• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ambulance on run hit by gunfire | FortWayne.com - Fort Wayne IN

Apparently, some guy was stabbed with a beer bottle and the one who did it stabbed him for a purpose. Not to be denied vengeance for whatever slight, the reported assailant then proceeded to follow and shoot up the family following the ambulance, then shoot up the ambulance, too. One of the caregivers in back was hit by bullet fragments and the driver was able to report a description of the accused's car and all four occupants were apprehended, but we don't know if they were found armed.

Interesting points from the article: The bar owner was so proud of his no-guns policy, cameras, staff trained in patdowns, and police presence in his club... Which did a great job of providing a nice little helpless victim for the shooter... and the spokesman for the ambulance acknowledged that his ambulances had been shot at before but their possible proposed solution is to have a police car accompany the ambulance... This is a great idea if you want one or the other emergency vehicle hit by another driver, not so much for actually protecting anyone.

I'm undecided as to whether or not the EMTs carrying would have been helpful or not, but I still disagree that the law should be used to prevent them from doing so.
    (No, there's no law specifically criminalizing EMT carry, but all it takes is a call to the local school or other criminal protection zone to make them felons and unable not only to carry but to continue working in EMS.)

ETA: No, I do not want the law changed to make it OK for EMTs to carry at schools, etc. I want the law changed to decriminalize carry in those criminal protection zones by ALL the good people.

Comments are welcome.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well, as you may remember I have been trying to get stuff going with my local representative. Since that time of year is coming upon us again, we all need to write our reeps to try and push legislation through.

gvonpaul

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Personally, as a paramedic, I don't think it's a good idea. People have to trust us and if they see us as pseudo police officers, they won't. In addition, I think if people knew we were carrying, it may put us in more danger. Being neutral allows us to play 'bad cop, good medic.'
    We generally have good support from the police and the folks I know have a very high situational awareness. We try very hard not to put ourselves in situations where we are in danger. If we find ourselves in such a situation, we get out, quick.
    Just my two cents.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I was a Paramedic for 15 years...both Indy and Ft Wayne. Situational awareness and political awareness go "out the proverbial window" when you are being shot at as a whole. Been there done that. In Ft Wayne a good many years ago...we requested vests. We were denied. Told we should never be in a situation where we could "get shot'' ! Haha. We then offered to buy our own...denied again. Ducking, running for your life for cover and being able to return fire would have been preferred. Not sensationalizing. Not a glory hound. One rocket scientist type we worked for used to say "become a cop" if you don't like what you do. I didn't become a cop because I was a Paramedic and loved it. As far as being an armed Paramedic...Yep, I am for it. Another tool of the business.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I was a Paramedic for 15 years...both Indy and Ft Wayne. Situational awareness and political awareness go "out the proverbial window" when you are being shot at as a whole. Been there done that. In Ft Wayne a good many years ago...we requested vests. We were denied. Told we should never be in a situation where we could "get shot'' ! Haha. We then offered to buy our own...denied again. Ducking, running for your life for cover and being able to return fire would have been preferred. Not sensationalizing. Not a glory hound. One rocket scientist type we worked for used to say "become a cop" if you don't like what you do. I didn't become a cop because I was a Paramedic and loved it. As far as being an armed Paramedic...Yep, I am for it. Another tool of the business.

There are a number of security companies that don't allow their guards to wear vests either....for the same reasons.

Go figure.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Personally, as a paramedic, I don't think it's a good idea. People have to trust us and if they see us as pseudo police officers, they won't. In addition, I think if people knew we were carrying, it may put us in more danger. Being neutral allows us to play 'bad cop, good medic.'
    We generally have good support from the police and the folks I know have a very high situational awareness. We try very hard not to put ourselves in situations where we are in danger. If we find ourselves in such a situation, we get out, quick.
    Just my two cents.

So you are saying you will be in less danger if it is illegal for you to carry?

*Sigh*

I have nothing else to contribute here, since there is nothing I could say that you haven't already heard before.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I saw my state senator Phil Boots last Thursday having lunch at the same place. I thanked him for some excellent work on our behalf, which is something he doesn't hear much I think. As he was leaving, I asked him specifically to do what he could to help make our License to Carry Handgun valid on school grounds again (as it was before the mid 1990s). He'll try, but this is going to be a much bigger battle than any they've won so far.

gvonpaul

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So you are saying you will be in less danger if it is illegal for you to carry?

*Sigh*

I have nothing else to contribute here, since there is nothing I could say that you haven't already heard before.
    Paramedics aren't police officers but I would guarantee you that if they were allowed to carry, there are many who would try and act like they were. I have been a paramedic for 30 years (in an urban setting) and have never been in a situation where I needed a handgun. If there is potential danger evident in the initial call, the police are sent with us and we don't even approach the scene until PD has secured it.
    People see us as neutral and are generally less antagonistic toward us than than they are toward the police. Years ago there was an uproar when IMPD's (then IPD) SWAT team used an old ambulance to respond in. We complained (rightfully so) that it put all of us in potential danger of people identifying us as the police. Eventually they stopped doing it.
    Just out of curiosity, what would the Fort Wayne crew have done if they had been armed? Returned fire from the back of a moving ambulance? It was an unfortunate situation, no argument, but not one that happens on a routine basis.
    I'm a big 2A advocate, but I don't really think anything would be served by allowing us to carry.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I don't think anyone is advocating a movie scene shoot-out between the ambulance and the thugs while racing to the hospital. What happens if they decide to block in the ambulance and get out of their car and shoot everyone inside? We can just tell their loved ones that it was a risk of the job.

I can believe that they are responding to the same call as a LEO yet we don't feel the need for them to be as prepared. Most LEO have never been in a situation that they had to use their gun, but they still carry one. Most have not been shot at but they all are given vests.

At the very least they should be given the option along with the proper training to protect themselves as they see fit.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Paramedics aren't police officers but I would guarantee you that if they were allowed to carry, there are many who would try and act like they were. I have been a paramedic for 30 years (in an urban setting) and have never been in a situation where I needed a handgun. If there is potential danger evident in the initial call, the police are sent with us and we don't even approach the scene until PD has secured it.
    People see us as neutral and are generally less antagonistic toward us than than they are toward the police. Years ago there was an uproar when IMPD's (then IPD) SWAT team used an old ambulance to respond in. We complained (rightfully so) that it put all of us in potential danger of people identifying us as the police. Eventually they stopped doing it.
    Just out of curiosity, what would the Fort Wayne crew have done if they had been armed? Returned fire from the back of a moving ambulance? It was an unfortunate situation, no argument, but not one that happens on a routine basis.
    I'm a big 2A advocate, but I don't really think anything would be served by allowing us to carry.

Unfortunately, there are those that haven't been so fortunate.

I'm torn about arming EMTs for all the reasons you outlined, but also because 2A is a right inherent to all free men. Allow the disarming of one occupation, all other occupations are subject to fall accordingly.

Just like disarming the black man.......and it came to pass that the white man has been disarmed as well. Its a huge, slippery slope.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just my two cents.

My daughter works in an ER.....and they get a lot of folks in looking for drug handouts, fixes, etc. The ER security staff is 70 plus years old, and unarmed.

Many of the nurses carry to work.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    There is a member on INGO, I forget who, that had a knife pulled on them while on a "nonviolent" call. If I remember right, it was a call for a heart attack.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why should EMTs and paramedics be less prepared for daily life than the average person who is not in those professions?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Gillespie said ambulances in the city have been hit by stray bullets a few times but he knew of nothing like Sunday's shooting.

"We don't have anything documented where it was an attempt to cause harm," he said.

This is only a half truth. I know medics from TRAA that have been robbed for their narcs on their trucks. Yeah they weren't shot at but they've had guns pulled on them in the past.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Posted this in another thread but here's the shooters CCH.

02D04-0506-IF-008930
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    06/20/2005
    Allen Superior Court 6
    IF - Infraction
    Decided
    NO SAFETY BELT/PASSENGER

02D04-0704-MC-000687
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    04/09/2007
    Allen Superior Court 5
    MC - Miscellaneous Criminal
    Decided
    P.C. REC STOLEN PROPERTY
    POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA
    CARRYING HANDGUN W/O LICENSE

02D04-0805-CM-003466
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    05/27/2008
    Allen Superior Court 4
    CM - Criminal Misdemeanor
    Decided
    CARRYING HANDGUN W/O LICENSE

02D04-0902-CM-000749
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    02/10/2009
    Allen Superior Court 4
    Decided
    POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA
    DRIVING LEFT CENTER

02D04-0906-IF-007113
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    06/03/2009
    Allen Superior Court 4
    IF - Infraction
    Decided
    OPERATE WHILE SUSP (INF)
    EXCEED MAX LAWFUL SPEEDS

02D04-0906-IF-007416
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    06/08/2009
    Allen Superior Court 6
    IF - Infraction
    Decided
    NO OP. LICENSE IN POSS'N

02D05-1010-MC-002141
    JACKSON, TRANEILOUS L
    10/05/2010
    Allen Superior Court 5
    MC - Miscellaneous Criminal (Citation)
    Decided
    35-47-2-1/FC: Carrying Handgun w/o License-Prior/Prior Felony w/in 15 Yrs/School Prop, School Bus
    35-43-4-2(b)/FD: Receiving Stolen Property
    9-24-19-2/MA: Driving While Suspended (Prior w/in 10 years)

02D05-1010-FC-000230
    Jackson, Traneilous L.
    10/08/2010
    Allen Superior Court 5
    FC - Class C Felony
    Decided
    35-47-2-1/FC: Carrying Handgun w/o License-Prior/Prior Felony w/in 15 Yrs/School Prop, School Bus

02D05-1011-MC-002427
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    11/10/2010
    Allen Superior Court 5
    Decided
    35-48-4-11/FD: Possession Marijuana/Hash Oil/Hashish - Amount Involved OR Prior Conviction
    35-43-4-2(b)/FD: Receiving Stolen Property
    9-19-19-4(c)/IFC: Window Tint Violation by Driver

02D06-1011-FC-000267
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    11/16/2010
    Allen Superior Court 5
    FC - Class C Felony
    Decided
    35-48-4-11/FD: Possession Marijuana/Hash Oil/Hashish - Amount Involved OR Prior Conviction

02D04-1105-CM-003090
    Jackson, Traneilous L
    05/24/2011
    Allen Superior Court 4
    Decided
    35-42-2-1(a)(1)(A)/MA: Battery Resulting in Bodily Injury

***These charges are pending***
    02D05-1209-MC-002429
    JACKSON, TRANEILOUS L
    09/10/2012
    Allen Superior Court 5
    Pending
    35-42-2-1.5/FB: Aggravated Battery: knowingly or intentionally inflicts injury on a person
    35-42-2-2(c)(3)(A)/FC: Crim Recklessness-Shot Firearm Into Inhab Dwelling/Other Gathering Place
    35-42-2-1(a)(3)/FC: Battery Committed by Means of a Deadly Weapon or Resulting in SBI

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Most LEO have never been in a situation that they had to use their gun, but they still carry one. Most have not been shot at but they all are given vests.

There's that dreaded "most LEO" statement.
    If you are on the street as an LEO, work in a city, and you've been there for at least 5 years, you have most certainly been shot at and probably more than once. If you've been an LEO for 2 weeks, you have had to point your gun at someone.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, just your statement. I think medics should get to carry if they want to. I know of several times in indy where if i were a medic i'd wish i had a gun.

I.E. Crazy diabetic guy grabs a pik pole off an IFD firetruck and tries to spear the police and the medics.

Top Bottom