• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Recently I returned from a business trip to Germany. After a few rounds of drinks, a co-worker I trusted and had shared with my passion for hunting, target shooting, and ownership of land with several shooting ranges recounted this in front of a more diverse crowd. Immediately, another employee living in Germany aggressively questioned me on the need to be armed and own guns. Being a work encounter with all of the potential fallouts, I put off as much as I could on it being a different culture in the US etc etc.

But really, I'm getting this question from someone residing in a country which was systematically disarmed by the Nazis prior to their undertaking the most lethal war ever known to mankind. It was almost too much to sit there and take.

It was striking to me how little value someone in such a country would recognize the importance of individual rights. But in their mind, I was clearly some sort or dangerous pariah for my lifestyle. Kind of a disturbing preview of what may be to come here in our own country.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I would have said. "Look, I know it's unrealistic but humor me. What if a crazy tyrant ended up in power and went around committing genocide and other atrocities? Wouldn't you want to be able to resist? I mean I know it's a long shot but...."

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You were in a target-rich environment. You should have asked them why the Nazi's systematically disarmed the Jews and ask how dare he imply that those who refuse to be disarmed should be ashamed. The right to be armed is primarily there to protect against the government, not hunting, target shooting, or collecting.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I spent a week in Munich during the summer of '06 in training for work. That was pretty much the height of Bush bashing for Iraq. They have some very definite opinions of America and why we're inferior on so many levels. There's only so much smiling and deflecting that you can do. I just drank as much of their beer as I could and felt satisfied with that.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Many years ago several co-workers and I had to take a road trip to Detroit with our French-Canadian department manager. Everybody was a gun nut except Kermit. After about 3 hours of "gun discussion" in the company minivan, he finally went apesh!t on us..."I cannot understand...I know Americans can have guns...but why eez everybody sooo preoccupied about it...for THREE HOURs, you talk about nothing but guns, and guns, and guns...eez CRAZY, I never hear anything like it, anywhere I travel!"

Once we knew we were under his skin about it - we killed it for the rest of the 5 hour trip. Every attempt to change the subject met with an iron wall of Glock-talk. Even the lone chick played along...it was awesome.

I think we made an impression on him, I really do.

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I ran in to same situation in Canada several years ago. Today I would have pushed it. Then I was much younger. Only us salesman understood. It was a supplier so I could have pushed hard but didn't.

Had opposite experience in England last year. Talk quickly flashed across guns and AR 15s and interest peaked but only in passing. No long term discussion.

ADDICTED2TONE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Floyds Knobs
    I have had this happen to me before too. I just tell em, because I'm an American and it's my right under the Constitution. I grew up around guns, that was instilled in my brain at very early age.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    There is a cultural gap, and some people are genuinely curious. Sadly, on the other hand that same cultural gap can cause misunderstandings, and some people have their own entrenched opinions. Sometimes you just have to ask some questions to see who you're dealing with, and how much energy you are prepared to expend on potentially dealing with an ostrich.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Recently I returned from a business trip to Germany. After a few rounds of drinks, a co-worker I trusted and had shared with my passion for hunting, target shooting, and ownership of land with several shooting ranges recounted this in front of a more diverse crowd. Immediately, another employee living in Germany aggressively questioned me on the need to be armed and own guns. Being a work encounter with all of the potential fallouts, I put off as much as I could on it being a different culture in the US etc etc.

But really, I'm getting this question from someone residing in a country which was systematically disarmed by the Nazis prior to their undertaking the most lethal war ever known to mankind. It was almost too much to sit there and take.

It was striking to me how little value someone in such a country would recognize the importance of individual rights. But in their mind, I was clearly some sort or dangerous pariah for my lifestyle. Kind of a disturbing preview of what may be to come here in our own country.

When asked the same question by my German counterparts I asked, why do Germans care so much about schnitzel????

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

They have been overdosed.....:koolaid:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You should have said, "Because we expect you will start a third world war and we want to be ready to kick your asses. Again."

And that is coming from a proud Prussian-American...note my avatar. ;)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I experience this a great deal and in a work environment you must remain professional and keep the perceived insults to a low minimum. My usual response to deflect is simply to say something along these lines...

Given our history, how and why we won our independence, arming one's self is synonymous with freedom and liberty...very similar to how the broadhead became the symbol of freedom and liberty to the Brits post magna carta...only truly free men were allowed to possess broadheads with their archery gear.

Top Bottom