• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    To KF

Dwindling supply and a bit of mercenary spirit compels me to ask for clarification on question 3. :)

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I lived in TX for three years and would go back in a heartbeat based only on the shooting sports opportunities and the general acceptance of shooting sports and hunting there. Was refreshing.

In addition I liked the attitude and pride Texans take in their state. I don't see all that many IN flags displayed around here but dam near everyone down there flies a TX flag and many fly it at the same height as the US flag (legal there).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    everyone down there flies a TX flag and many fly it at the same height as the US flag (legal there).

Sorry, Classic, but you have fallen for more of that Tejas Myth stuff. Man we are busting all kinds of Texas myths in this thread!

Why hasn't someone brought up that in Texas you can just walk about with a "gun on your hip" like in the TV Westerns?:laugh:

The Texas flag myth: snopes.com: Texas Flag Flies at the Same Height as the U.S. Flag?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    No need to be sorry Kirk. TX flag at the same level as US flag is not a myth. I don't pretend to be a legal or historical scholar but I know what I saw while I lived there. Examples of the practice can be found all over. Withdrawal from the union at will and/or breaking into 5 states were also won as the Fed was willing to do much to get TX into the union. Who knows what the legal consequences might really be today from such an action but Texans including Gov. Perry do talk about it. You only have to be in TX for a short time to see for yourself. TX history is far more interesting than IN IMO and no one graduates from public schools there w/o knowing TX history. Mandatory classes. The evidence of the flag practice is right there in public for all to see like the following:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    TX flag at the same level as US flag is not a myth.

It is a myth that Texas receives some special sanction/mention in federal law.

If you look at Title 4 you see that a state flag can be at the same height or lower. There are examples of all the state flags being flown at the same height as the federal flag throughout this state and the others.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I don't know about public school personally since I went to private school where we DID have classes on Indiana history. I disagree with you that Texas history is more interesting. It is more widely known, largely thanks to the fact that so many Texans feel compelled to tell it. I suggest you study the Battle of Tippecanoe and look at some of the similarities with the Alamo... except that, well, we won. Hoosiers take great pride in our state. We just don't beat people over the head with it like Texans tend to do. Well, except in this thread apparently.

Incidentally, we also had the first commercially successful auto company before Detroit was ever a thing. Indianapolis Gatling perfected his gun. And incidentally, I suggest you look ar President William Henry Harrison from Indiana. He was an exceptional soldier who died in office. His Vice President, however, John Tyler was unpopular with his party and would have never gotten elected on his own. He was kicked out of the whig party while in office. He did, however, dedicate his last two years in office to the annexation of the Republic of Texas in 1845. So essentially, without William Henry Harrison its possible Texas might still be its own country. You are welcome.

I was not wrong about Texas having the right to cede from the union. Historically, all states have the right to cede from the Union. I was merely referring to the fact that since Texas used to be its own country the term "expatriated" could be applied. The Constitution is a contract which can and has been broken before and continues to be broken. As I understand it, when one party in a contract fails to meet the terms of the contract the other party is no longer bound to that contract. The Confederate States of America was founded on this exact principle and we all know how that turned out. So as you can see, even with the force of law, no state is allowed to cede from the union. Any notion that Texas could actually cede is simply folly. Even if it WAS legal, it would not be tolerated by Big Brother. This point is moot.

I was born on Indiana Day. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Last edited:

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I don't know about that Bill. Hurricane Ike kicked the crap out of us down here in Southern Indiana.

And we did get that earthquake once that knocked down that wall in Evansville. What's up with that? At least we don't have wildfires. Instead we get the emerald ash borer threat.

I agree about the tomatoes. My dad always had the best tomato garden but down here they don't even grow decent in potting soil.

Top Bottom