, but at least you can buy it at midnight through the week at the Walmart.
    5. Two words- Lifetime Permit
    6. Two more words- Open Carry
    7. I'm so glad I don't have to have vehicle inspections and about a hundred other little inconvenient things like that.
    8. Glorious absence of wild hogs in Indiana.
    9. Manning vs. Romo... nuff said.
    10. Indiana has more grocery options than just Walmart and HEB.

Now let the fiery stream of responses begin. Hoosiers and Texans sound off, but remember this is all in jest.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe you can't purchase alcohol on a Sunday in Indiana

Yes, you can. I did just a couple of weeks ago. Paid money, left with beer.

I recommend the Lafayette Brewing Company.

Craft Beer, Brew Pub, Lafayette, IN | Lafayette Brewing Company

Glorious absence of wild hogs in Indiana

You need to go to more Wal-Marts . . . or maybe not.:laugh:

Two words- Lifetime Permit

Yeah, but in Tejas you get to take a take and spend a lot of money.

Two more words- Open Carry

Yeah, who wants to be cool when it is 90 degrees in April.

I, for one, am glad that Texas is catching up to Indiana. It's not as good as it is up here, but they'll get there. Have faith.:)

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    2. It rains in Indiana.
    3. Indiana tornadoes might take down a few houses here and there, but they usually don't take entire towns.
    4. Maybe you can't purchase alcohol on a Sunday in Indiana, but at least you can buy it at midnight through the week at the Walmart.
    5. Two words- Lifetime Permit
    6. Two more words- Open Carry
    7. I'm so glad I don't have to have vehicle inspections and about a hundred other little inconvenient things like that.
    9. Manning vs. Romo... nuff said.
    10. Indiana has more grocery options than just Walmart and HEB.

Now let the fiery stream of responses begin. Hoosiers and Texans sound off, but remember this is all in jest.

1. No need for seasons. I like not shoveling snow. If I want to see leaves change colors or snow, I'll go visit it.
    2. When I lived there, it would dump rain for a couple hours them be pleasant. I'll take that over drizzling all day.
    3. Point. But I hate the nuclear fallout gray sky for 5 months of the year. Would it hurt to have some sunshine between November and march?
    4. Drive thru Daiquiri/beer barns FTW. If you gotta go to Macy's w your wife, at least take a drink w you. Also drinking in public is legal.
    5. Point. TX needs to catch up.
    6. Point. TX needs to catch up.
    7. Parts of IN have vehicle inspections (I think).
    8. Wild hogs are considered varmin. Shoot at will. This is a good thing. Besides, they're pretty tasty.
    9. You're comparing a qb who can't play to a qb who can't play well. I don't think any gets a point here. Maybe Matt Shaub.
    10. You need to get out more. At least as manyoptions as Indiana. Maybe more. Besides, I havent found anything here that's in the same ballpark as Central Market.

I give you a 2.5 out of 10

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Ok, I'll admit that 10 was kind of a stretch but I needed an even 10 and couldn't think of anything else on the fly. When I got down here there wasn't anything like a Kroger or a Marsh and I'm used to Meijer and Target and Walmart and even the Menards has groceries. I guess I should have been more specific. I like to hit up sales and have good coupons and all that. The coupons down here are terrible. I will say that they have excellent meat markets. You Texans do know your meat, I'll give you that.

I noticed the drive through beer barns. I also noticed that they can sell cold beer at gas stations, etc. While I do appreciate the convenience I have to point out that the way that OTHER people drive around here coupled with the 20% of drivers being uninsured here, I would prefer to play it safe and just go without.

I can't say that there are no vehicle inspections anywhere in Indiana. I can only say that there aren't where I am from. Texas requires them statewide in addition to emissions checks in Houston. This wouldn't be such a big deal though if the streets were well paved. The pot holes will rattle your exhaust right off. This actually happened to my dad and he got pulled over for it.

As for the hogs, I have to agree that they would be great to shoot. As a non-resident I have to pay like $46 dollars a day for a license though and I don't know anyone around here with land to hunt on. So I could chalk this one up to my own sour grapes I guess. At least there are no restrictions on hunting them like there are in some other afflicted states.

And I have been rather impressed by Romo this season compared to how much I couldn't stand him in the past. With Peyton out I don't have much room to talk on this one.

And I like the snow, the leaves, the green, and the rain. It got down to 30 degrees here overnight once last winter and they had countless wrecks and almost had to shut down the city. All these guys in these big 4x4 trucks can't drive on a little bit of frost. People stranded all over the place.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No need for seasons. I like not shoveling snow.

Water is life and shoveling is good exercise. Take off those elf boots that they wear in Tejas and put on some WORK boots.:laugh:

But I hate the nuclear fallout gray sky for 5 months of the year. Would it hurt to have some sunshine between November and march?

Stay out of Texas if you don't want cloudy skies.

Houston, Texas has all of two more sunny days than Indianapolis.

Cairo, Illinois has more sunny days than San Antonio.

Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities

Also drinking in public is legal

So it is here.

Parts of IN have vehicle inspections (I think).

Which parts would that be?:dunno:

Wild hogs are considered varmin. Shoot at will. This is a good thing. Besides, they're pretty tasty.

Nope, sorry, I was there in the 90s and while the Texicanos whined about wild pigs, they did nothing about them.

I asked them if wild pigs were such a threat why do the ranchers not let us hunt their land and pay bounties. The Texans looked at me like I had horns, or was from north of the Ohio River.:laugh:

At least as manyoptions as Indiana

Central Market blows, but I always liked the Albertsons in Kerrville. At least it was clean and not the pig pen that HEB always was. Why are HEBs so filthy?* It's almost as dirty as Dunkin Donuts used to be.

I do miss Mamacita's, but I'm going down in February so I can dream of its burritos now.

*Serious question. Why are HEBs so filthy? HEBs are even dirtier and smellier than Wal-Marts. What gives?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just remember that Texans put Maxine Waters in office. And Rick Perry.

We can blame Texans for a lot of political stupidity--in fact every Texan politician is a moron, but we cannot blame them for giving us Congresswoman Waters. That is California, my friend.

Perhaps you mean the empty-headed Lee?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I lived in Texas a couple times. I liked the people; the weather wasn't bad (except for the hurricanes and the floods), the climate was varied - but trended warmer than Indiana (naturally). Didn't have concealed carry when I lived there, but we didn't have "Shall Issue" when I moved here. And in Texas, if you have a Concealed Carry permit, they'll let you into their State House armed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We can blame Texans for a lot of political stupidity--in fact every Texan politician is a moron, but we cannot blame them for giving us Congresswoman Waters. That is California, my friend.

You are correct, I get the two idiots confused all the time. Sheila Jackson-Lee. Two peas. Same pod.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009

:): Beat by a few minutes on that one. Bet you're just waitin' for some lysdexic person to misread the thread title and screw up on a gun law so you can collect another case of .45 :laugh:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'm not sure 18 hours of slushy rain really qualifies as "winter." The Texas I lived in just had Hot (which I loved).

Ok, you win with that one.

What? No mention of Texas speed bumps??

1. No need for seasons. I like not shoveling snow. If I want to see leaves change colors or snow, I'll go visit it.
    :+1:
    2. When I lived there, it would dump rain for a couple hours then be pleasant. I'll take that over drizzling all day.
    :+1: :+1: :+1:

You can't find Rudy's "Country Store" and Bar-B-Q | Real Texas Bar-B-Q® or Threadgill's Home Cookin' in Indy anywhere. :(

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    *Serious question. Why are HEBs so filthy? HEBs are even dirtier and smellier than Wal-Marts. What gives?

Actually, the HEB's in Corpus are all pretty clean, its the Walmarts that are really filthy. They are about as bad as an a K-mart anywhere.

And I'll go ahead and say it... Missouri has better barbeque. Take that.

Last edited:

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I am not a fan of snow, or cold, and the people down there were awesome when I was there (of course, that was 20 years ago, give or take):fogey: It should also be noted that I tend to avoid large cities like the plague, so YMMV there :D

In many ways I preferred it down there over here, but I refuse to even think about going back even to visit until they get their 2A stuff together.:draw:

I will give ya points on the vehicle inspections though, what a major pain. I always figured it was just a means for state revenue though, considering some of the wrecks you see going down the roads there.

Top Bottom