Why does everyone love the Remington 870 so much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Im trying to figure out why.

What is it that you want to hear? Multiple people have given you their reasons for preferring 870's (even the Express models), and others have stated why they prefer 500's... yet you continue to ask the same questions.

Some people prefer a steel receiver, some prefer an aluminum receiver.
    Some people prefer the safety on the top of the receiver, some prefer it behind the trigger.
    Some people don't mind the loose/rattly forend, some are bothered by it.

IT'S A MATTER OF OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm anxiously awaiting the "If 870's are so great, why are there so many used ones for sale??" thread... :rolleyes:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    What is it that you want to hear? Multiple people have given you their reasons for preferring 870's (even the Express models), and others have stated why they prefer 500's... yet you continue to ask the same questions.

Some people prefer a steel receiver, some prefer an aluminum receiver.
    Some people prefer the safety on the top of the receiver, some prefer it behind the trigger.
    Some people don't mind the loose/rattly forend, some are bothered by it.

IT'S A MATTER OF OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm anxiously awaiting the "If 870's are so great, why are there so many used ones for sale??" thread... :rolleyes:

No need for some of you to take it personal, and get so wound up over this.
    Its difficult to explain. I pick them both up, and dont see the supposed difference. So many people say the express is so much better(here and otherwise), and Im bothered that Im not able to tell when I handle them both.

Im going to have to buy an express, I guess. Use it alot and see for myself.

I dont care so much, which you like more, I posted the thread because I was interested in why you do, so that I can check out an 870 Express again and maybe understand what your talking about.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Recent threads have led me to realize that my preference of the Mossberg 500 over the Remington 870 express might be uncommon.

So? Why does everyone like the 870 express so much? I cant figure out why it would be ANY better than a Mossberg 500, but I can find a few reasons why the 500 could be considered better than the 870 express.

Opinions?

Because there was a time where the remington 870 was made much more refined and far better finished. People got used to it being that way, and mossbergs being rough around the edges.

Now days, mossberg hasn't changed much at all, but remington is now finished and refined LESS than mossberg.

I had an 870 express quite a few years ago that was nicely made. I ended up getting rid of it and now have a 590a1 which I prefer infinitely more. It might rattle and have an ugly finish but when you actually take the time to look really close, it's hard to conclude that the 870 is a better gun, even the old 870s. I would still rate an 870 above a non-A1 model mossberg, as that trigger group being upgraded to aluminium is kind of important for the way it's retained in the gun.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Because there was a time where the remington 870 was made much more refined and far better finished. People got used to it being that way, and mossbergs being rough around the edges. Now days, mossberg hasn't changed much at all, but remington is now finished and refined LESS than mossberg.

Remington continues to offer a finely finished 870. It's called the Trap Grade. Mossberg offers the 500 Classic with a high gloss Walnut stock and polished blued finish, and a jeweled bolt.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    OMG, can we get a clear answer here??? Is it ridiculous for me to suppose that the BRAND NEW Remington 870 EXPRESS (not a higher priced model, or an 870 of old) and the BRAND NEW Mossberg 500 (not the 590a1, or some other more expensive model) Are roughly the same in quality?

They have differences, of course, but if you pick them both up today, in their lowest priced models, I cannot seem to see a difference between them.

This whole thing has been made SO much more complicated than I intended.

Im talking about comparing the cheapest Mossberg 500 vs Cheapest 870 Express, considering any others are not a fair comparison.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you don't feel the difference up front, then you may never feel the difference.
    Some people are rather crude in their perceptions (for a variety of reasons).

Sure, some folks blow smoke up other's butts with supposed higher understanding or finer touch....when they really don't know or feel diddly.

15 pages this thread...................and you've handled each type of rig in person?

If you can't decide now, then I bet it doesn't matter what you ultimately pick.

Geesh, it's like a teenager sitting at the register at McD's...........can't decide if they want a #3 or #4 from the menu.
    It's not like you're dropping 28K on a Parker or similar.

Last edited:

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    About as many as do an 870. At least in regards to dedicated Trap & Skeet shooters. Pump guns of any kind have fallen out of favor over the last several decades. No dedicated Trap shooter wants all that rocking and rolling that comes along for the ride on the forend of ANY pump shotgun. Most all shoot break guns. Either BT-99 singles, or else some type of O/U. If you look at any high average ATA Trap shooter, none will be shooting pumps. They are all but worthless for doubles.
    I shot skeet for years with a 20 gauge Wingmaster, rarely hit fewer than 23, mostly 24 or 25. Your last sentence is incorrect.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Real simple.............both are low end rigs (870 Express or M500)...........pick one.
    Try it and if you dislike it down the road, sell it and try the other (or something else).
    If you buy the initial rig used you might break even or heaven forbid, maybe even make a buck by changing your mind.
    Even if there is the loss of a few dollars, getting rid of an item you dislike may make that entirely tolerable.

FWIW I started with a M51 Ithaca 20 gauge. Then went 870 Wingmaster after 1 yr. Have had other pumps autos and a few OU's (Citori Magnum was sweet 'cept it hit too high for my flat gun upbringing).

Guess what? 30+ guns later and I'm back to 870, a cheap Express Supermag, and it works just fine. But..........I also have an 1100 Magnum, and will probably get a Ruger Redlabel 20. I reckon just for hunting a guy needs 3 shotguns minimum for Indiana ;)

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Dude, I picked one along time ago, this thread was never about that. The reason its lasted 15 pages (its 4 pages for me) is because no one but me seems to have the first clue what Im talking about. I guess Im the only person here that wonders what other people see in something to make them hold it higher, when its really not ALOT different. I think I got my answer as far as most people are concerned. The people who actually contributed here have made me decide I should get an express now just for the hell of it.

I need one more to meet the minimum of 3 anyway.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I find the 870 rib, bbl attachment, fore-end shape, receiver etc........more pleasing to my eye (but what the hell do I know, being an art major).
    Getting away from looks.............870's don't rattle like 500's.
    Moving from looks and sound..............lets go with ergonomics............thick wristed bird guns me no likey.

Sight, sound and feel..............870 wins on all fronts.

Not a lot of difference................yeah, same argument when some dude thinks his Bear Grizzly recurve from '78 is as fast, smooth, and quiet as a Blackwidow SA2. Heard it quite a bit.........one costs $150 used, the other $600 (used).

Just because somebody may not notice differences, that doesn't mean they aren't there. Sometimes the differences are great, sometimes they aren't.

It is the consumer to decided how much he/she is willing to pay for such differences.

While the little differences have a seemingly disproportionate cost, typically, the more one shoots the larger the initially small differences become.

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    870 express is a rickety bargain gun

I have an 870P Max that is just a great shotgun. Never an issue, even when full of dirt all around the FCG. It will eat absolutely anything.

Interestingly, it's best patterns are with Remington buck. 35 yards on man sized target.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I shot skeet for years with a 20 gauge Wingmaster, rarely hit fewer than 23, mostly 24 or 25. Your last sentence is incorrect.

Because YOU did it? It doesn't matter. Go to any ATA tournament and you will not see ANY top placing shooters shooting pumps. There is a reason for that.

Roan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Franklin
    The only reason I bought the 870 over the 500 was because it was on sale for the same price as 500. My buddy I hunt with a lot has the 500 and it seems to rattle a lot. I don't know if that's because he tosses it on the ground(empty) or it came that way. Otherwise I think both are great guns but I'd buy the 870 again just because I'm used to it.

Top Bottom