• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I know this is WAY off topic but. . . . . . . . . . . . I have carpet in one of our little used bedrooms (my kids are grown and gone). It has stretched and now shows "wrinkles" throughout the room. The carpet is probably at least 15 years old. The only thing I can think of that has changed is that we had had our formally damp crawl space encapsulated and drainage lines installed So there is now less humidity in the house.

The room gets little use so minimal to no wear from foot traffic. I would almost consider trying to restretch it - but I have a gun safe and a heavy roll top desk sitting on the carpet and neither would be easy to move. I've even thought about cutting the carpet down the middle of the room and trying reseam it - but not knowing what caused the issue gives me concern if I "fix it" - will it happen again ?

TIA. for thoughts or suggestions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I know this is WAY off topic but. . . . . . . . . . . . I have carpet in one of our little used bedrooms (my kids are grown and gone). It has stretched and now shows "wrinkles" throughout the room. The carpet is probably at least 15 years old. The only thing I can think of that has changed is that we had had our formally damp crawl space encapsulated and drainage lines installed So there is now less humidity in the house.

The room gets little use so minimal to no wear from foot traffic. I would almost consider trying to restretch it - but I have a gun safe and a heavy roll top desk sitting on the carpet and neither would be easy to move. I've even thought about cutting the carpet down the middle of the room and trying reseam it - but not knowing what caused the issue gives me concern if I "fix it" - will it happen again ?

TIA. for thoughts or suggestions.
    Because it was not properly installed. If buyers do not oversee the carpet installation the installers often just “kick it in” and do not use the power stretcher to stretch it tight in the room. Another possibility is cheap backing that does not hold. Very common issue today, sadly…

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Because it was not properly installed. If buyers do not oversee the carpet installation the installers often just “kick it in” and do not use the power stretcher to stretch it tight in the room. Another possibility is cheap backing that does not hold. Very common issue today, sadly…
    I've heard that the quality of a carpet job, starts with good padding.
    We got carpet installed 15 or 16 years ago and had neoprene padding installed under the carpet.
    If push comes to shove, I'd drop down in carpet quality (a bit), to stay with quality padding.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've heard that the quality of a carpet job, starts with good padding.
    We got carpet installed 15 or 16 years ago and had neoprene padding installed under the carpet.
    If push comes to shove, I'd drop down in carpet quality (a bit), to stay with quality padding.
    Great pad can make cheaper carpet feel more luxurious and will last far longer than cheap pad. I have seen cheap pad turn to dust in traffic areas in 5-6 years.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Great pad can make cheaper carpet feel more luxurious and will last far longer than cheap pad. I have seen cheap pad turn to dust in traffic areas in 5-6 years.
    I guess it's like the foundation of a building.
    If it's on bedrock, it will stand. If it's on sand, no matter how pretty it is, it will fail.

Let that be a lesson to all you youngsters out there. :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    d5e1b7d434387b806222fad527ea620c.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    15 year old carpet?

Seems like it'd be worth it to replace it and the pad.

Or put down some LVT.
    Many folks are shocked to find out the installation details on LVP. It must be on a perfectly level floor or it will fail and warranty will be void. It is not unusual for leveling to cost half or even 100% of the installation costs.

I might add that the leveling costs are not usually known until the old flooring is removed…

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Many folks are shocked to find out the installation details on LVP. It must be on a perfectly level floor or it will fail and warranty will be void. It is not unusual for leveling to cost half or even 100% of the installation costs.

I might add that the leveling costs are not usually known until the old flooring is removed…
    I just put down LVP in the upstairs bathroom, about 13 feet by 12.5 feet. It is super easy to put down compared to laminate or engineered hardwood, but you are right. I spent a couple weeks of evenings and Saturdays getting the floor flat after I removed the old vinyl sheet. Laying the planks themselves took about 2 hours one evening to do 3/4 of the room and then another couple of hours on a different day to take up the toilet and lay the part that needed more custom cuts. Probably 10 hours getting the floor right before laying the planks.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just put down LVP in the upstairs bathroom, about 13 feet by 12.5 feet. It is super easy to put down compared to laminate or engineered hardwood, but you are right. I spent a couple weeks of evenings and Saturdays getting the floor flat after I removed the old vinyl sheet. Laying the planks themselves took about 2 hours one evening to do 3/4 of the room and then another couple of hours on a different day to take up the toilet and lay the part that needed more custom cuts. Probably 10 hours getting the floor right before laying the planks.
    I had a friend spend $6000 to get the basement floor of a brand new home level for LVP installation. They were upset with the builder but the engineer they hired to check it said it was poured within expected spec but the requirements of the floor were just a part of LVP…

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a friend spend $6000 to get the basement floor of a brand new home level for LVP installation. They were upset with the builder but the engineer they hired to check it said it was poured within expected spec but the requirements of the floor were just a part of LVP…
    I think it was 3/16th of an inch over 10 feet....that a really tight tolerance for concrete and even for a wood subfloor.

One reason I went with stained concrete in the basement. Another being that I don't have to rip anything up if it floods.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I had this guy out to stretch carpet in two rooms before we listed our house. We had to have everything off the carpet but he did the job quick and it looked great. No issues with it the remaining two months we were in the house.

$200 cash is what I paid.

And this is why I hired a guy to put our planks down, over the linoleum. It took him and his helper about 10 hours to do 4 rooms, a hallway and plenty of cuts. I couldn't believe how reasonable his labor cost was so I gladly paid it.

Top Bottom