• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Been hording levers all my life. Some of my first gun show purchases were levers, my first new rifle purchase was a lever action, my first trade was for a lever action. It has become very profitable because I was buying these rifles when the were tools not collectibles. Many of the ones I purchased long ago maybe were bought at Kmart and taken deer hunting two years and then stored in a closet for years. with the closing of the original marlin factory the idea of them being tools died. Most of mine are marlins but a few savage browning and Winchester are around.

Had a long conversation with the wife about what was a fine collection of marlin 39a’s and Mounties. I kept many and sold a few but I hate selling good guns. So my collection of 17 39a,s is down to a 39AWS (un shot) a 39d, a 39c a 39a 1940’s era a Mountie 1950’s era and two matching 1980’s versions of 39a and 39m. Trimmed about 10 from the herd. Congrats on those who purchased them from me. she said that 17 of basically the same rifle was to many on New Year’s Day when I had them all out for a yearly cleaning and of course mental health check. I checked myself and unfortunately compromised.
    The profit (well value increase verses inflation) was put into a few other levers. The rest went to debt pay off for interest cuts on house and cars.

I have shot all but the AWS but now the 1980’s 39s and 39m are the one that get shot often as from my testing they seemed to be the most accurate ones of the bunch as I think from the 1960’s to 1989 seemed to be the highest quality of marlins around. I think the new machines of the era and the older craftsmanship was still around giving the best of both worlds gun wise.only a single pre 1964 1982 is in the bunch in 25-20 a saddle ring carbine. The pre 1964’s were already to expensive when I started collecting.

The one my wife came to like most was my marlin 444 outfitter. She asked why I bought it and I told her it was my Bigfoot gun. Two years later for christmas she got me a custom buttcuff with a bigfoot on it.

why the interest now. I don’t know as when I was buying them the bolt action fire was king. The lever was the gun someone who could not afford a bolt hunted with. Maybe that was why I always went the lever action route.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I'll agree with this. Owning things just to own them, but never using them, is pointless in my book. They become just "stuff" taking up space in the safe, and a liability because all you're doing with them is protecting them from damage, corrosion, or theft. If you're not shooting it, it's not fulfilling it's purpose. The insane price increases in recent years are a huge bummer, because what used to be a utilitarian tool that everybody's dad or grandad used to kill woodchucks and put venison on the table has now become a collectible to be hoarded, and that was never what these were intended to be.

The joy of a levergun is in using it. Working that action and being able to send big old 405g junks of lead (or 255s, 240s, 180s, 150s, or even 40s) downrange and ring steel or drop a deer or a squirrel is where it's at. Most of mine are more accurate on paper than they have a right to be, too, and their light weight and trim profile makes them easy to shoot well from a variety of positions.

My .44 comes west with me on vacations and serves the role of a camp gun. There's just something about boondocking in the Rockies or the desert and sitting around a fire with a lever-action propped against the trailer and a big-bore revolver on your hip. If I ever make that big trip to Alaska that I've been planning, and I can get it through Canadian customs, the guide gun in .45-70 will be coming along. The .357 is a cheaper, lower-recoil alternative for plinking steel and has done it's time as a deer gun. The .45 Colt shares ammo with my Blackhawk, and is an absolute tack driver on paper. If I ever get back into deer hunting, it's probably the one I will use. I've actually gotten the least use out of my .30-30, but it still gets out and has some rounds put through it every now and then.

If I'm going to be in a fight with people, I'll pick the AR every time, but for big critters that don't shoot back, a big-bore, deep penetrating levergun offers some advantages. And that's not to say it won't work just fine on people, too, if required.
    Very well put…. A shared sentiment. All of my long arms are lever actions now other than a old 1873 Springfield and a Ruger 10/22 and my grandfathers old Winchester 22 :)

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Old Marlins like the 1893 can be had for much less than the current cost of the same era Winchester they competed against. They cost even less in obsolete calibers like 32-40 which was the tack driver of it's day and the cases can be easily made from 30-30. They also do very well with cast bullets.

The 1893 was the ancestor of the 336 and they share many of the same parts, so if you are looking for a "been there done that" American Heritage lever gun on a budget check them out.

marlwin.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been hording levers all my life. Some of my first gun show purchases were levers, my first new rifle purchase was a lever action, my first trade was for a lever action. It has become very profitable because I was buying these rifles when the were tools not collectibles. Many of the ones I purchased long ago maybe were bought at Kmart and taken deer hunting two years and then stored in a closet for years. with the closing of the original marlin factory the idea of them being tools died. Most of mine are marlins but a few savage browning and Winchester are around.

Had a long conversation with the wife about what was a fine collection of marlin 39a’s and Mounties. I kept many and sold a few but I hate selling good guns. So my collection of 17 39a,s is down to a 39AWS (un shot) a 39d, a 39c a 39a 1940’s era a Mountie 1950’s era and two matching 1980’s versions of 39a and 39m. Trimmed about 10 from the herd. Congrats on those who purchased them from me. she said that 17 of basically the same rifle was to many on New Year’s Day when I had them all out for a yearly cleaning and of course mental health check. I checked myself and unfortunately compromised.
    The profit (well value increase verses inflation) was put into a few other levers. The rest went to debt pay off for interest cuts on house and cars.

I have shot all but the AWS but now the 1980’s 39s and 39m are the one that get shot often as from my testing they seemed to be the most accurate ones of the bunch as I think from the 1960’s to 1989 seemed to be the highest quality of marlins around. I think the new machines of the era and the older craftsmanship was still around giving the best of both worlds gun wise.only a single pre 1964 1982 is in the bunch in 25-20 a saddle ring carbine. The pre 1964’s were already to expensive when I started collecting.

The one my wife came to like most was my marlin 444 outfitter. She asked why I bought it and I told her it was my Bigfoot gun. Two years later for christmas she got me a custom buttcuff with a bigfoot on it.

why the interest now. I don’t know as when I was buying them the bolt action fire was king. The lever was the gun someone who could not afford a bolt hunted with. Maybe that was why I always went the lever action route.

The 444 is one of those great rifles that are a lot of power in a relatively lightweight rifle. I've had one since the 70s and it still gets out to hunt as it's easy to carry and short enough to use in a tree stand. With good hand loads it will kill anything in North America at woods ranges, but mind that scope as it pushes back hard.;)

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Old Marlins like the 1893 can be had for much less than the current cost of the same era Winchester they competed against. They cost even less in obsolete calibers like 32-40 which was the tack driver of it's day and the cases can be easily made from 30-30. They also do very well with cast bullets.

The 1893 was the ancestor of the 336 and they share many of the same parts, so if you are looking for a "been there done that" American Heritage lever gun on a budget check them out.

View attachment 337646
    I like the Marlins and have a:
    1893 takedown in 38-55 made in 1898
    1894 in 25-20 made in 1902
    39A pre micro grove
    336 30-30 unmolested waffle top half mag
    maybe another or two I can't remember at the moment.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like the Marlins and have a:
    1893 takedown in 38-55 made in 1898
    1894 in 25-20 made in 1902
    39A pre micro grove
    336 30-30 unmolested waffle top half mag
    maybe another or two I can't remember at the moment.

25-20 is a caliber that I've never worked with, stopping at 32-20 which I reload quite a lot. I curious, can you describe your experience with it?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For those interested in shooting more modern pointed bullets there is always John Browning's last lever gun design the Winchester 1895. More common in 30-40 and 30-06 it was chambered in progressively larger calibers up to the earth shaking 405 WCF. With modern loading, the 405 is hard on your fingers so wear mechanics gloves and grip the stock tightly. It's another one of those lighter weight high power guns.

Also available in a SRC and T.R. approved.

win1895.jpg Theodore_Roosevelt_in_1909,_beside_a_rhinoceros._Wellcome_L0002108.jpg

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    25-20 is a caliber that I've never worked with, stopping at 32-20 which I reload quite a lot. I curious, can you describe your experience with it?
    I have factory loaded ammo that I have shot but not reloads yet. I've cleaned up the brass, have primers and bullets but have not loaded any yet. I did pick up a box 500 Missouri bullets sized .259 at the Crown Point gun show on Saturday.
    Also have a couple hundred bullets from a Gunbroker guy and an e-mail with stating if I use RCBS cowboy dies I'm
    good to go. If using any other die also use a Lyman "M" die. I first got Lee but then picked up the RCBS.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    For those interested in shooting more modern pointed bullets there is always John Browning's last lever gun design the Winchester 1895. More common in 30-40 and 30-06 it was chambered in progressively larger calibers up to the earth shaking 405 WCF. With modern loading, the 405 is hard on your fingers so wear mechanics gloves and grip the stock tightly. It's another one of those lighter weight high power guns.

Also available in a SRC and T.R. approved.

View attachment 337659 View attachment 337667
    I have a reproduction one in 30-40!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm going to put my flame suit on for a minute here....

I've never found the 1894 Winchester to be a pretty rifle. Henry? Yes. The '73 Winchester? Oh hell yes. It's like the 94 was updated from the 73 to be a better rifle but they forgot to make it look good. Just hard straight lines, no character. And the marlins with their two ports on the right side are just ugly.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have factory loaded ammo that I have shot but not reloads yet. I've cleaned up the brass, have primers and bullets but have not loaded any yet. I did pick up a box 500 Missouri bullets sized .259 at the Crown Point gun show on Saturday.
    Also have a couple hundred bullets from a Gunbroker guy and an e-mail with stating if I use RCBS cowboy dies I'm
    good to go. If using any other die also use a Lyman "M" die. I first got Lee but then picked up the RCBS.

I've had good luck with the RCBS cowboy dies.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I'm going to put my flame suit on for a minute here....

I've never found the 1894 Winchester to be a pretty rifle. Henry? Yes. The '73 Winchester? Oh hell yes. It's like the 94 was updated from the 73 to be a better rifle but they forgot to make it look good. Just hard straight lines, no character. And the marlins with their two ports on the right side are just ugly.

I guess I will put the flame suit on now also. Just as you do not find the Winchester 94 a "pretty" rifle. I find the Henry very unappealing and boxy looking. As an acquaintance of mine put it once "The Henry is the "Jennings" of lever action rifles." Just my opinion.;)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I guess I will put the flame suit on now also. Just as you do not find the Winchester 94 a "pretty" rifle. I find the Henry very unappealing and boxy looking. As an acquaintance of mine put it once "The Henry is the "Jennings" of lever action rifles." Just my opinion.;)
    But Henry was the original. Everyone else wanted to be like Mike ( or Henry in this case).

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The 444 is one of those great rifles that are a lot of power in a relatively lightweight rifle. I've had one since the 70s and it still gets out to hunt as it's easy to carry and short enough to use in a tree stand. With good hand loads it will kill anything in North America at woods ranges, but mind that scope as it pushes back hard.;)

I was presented with a great deal on a 444 back before they were "Indiana deer legal".

I figured, despite the great price, it didn't make sense since I wouldn't be able to ise it for much other than a plinking toy.

What I learned from that experience is "don't be a dumb***."

I still keep my eye out for a great deal. No luck thus far.

Top Bottom