• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Never been under an HOA. Fees being a big turn off for me, particularly fees that can change based on a neighborhood vote. Sort of like a trailer park without the wheels, someone else controls a portion of your "lot rent".

I currently own three pieces of property. One is very rural. I liked living there. My wife would not. It'd also be something like a 2 hour commute, which I would not like and until recently would not have been legally permissible due to residency requirements. The second is an older house on a small lot in a small town. You can very much expect rednecks doing redneck things due to the location and the pricing. I'm ok with rednecks doing redneck things. My wife, not so much.

My primary residence is in a 1950's bedford stone or brick subdivision (ours is stone). The lots are not quite an acre. Most of my neighbors are now Bhurmese. They keep to themselves, take better care of their lawns then I do, but apparently hate trees. I don't really see what an HOA could do for me other than perhaps plow the snow, which the city doesn't do.

There is an old van with expired plates parked in a driveway of one of the remaining white families. I could probably call the Mayor's Action line and get it addressed, or just complain directly. I don't care. It's not a hive of killer bees, it's an old van. So I don't because it's none of my business.

Similar here, near White River/Broadripple with 1.8 acres. No HOA. I had a boat in my driveway for <6 mos., I do brake jobs and oil changes for friends. Have a couple large parties with bonfires every few years. Never a complaint.

I always let my neighbors know what I am planning and invite them as well. I have lots of parking space due to a drive-thru driveway and allow neighbors guests to park in it for their large parties keeping cars off the street and lawns.

The HOA's that try to ban flags and other patriotic symbols? Well, they can su** ** ****.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Three kinds of people run for HOA boards: people who are reasonable and care about the neighborhood; people with an agenda; people who are bat**** crazy.
    So which kind was PhotoNinja?:stickpoke:

An HOA and covenants are an agreement the owner agreed to when they bought the land, no more no less. Please understand the agreement you are making before buying the house and everyone will be happier.
    We live in an HOA n'hood now because it is equidistant to her work and my shop. The house was a bank-owned foreclosure, and on the day of closing(changing out locks) I knew I would not like the next-door neighbor. Funny thing is, she probably thought she would never se me after that day(my truck has my business name on it, construction related)--she has never said a word to me since that day either.

Yeah, we got violations for weeds in the yard...the previous owner hadn't done much upkeep(brain cancer), so it took a while to deal with some stuff. But after calling the Mgt. Co and explaining that we were new owners and we were treating the yard, their response was "Oh, we didn't know the house had sold". :n00b:

The only other violation we got was last year in December for having a trailer parked in the street. I was doing a job over by Geist, and would stop at the house to have supper with my family before taking my cargo trailer to the shop for the night. When I called the Mgt Co, they said I was not in violation, but the board president said I was. Our lawyer gave us the needed "ammo" to get the board president off our backs, and the talk I had with the Mgt Co liaison put everything straight. Seeing how PhotoNinja was the HOA president in her last neighborhood, we had gone over the CCR's, ByLaws, and all other important documents prior to purchase.

I would rather not live in an HOA, seeing how the first 40 years of my life(besides time at college) was spent living in the country. Short of living across the street from KellyinAvon, this place isn't a bad second choice.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I explicitly told my realtor no HOA neighborhoods when I was looking.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend hundreds of thousands of my hard earned dollars on something to be told what to do with it by some busybody d***head retirees and Karens. I don't have time to go to HOA meetings because I work for a living.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So which kind was PhotoNinja?:stickpoke:

We live in an HOA n'hood now because it is equidistant to her work and my shop. The house was a bank-owned foreclosure, and on the day of closing(changing out locks) I knew I would not like the next-door neighbor. Funny thing is, she probably thought she would never se me after that day(my truck has my business name on it, construction related)--she has never said a word to me since that day either.

Yeah, we got violations for weeds in the yard...the previous owner hadn't done much upkeep(brain cancer), so it took a while to deal with some stuff. But after calling the Mgt. Co and explaining that we were new owners and we were treating the yard, their response was "Oh, we didn't know the house had sold". :n00b:

The only other violation we got was last year in December for having a trailer parked in the street. I was doing a job over by Geist, and would stop at the house to have supper with my family before taking my cargo trailer to the shop for the night. When I called the Mgt Co, they said I was not in violation, but the board president said I was. Our lawyer gave us the needed "ammo" to get the board president off our backs, and the talk I had with the Mgt Co liaison put everything straight. Seeing how PhotoNinja was the HOA president in her last neighborhood, we had gone over the CCR's, ByLaws, and all other important documents prior to purchase.

I would rather not live in an HOA, seeing how the first 40 years of my life(besides time at college) was spent living in the country. Short of living across the street from KellyinAvon, this place isn't a bad second choice.
    PhotoNinja needs theme music, just saying…

So we have determined you are not the 80-something dude who does live across the street from me ;)

Last time I was the PhotoNinja: suspected drug dealing. Never for HOA ****. I have no problem with people enjoying the herb (they seem to be older than me, the three folks who do smoke the weed in my neighborhood. It smells like the 70s after all…) but drug dealing won’t be tolerated.

An overzealous retiree can become an issue when on a board. That’s why it’s important to have folks on there to rein them in.
    (Checks weather app) Hell hasn’t froze over, I won’t be getting back on a HOA board today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    HOA exist because some folks want them.
    I agree with many who say if you sign up follow the outlined path or don’t sign up.
    my dad moved into an HOA environment in the late 70’s and could never get along nor understand the reasoning behind the HOA.
    but he was a typical blue collar Democrat so I always figured that into the equation. He wanted a split rail fence around the front yard. Against the rules. Back yard OK front no. He did it any way and man oh man the :poop: hit the fan.
    thing is he was the 1st to bitch if something bothered him.
    typical blue collar Dem.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I think HOAs are wonderful things. They help to keep petty, would be tyrants with too much free time out of local government and concentrate those control enthusiasts that gladly live like sheep in the hope of being able to exert some small control over their neighbors into communities where they can more easily be avoided.

I will never live anywhere with a HOA because I see absolutely no appeal in paying fees and ceding control of my property to a group of people with nothing more gainful to do with their time than to spend it constantly worried about what others are doing with their properties.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think HOAs are wonderful things. They help to keep petty, would be tyrants with too much free time out of local government and concentrate those control enthusiasts that gladly live like sheep in the hope of being able to exert some small control over their neighbors into communities where they can more easily be avoided.

I will never live anywhere with a HOA because I see absolutely no appeal in paying fees and ceding control of my property to a group of people with nothing more gainful to do with their time than to spend it constantly worried about what others are doing with their properties.
    Thankfully I picked up this Mod-gig and don’t have time to harass my neighbors anymore. Now I give out warnings for subject-verb agreement and ellipsis abuse.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

It is good you know you do not have the temperament to live with an agreement with your neighbors as to how you will maintain the property for the benefit of all.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It is good you know you do not have the temperament to live with an agreement with your neighbors as to how you will maintain the property for the benefit of all.
    LOL, I believe that's known as projection. I do not require a contractual agreement or a board of busybodies to live with my neighbors. I maintain my property for my benefit, they maintain theirs for their benefit and we leave each other the hell alone. It's a pretty simple concept really and even simpler in practice so long as those involved don't have a compulsive need to control what doesn't belong to them.

Now, if you are so concerned with your neighbors that you just can't live without that contractual agreement and the board of busybodies, that is your choice and good on you for making it. As previously stated, I'm glad that choice exists and I hope you exercise that choice so that those of us not so burdened by control issues are not forced to endure yours.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    LOL, I believe that's known as projection. I do not require a contractual agreement or a board of busybodies to live with my neighbors. I maintain my property for my benefit, they maintain theirs for their benefit and we leave each other the hell alone. It's a pretty simple concept really and even simpler in practice so long as those involved don't have a compulsive need to control what doesn't belong to them.

Now, if you are so concerned with your neighbors that you just can't live without that contractual agreement and the board of busybodies, that is your choice and good on you for making it. As previously stated, I'm glad that choice exists and I hope you exercise that choice so that those of us not so burdened by control issues are not forced to endure yours.

As I stated earlier the need for HOA or just covenants is proportional to the lot sizes and configuration. The more on top of each other the lots the greater the need.

Homes on a full acre lot with 100' driveways that are a long way from your property line can hold an RV without intruding on the neighbors. On a quarter acre with a 30' setback it covers the sidewalk and blocks the street view for everyone else. Been in the quarter acre neighborhood where everyone had the big RV and it is just ugly.

If I had a hundred acres I wouldn't need an HOA, maybe even if I had 10, but certainly do like them below an acre.

Top Bottom