• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have several P320s. One is a pre-recall FCU, the others are post-recall FCUs.

My EDC today is a P320 Carry with a post-recall FCU. I used to carry the pre-recall FCU in the same P320 grip but changed to a post-recall FCU. But not for safety issues (I carry AIWB).

The pre-recall FCU has the ability to "trigger-fire" over and over without racking the slide. It is perfect for dry-fire practice and has been moved to my Open gun.

Regardless of recall status or changes, none of my P320s have ever gone bang without my digit on the bang switch.
    YMMV.

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    Its everything Glock Perfection just can't attain with 5 generations now.
    Well they can, they just choose not to for the civilian market.

JA1hyle.jpg

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I also have a P320 compact that is one of the most accurate and best shooting of all the handguns I own. I bought mine before the "voluntary upgrade" and send it in for the upgrade. I have had zero issues with it and even accidentally dropped it once. It did not fire when dropped and I have since payed more attention to handling all my firearms so I don't ever drop it or any other firearm again.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was under the impression that you were referring to a Glock's lack of a manual safety, so I posted a photo to show that Glock is capable of adding it for the right customer. I'm not defending Glock btw, I don't even like them that much.
    No, I was asking why you believe that Sig made the decision not to sell the Government models M17 and 18 pistols to the public?

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    No, I was asking why you believe that Sig made the decision not to sell the Government models M17 and 18 pistols to the public?
    I neither said nor implied that because my interpretation (misintepretation as I've learned now) of your post concerned Glock, not Sig. Also, I wasn't aware that Sig never sold the M17 or M18 to the public. I do know they sold commemorative versions of those guns but I don't know (or care) what they had in common with the military versions.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    After having owned a couple of hundred handguns, I recently sold away all of my handguns (one to go) and decided to sit for a while and think about what qualities I wanted most in a handgun, and which of the pistols I have owned in the past have met my needs most readily.

At the end of that internal dialogue, I came to the conclusion that the SIG Sauer P320 Compact, chambered in 9mm, best fits my needs on a daily basis.

Here's why:

1. Ergonomics - The standard, compact, medium grip fits my hand as well as any pistol on the planet.
    2. Weight - It is lightweight, which matters as the day wears on.
    3. Capacity - Although I love the 1911, the ability to fire a pistol sixteen times before needing to reload is a huge benefit. Nobody ever complained they had too many rounds in a gunfight.
    4. The Company - SIG Sauer has so many government contracts and so much money with which to now both fund R&D as well as handle any complaints which might arise from their customers, you don't have to worry about being left high and dry as you might with other, less successful firearm companies.
    5. High Bore Axis - I LOVE the fact that the SIG Sauer P320 has a higher bore axis than many of their competitors. Although a low bore axis MIGHT impart less "flip" to the shooting experience, it also directs the recoil more directly into the shooter's hand. The SIG P320 shoots SOFT, which feels very nice by comparison to my many experiences with GLOCK, S&W, etc.
    6. Military testing - Regardless of the how, why, or when, the P320 was chosen to serve after completing SOME testing by the military, which may not mean much to some as we all know the government is rarely the standard for excellence to be followed, but it does speak to the fact that the pistol is NOT a complete **** show and has completed at least some testing by the government and deemed worthy.
    7. Trigger - Although dry-firing the P320 is riddled with a lackluster "thunk" sound and feel, on the range, the P320 trigger shines in my hands with a clean break, a crisp reset, and no little "dingle-safety" on its surface.
    8. Modularity - Throw on the "carry" grip module, and now you have a 17+1 capacity in a "Commander" configuration. Change out the slide to a longer one, and you now have a longer sight radius with the shorter grip in that "reverse Commander" configuration. Hundreds of ways to configure the pistol to make it just the way you like it. Fortunately for me (and my wallet), the basic configuration is my favorite.

Topped with SIG Lite Night Sights, the pistol needs nothing added and nothing subtracted to serve well in an EDC role. The P320 is the "just-right porridge" in my particular tale. Nothing exciting in particular, but plenty of excitement as a complete package!

YMMV!

Thanks for your time!

Vanguard.45
    The part I bolded is the important part. You have reasons and experience and that is what you chose. A lot of people don't put nearly as much thought into it. That being said, your choice is not my choice. I do use variations of a 320 for competition but would not carry one. I like how you laid out points though some of those I don't agree with either. Military testing doesn't mean a lot to me. A lot of the contract stuff is political and besides that pistols are not carried or used largely the same way in the military as I do (You allude to a similar attitude). As far as the triggers, I find them to be barely adequate and put in Gray guns units, and going forward a Sig Armorer disconnector. That being said, I do plan on getting and carrying another 365 variant.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Welcome to P320 ownership, OP! It's not a bad place to be, but be prepared to hear all manner of opinions from the Internet about how the gun is unsafe and just biding it's time to shoot you in the leg. Interestingly though, nobody is going to be able to tell you why or how it's going to do that. Apparently it's one of life's great mysteries.

FWIW, none of my 4 have Alec Baldwined anybody yet, nor have any of the 100+ others in service in duty holsters around my county for the past 5-6 years. Buy a good holster that protects the trigger, use appropriate caution when handling the gun (especially when holstering), and it'll serve you well. There are a few things I'd change given the opportunity, but it's proven to be a reliable tool and I'm confident in it's performance.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I carry an Sig P320 Compact too. Love the platform. The one on the top in the last image has the P80 grip module that I modified to be a compact length grip. It now wears a Wilson Combat grip module.
    What I find absolutely laughable is all the people that carry Glocks, and other pistols, that completely ignore the faults with their platform when first introduced.
    Take Glock for instance, anyone remember the KABOOMS with factory 9mm loads of the early models because of their unsupported chamber?
    It’s ludicrous to think that any platform is flawless. Let me ask this: Has anyone drop tested their own personal pistol of any kind? I have all of my carry pistols, from 8ft, onto a carpeted floor. None of my pistols, not Glock, P320 or any of mine have ever “fired” when dropped.
    As fas as AD in the P320, I make my own holsters that fit correctly…..IF the holster is the cause of the problem, I don’t have that variable either…….
    1703170556281.jpeg
    1703170666169.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9783.jpeg
      IMG_9783.jpeg
      647 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for all the lively discussion!

I recognize the platform is somewhat divisive amongst the gun aficionados, which is fine.

And I wish I felt the need to add all of the cool grip modules and aftermarket parts. Truth is, the standard grip is my favorite, the standard trigger works fine for me, and the SIGLite Night Sights are my second favorite type of night sights (Trijicon HDs are my favorite) and work fine for me.

Just nice to have a "just right" pistol (for me) for $500 and tax when I am often told by the gun mags that an acceptable carry pistol has to cost much more!

Thanks again for all of your perspectives! Awesome to read!

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Added a new upper to my P320. I think I like it better this way.

AXG grip module, Sig factory stainless slide, factory full sized recoil assy, Faxon full sized fluted barrel. These things really are addictive to customize. Between this and my P365 I'm not sure which is more fun to tinker with. View attachment 320403
    That looks damn sharp

Top Bottom