Why DON'T you take any firearms training classes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why don't you take any firearms training classes?

• Total voters

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not on your poll, but TIME.

I'm short on that for EVERY project. I've got the cash, but just haven't been able to DE-prioritize enough other stuff to spend time on training. Heck, I rarely get to the range at all right now. I need a range open later than 9PM!

I have a list of ACT courses I want to take, and have actually asked my wife for them (well, the weekend(s) to take them) for my birthday.

So, yeah, I can afford it, I can DEFINITELY benefit from it, they are local enough for me. Tacticool has its place, and I embarrass myself daily, so what's the difference?

Anyone offer weekday training? I can burn a vacation day (or call in sick) easier than giving up a Saturday.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    During our Basic Pistol Course, you will shoot 4 different guns: Springfield XD 9, Glock 19, S&W Sigma, and a Taurus 94 revolver. WE PROVIDE THE AMMO! You may also bring your own firearm to train with, but YOU must provide the ammo for it. So for $130 it's a pretty good deal.

But like anything else, people have to prioritize, especially in this economy! However this economy leads to desperate measures by more desperate people!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    i have taken training classes and would love to take more but it's takes so much planning ahead of time to get the stars to align so I can get to them that it just doesn't work out most of the time. cost is also always a factor.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Interesting poll results so far. Seems to be that money and location are the top factors keeping folks out of the training realm and I can't say that I'm surprised by that.

For the few folks who answered "it's too tacticool for me", provided you weren't joking, would you care to explain further?

I did not answer too TactiCool, but I will answer. I have a lot of friends and family who are interested in owning guns for self defense. They enjoy shooing guns. Some might even carry a gun if they are traveling or visiting what they perceive as a bad place. But taking a class that talks about shooting other people, practicing to fight with a handgun, or making the carry of a gun part of day to day life is SCARY or CRAZY. Afterall what is so bad in life that we need to carry a gun all the time?

Carrying a gun for self defense is a lifestyle choice and taking training classes that discuss that particular topic is a big decision.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The classes are always in BFE and are TOO expensive .

$400 a day/ per student just to bring some big name tacticool guy in is a joke .

Cost of class, ammo , gas , wear on vehicle to BFE , hotel , food , etc is a joke .

Oh but wait , "putting a dollar amount on skills that could save your life is a joke" . Sure that argument could be made , but that dog won't hunt .

There are millions of vets out there with modern "combat" skills that could pass along the info for WAY less then some big name guy will .

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Interesting and valid question.

But my lifespan is way past half over, and I have never had a problem being effective in the past............. So; I stand by my original answer.

Regards!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting and valid question.

But my lifespan is way past half over, and I have never had a problem being effective in the past............. So; I stand by my original answer.

Regards!

I understand this. But, have you ever thought of taking a class out of pure curiousity?

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    You also need a reply that says "I don't due to time constraints." They say time is money, so thats the one I chose. If I had the time, I would find the money. Nah ming?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The classes are always in BFE and are TOO expensive .

$400 a day/ per student just to bring some big name tacticool guy in is a joke .

Cost of class, ammo , gas , wear on vehicle to BFE , hotel , food , etc is a joke .

Oh but wait , "putting a dollar amount on skills that could save your life is a joke" . Sure that argument could be made , but that dog won't hunt .

There are millions of vets out there with modern "combat" skills that could pass along the info for WAY less then some big name guy will .

I have to say that your answers above are not very accurate and I want to address them as I feel that they are common misconceptions.
    I understand that "BFE" is dependent on where you are but I know that you (2admlvr) are in Indy. There are great training opportunities available in Lebanon, Seymour, Greencastle and Indianapolis and are quite frequent.
    $400/day for a class is VERY expensive and for the common classes that most folks would be taking, this amount is not accurate. I have taken $600 classes, but they were 3 day classes. That works out to be half of your figure. Sure they were expensive but after taking them I feel like they were money well spent. Most entry level classes (and even intermediate level classes) generally range anywhere from $50-$150/day depending on the curriculum or instructor.
    putting a dollar amount on skills that could save your life is a joke" . Sure that argument could be made , but that dog won't hunt .
    Why won't that dog hunt? If a person who has never fired a handgun before chooses to keep one for self defense, why wouldn't it be money well spent for them to seek instruction on how to effectively use the firearm? I'm not saying that folks should seek out the most expensive instruction available and tap into their 401k to fund it, but I am saying that there is quality instruction available at affordable prices. Some of the information available from said instruction could be invaluable in a self defense situation.
    There are millions of vets out there with modern "combat" skills that could pass along the info for WAY less then some big name guy will
    Being willing to pass along info, and being skilled at teaching that info are two very different things.

The one thing that is in the foreground every time I think about training with firearms is one simple phrase; "you don't know what you don't know"

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a lot of friends and family who are interested in owning guns for self defense. They enjoy shooing guns. Some might even carry a gun if they are traveling or visiting what they perceive as a bad place. But taking a class that talks about shooting other people, practicing to fight with a handgun, or making the carry of a gun part of day to day life is SCARY or CRAZY.

This is one of those things that makes me go :n00b:. God forbid one of those folks ever finds themselves in a situation where they have to depend on their firearm to save their life, that is going to be the pinnacle of "scary" and "crazy". How would any of those folks be able to attain the midset of defending their life to the death if they think that training for such is scary and crazy?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Concerning the money aspect of this. Some people may for example may buy an S&W 38 Airweight. Thats $350. Another $50 for a the day could seem like a tremendous amount of money after such an investment to protect yourself.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    "Afraid of looking like a n00b or embarrassing myself."

The class I take will be full of SEAL team retirees and I will end up like Linus in the pumpkin patch, sans Sally...

welcomegpni4.jpg

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

.Being willing to pass along info, and being skilled at teaching that info are two very different things.

The issue about the "combat" experience does not always translate into personal self defense skills. In combat you have support, you are usually not the only one kicking down a door or shooting at an enemy combatant. Also the ROE is way different in a combat situation versus the civilian world. There has been MANY veterans of combat in classes that walked away learning something.

Top Bottom