Why does everyone love the Remington 870 so much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Recent threads have led me to realize that my preference of the Mossberg 500 over the Remington 870 express might be uncommon.

So? Why does everyone like the 870 express so much? I cant figure out why it would be ANY better than a Mossberg 500, but I can find a few reasons why the 500 could be considered better than the 870 express.

Opinions?

It's extremely tough to beat an old 870 Wingmaster. I truly regret selling my left handed version back in college. Simply a fine gun.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I have always liked the 870. First shotgun and have collected three of them over the years. Not too happy with one of them right now though. It got wet turkey hunting yesterday. Took it apart tonight and the little welds that hold the bar in the receiver that connect with the action bar are broken and that peice fell out. At least you can hold it in place and reassemble, just a pain. I had another one do this over the years. Still my favorite pump gun though. Benelli's fill my auto needs.

If you're talking about the shell latch(es), every one I've ever seen was staked, not welded. And yes they can be a pain to put back in. You just need to use all three of your hands, a couple of pins and hold your tongue just right.
    Here's a video on fixing the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKALQLRYflg

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    I have had the pleasure of working on many 870's. I can say firsthand they can take neglect and abuse that would stop a 500. The pre 69 guns run forever and I have seen a couple that saw in excess of 10,000 rounds as a range gun still chugging along. I have seen them come in with broken and missing parts and would still run enough to fight with. The 500 is a good gun, but not one I would use hard for 20 years. I can say from what i've seen of the freedom group made remingtons quality and finishing have taken a backseat. Just like marlin and para has suffered they have as well.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think most 870 lovers would take issue with that, and say its the 1911 of shotguns.
    Nah, Glock is the 870 of handguns.

Your statement would assume the Winchester Model 12 never existed. THAT is the 1911 of pump shotguns and why the 870 is exactly what it is.

An interesting survey would be of people who own and actually use their shotguns, what handguns do they prefer.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Some of you are missing the point here... I think Ive figured it out though. Seems like everyone is lumping ALL 870's together, and thats really not fair. The CURRENT Remington 870 express, which was the basis of my comparison, vs the CURRENT Mossberg 500, was the question. I know your wingmaster, and the 870 your daddy gave you are all WAY WAY better, but your starting to factor in the different levels and eras of manufacture, and that is NOT fair, NOT AT ALL!!!

Lets compare apples to apples here.

Im starting to think nostalgia, memories, and offset comparisons are the reason everyone touts the 870 so much.

If you were standing in walmart today, had to pick either the Mossberg 500, or the Remington 870 Express, which would you pick, and why?

Ive held both of the modern versions, shot them both, and I saw no difference in quality, and I dont see how anyone else can, if being fair in the comparison.
    Im interested to know if there's something I missed.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The CURRENT Remington 870 express, which was the basis of my comparison, vs the CURRENT Mossberg 500, was the question.

I made this decision as recently as 2007, I chose the 870 Express after owning and shooting both and have no regrets. I've already shared my reasons in this very thread.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I made this decision as recently as 2007, I chose the 870 Express after owning and shooting both and have no regrets. I've already shared my reasons in this very thread.

Your first post is very informative, and a credit to this thread. The other post of the 870 that doesnt seem like the express at all, however seems like its not an apples to apples comparison.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Okay, I will change my answer since you specifically asked about the Express. Between the Express and the Mossberg, I would take the Mossberg. I had an 870 Express years ago when they first came out. Mine shot way to the right, stock was stained and not clear coated and turned your gloves the color of the stain and the parkerized finish rusted very easily. Never had a Mossberg but would try one over an Express.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    ..........Mine shot way to the right, stock was stained and not clear coated and turned your gloves the color of the stain and the parkerized finish rusted very easily.

In all fairness Parkerizing has to be initially heavily coated with oil, in order to offer any kind of rust prevention. The Parkerizing itself offers little to no protection on it's own. It's porous surface has the ability to trap oil, and hold it to the surface of the metal itself. Without treating the Parkerizing with oil, (and retreating it as necessary depending on the environment), rusting is all but assured. Especially in a damp or wet climate. The Parkerizing on a Remington Express, or a Mossberg 500 or 590 is the same in this regard. In most all cases of a Parkerized firearm rusting, it is not the fault of the Parkerizing, but rather the lack of it's treatment with oil, that caused the rusting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    870's Expresses are not Parkerized, they are simply matte finished.

There may be Police and or military versions of 870 that are.

The 1100 Special Purpose was Parkerized, while the 870 Special Purpose was not.

Matte finish, will hold water and also not allow protective coatings to sheet easily, those two together can promote rust.
    However, I have had several 870 Express and SP...........and none have rusted. But then I use that crappy Remoil, watch my gear and damn near sweat gun oil (some folks are quite rusty with their skin oils/chemistry). Also own an 1100 SP....definitely Parkerized..

I hunt in the rain too.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I still have both an 870 express and Mossy 590. I prefer the safety and unlock lever on the Mossberg, but the 870 runs and handles great. My brother bought a brand new 870 express when our Wal mart stopped selling guns, sat in his safe and rusted in a month. Most of it wiped off though and it shoots great, not that big of a deal.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    870's Expresses are not Parkerized, they are simply matte finished. There may be Police and or military versions of 870 that are.

The Remington 870 Police Models have a Parkerized barrel and receiver. The Mossberg 590 A-1 Models have Parkerized barrels. The receiver is Aluminum on all Mossberg pump models, so Parkerizing is not necessary. I think they are bead blasted, or else treated to some type of finish that mimics Parkerizing, so that it matches the Parkerizing on the barrels.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I guess my question would be why do you want us to love the Mossberg more than the 870 so bad? I have 3 870's, 2 Expresses, and one express special purpose turkey gun. My dad has 3 870's two express and one Wingmaster. They are what I grew up with, and they all performed flawlessly as mine have since I bought them. I have never shot a Mossberg, but I have handled one and it just felt cheaper to me. All of mine have been purchased since 2008, and I handled several brands before deciding on the 870. It to me, was the better gun for the money at the time. Maybe they changed since I bought mine.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Im starting to think nostalgia, memories, and offset comparisons are the reason everyone touts the 870 so much.
    No, a polished turd is still a turd.

Any 870 can be turned into a diamond, a Mossberg is still a Mossberg. Hand me an 870 from 40-50 years ago or one from yesterday, I am not buying any Mossberg. That is how I roll. What other people do is not relevant. There are people out there who are just like me only they say Mossberg where I say 870.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So you agree, Mossbergs are turds. Clearly you don't know much about polising turds.

I am thinking of that insult dog right now, it would be classic if someone could do that for this topic. Maybe he could put the turd polishers in their place once and for all?

Top Bottom