• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Have you used a belt as a TQ before? Maybe you have, I haven't. I can tell you that I have been to a number of trauma medicine classes before and all recommended against it. Especially wide stiff gunbelts.

Assuming no trauma kit on person, what would be the recommendations from the classes you have attended?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You all need to learn to live on the edge with a LCR 38. 5 rounds of fear at your disposal.

A JFrame is my choice for deep concealment as opposed to a micro .380. I essentially consider a Glock42/43, Shield, PPS, etc to be the modern JFrame equivalent. Truth be told I am better armed with a JFrame then some are with a full size gun....and much less prepared some others.

Assuming no trauma kit on person, what would be the recommendations from the classes you have attended?

Just stuff a sock in it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

You nailed it with the first part. Just like firearms instructors will tell you to always carry your gun, all of the emergency medical instructors I have studied with encourage you to always carry a small kit to include a tourniquet. Much like needing a gun, when you really need one, nothing else will work quite as well.

One class I went to did talk about improvised tourniquets and one I remember was a bandanna and a carabineer. No matter if you carry a tq or plan on improvising, you have to train and practice with it. Needing to stop severe bleeding is what most would consider a stressful emergency. Can you access and apply a pressure dressing and/or tourniquet in a rapid manner with one hand? If not, it is not likely to do you a lot of good whether you carry it or not.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm 27, live in tornado valley and seen them. Carry every day and have had to draw before. Never fired. But I consider myself lucky so far. I carry a spare. It's just too easy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just stuff a sock in it.

That's not nice, he's just asking a question.

Of all the junk I carry, the RAT tourniquet is one of the easiest. It's quick to apply to yourself one handed, as I demonstrated in a recent class, and it works. It ain't gonna help with a torso hit, but I've seen plenty of people out of the fight real quick due to an artery strike in the leg. Some got brought back by medics/ER docs and some didn't, but even if it isn't fatal you aren't fighting back when your BP is too low to be awake and aware.

One of the stupidest things I've ever done (in hindsight) was clearing storm damaged trees and brush by myself on rural property with no cell phone coverage...and no first aid kit. If I'd had a kickback and the chain bit me right, they'd have found my corpse with a belt and a handkerchief around my leg. I'm a former EMT-I, I'm not a complete noob at basic trauma life support, but it just never quite occurred to me how stupid I was to have nothing at my disposal. The TQ isn't just for conflict, but the daily stupid we all sometimes find ourselves in. Car wreck, tool mishap, what have you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This discussion has taken a couple of interesting turns. First, the discussion of shooting while moving and now, the subject of med kit carry. Both are things I need to improve on in my carry habits. To date, while I do practice shooting while moving, I usually try to figure out what I shoot best while standing still. But, on my last range trip, I started to compare what I carry and realize that what I shoot best while standing still is not necessarily what I shoot best while moving. I need to put more range time in to figure that one out. Might just be an issue of practice.

To be honest, I've never even considered carrying a med kit as part of my EDC. In retrospect, that's pretty stupid of me. I put huge amounts of time worrying about, and over thinking, what gun I carry, what caliber works best, how many spare mags are needed and stuff. I spend a lot of money shooting each week to try to establish some level of skill if I have to shoot too. And yet, with all that prep for being able to shoot adequately if needed, I have not put a penny towards the aftermath. In reality, the chances of us needing our guns (civilians, not engaged in criminal activity) for self defense is pretty low, but the chances of us needing a medical kit if that happens are very high. What good is it to win a gun fight in self defense if you still bleed out in the end.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thread revival! Cleaning my truck today out in the driveway today. Single stack 9mm (Walther PPS), Surefire E2DL, Gerber EAB. No extra magazines on me but I think there are 3 loaded with range ammo laying on my bench in the garage. No tourniquet but I do keep a basic truama kit in the truck. I think I will survive the weekend but who knows.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Me? I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm with an APEX Flat Faced trigger and Trijicon HD night sights. It gives me 18 shots before I need to reload and 35 shots with one extra mag on my person...

Finally, someone with some sence. Thats exactly why i carry a 5.7, and two spare mags loaded with SS198. You never know when you will need 60 rounds that can defeat soft armor. You just cant do that with a shield... unless you pay $5 per cartridge for THV ammunition... and carry 8 spare mags.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I used to be tempted to buy small, concealable handguns, and certainly there are quite a few quality ones on the market in respectable calibers. The LC9s, the PPS, the XDs, the Shield, the GLOCK 43, and many others. They are compact, easily carried, unobtrusive, lightweight, and convenient.

However, the reason I will no longer even consider buying one is simple: because I might be tempted to carry it rather than a full-size, high capacity handgun. After all, the reason I carry a handgun is because I believe I might actually NEED it to defend my life or the lives of my family or friends. And I don't carry a particular weapon primarily because it is lightweight or concealable or convenient. I primarily carry a particular handgun because it can contribute significant firepower in my efforts to survive a hostile encounter. Small, single stack handguns and revolvers just don't offer the same amount of firepower as full-size, double stack handguns.

Me? I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm with an APEX Flat Faced trigger and Trijicon HD night sights. It gives me 18 shots before I need to reload and 35 shots with one extra mag on my person. It is (relatively) lightweight, has a fantastic trigger pull, has wonderful contrasting night sights, and feels great in the hand. It is made to contribute significantly to my survival in a bad situation, and I cannot imagine ever finding a better pistol than the one I currently carry.

No more small guns for me. Just too many disadvantages.

Vanguard.45

One flaw, it's a 9mm.

You need to carry a 10mm with 6 spare mags. Make sure you get custom cast silver bullets as well, and have them loaded hot. You may one day need to fight off a horde of werewolves, by your 75th round when you run out of ammo, you might wish you brought more magazines.

You say it's hard to carry? Doesn't your life matter more!?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I think what we carry has to do with what we see might happen in our head. If you see in your head fending off a gang of bad guys then you see yourself needing a gun that has a lot of fire power. I would say this person would carry a AR with a lot of ammo and still feel under gunned.

Lets face it, most of the people in this country don't carry a gun. I guess they see a charmed life in their head. Nothing is ever going to happen to them.

Me? I see some one robbing me or sum such. I don't see the need to carry a lot of ammo. So I carry a Glock 36.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think what we carry has to do with what we see might happen in our head. If you see in your head fending off a gang of bad guys then you see yourself needing a gun that has a lot of fire power. I would say this person would carry a AR with a lot of ammo and still feel under gunned.

Lets face it, most of the people in this country don't carry a gun. I guess they see a charmed life in their head. Nothing is ever going to happen to them.

Me? I see some one robbing me or sum such. I don't see the need to carry a lot of ammo. So I carry a Glock 36.

Lots of truth here ^^^^

As much as I preach about not having a crystal ball and because of that, I carry any time I'm awake and have it next to me when I'm asleep, I also tend to pretend that I have a crystal ball and carry based on what I think I might run in to. Quite the hypocrite, aren't I? But I do tend to up-gun myself a bit when I'm heading into the city for non-work related things and will carry the G23 with a spare mag or two. If I'm heading anywhere north of the circle, but inside 465, it might be the G21 that rides along with me. But, I also feel perfectly comfortable with only a mid-size 1911 in .45 on my hip when I walk the 5 doors over to have coffee with my mother.

In my head, I don't expect to get caught up in a Rodney King verdict style riot between my house and my mother's house, but that could happen when in the city. Unlikely, but possible.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    17 years behind a badge, going to places that others were fleeing and I never had to shoot anyone. I seriously doubt that I will have to shoot someone as a civilian when I have the good sense to leave a bad situation before it gets worse. That being said, I do carry a Kahr on a regular basis. Because it's better to have gun and not need, than need one and not have it. Heck I still will pack my original back up, a Colt Detective Special because I can hit with the little thing instinctively better than any handgun I own. If you think that 30+ rounds is what you need to feel safe, by all means carry that. But some of us don't feel that need. and a smaller handgun is more convenient, and makes it easier for us to carry every day.
    I recommend that people get smaller than duty size for a carry gun, because for many a full size handgun is not practical for concealed carry. They get purchased because of the perceived firepower advantage. But get left at home because of extra weight and bulk. If you are the exception and like to carry full size, that's fine but most people won't and the gun is left behind, when a smaller gun gets taken along.
    There is a reason the "Carry Nine" has become so popular is its a great balance between weight, capacity and shoot-ability. The popularity speaks volumes to the decision made by many knowledgeable shooters to balance the carry equation, of firepower vs. weight.

Really a great answer. I carry, but I my first option in a situation is to flee, second hide and third fight. I have been in 5 or 10 situations where the best answer was to leave. I've never had to hid and sure hope I don't. But if I ever got to having to fight, I figure if I can't do it with the 15 rounds I carry, I guess I'll be out of luck.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Me? I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm with an APEX Flat Faced trigger and Trijicon HD night sights.

With all due respect, they way you describe your carry gun seems to indicate at least partly why you prefer higher capacity weapons. It strikes me as the common "I train a lot and own a full set of tactical gear, including a ghillie suit" mentality. Don't get me wrong, I don't judge anyone for the way they may choose to enjoy and/or employ firearms. To each their own. It's a big world, and there is plenty of room for all of us. Now you may well not even own any tactical gear, much less a ghillie suit (seriously though, who *wouldn't* want one of those?), but you do seem to take an enthusiast approach to your firearms choices. If that's what gives you comfort, I say more power to you.

Me, I don't carry a full-sized gun. As far as I'm concerned, unless I'm going to open carry with a proper OWB holster (which I don't), they are just too heavy and bulky for my liking. In my estimation the chance that I will need more than six rounds of ammo in an encounter during a trip to work or the grocery store is so minute as to be inconsequential. It feels like buying meteor strike insurance. I live in the suburbs, though. I'll admit that if I lived in a pretty rough urban area with a lot of drug and/or gang activity, I may well adjust my thinking.

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    Small guy like myself can't hide a G19 in warm weather cloths. It always prints.
    Winter time no big deal and I do carry the G19 in cold weather.
    Now this time of year it's a 5 shot 38spl or a 9mm P938. I can hide them.
    I don't feel unsafe or under gunned with any of my carry guns.
    But I also don't go looking for trouble, or work where a service pistol is required.

To everyone: Stay safe and carry what works for you. Single stack all the way up to the Berrett 50BMG (If you can pull it off we need to see pics)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Small guy like myself can't hide a G19 in warm weather cloths. It always prints.
    Winter time no big deal and I do carry the G19 in cold weather.
    Now this time of year it's a 5 shot 38spl or a 9mm P938. I can hide them.
    I don't feel unsafe or under gunned with any of my carry guns.
    But I also don't go looking for trouble, or work where a service pistol is required.

To everyone: Stay safe and carry what works for you. Single stack all the way up to the Berrett 50BMG (If you can pull it off we need to see pics)

I don't know about can't. I am not big and always carry a G19. The way I can dress has something to do with this unless I am going to church, I don't tuck my shirt.

Top Bottom