• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Where else can you get the capacity of a single stack with the weight of a double and poor reliability? Flame on.
    Sorry you are don't have the capability to master the 1911. I have never seen the need to carry a high capacity handgun, if I need more than the 9rds in the gun with 1 spare mag, I put myself in a bad situation. Just saying.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I now have 1911s in .17 pellet, .22 LR, .380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, and 10mm. I also have Officer, Commander, and Full Size models. I have yet to find one that I don't just love to shoot. Guess I will just have to keep buying various calibers and models until I find one I don't like.
    Hope you live a very long time!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    7hKXPOhh.jpg

I have to admit I am firmly in the 2011 camp at this point.

When I see double stack 1911s, the song ‘Fat Bottom Girls’ comes to mind :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where else can you get the capacity of a single stack with the weight of a double and poor reliability? Flame on.
    It just never fails that one of you G**** nuts has to step on your package. You just don't get it do you Mr. Tupperware. I don't muddy up your circle jerk plastic model kit gun threads so why do you have to do it here.

So many words I can not use. And up yours about reliability OK.....just stop.

Grow up OK.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is "In Process".
    Started out as a SA loaded.
    Hours and hours later I still have hours to go.
    But that is why I/we labor at this. Spend untold funds on tools/tooling/machines and so on.

I have the sites just need to install them.
    Some final tune work inside.
    View attachment 125262

That is what the video is all about. A celebration of American ideals, design and craftsmanship all rolled into one piece of art.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, thanks, we would have been unable to discuss 1911s without you trolling the thread. 1911s (contrary to your final sentence) have served a defensive purpose for a very long time.

This is INGO. They don’t serve a defensive purpose for me.....is that less offensive?
    You need to stop right now sir.
    I am offended.
    The 1911 has defended this country very successfully for more years than I am old and I am kind of old....:):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don’t get the idea that non-1911 people have regarding the reliability of a 1911. My 1911s have been the most reliable guns I’ve owned. Far better track record than my Glocks. Far, far better. Now, I love my Glocks and when one is running right, it keeps doing so for a long time but there are turds in the Glock punchbowl too.

Maybe it was the early days of 1911s from some manufacturers that gave a bad reputation. Could be that those early guns are floating around out there, continually being sold to frustrated new owners that then sell them and go on to badmouth the design. If a 1911 is built to spec, which most are now days, it will run and run well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don’t get the idea that non-1911 people have regarding the reliability of a 1911. My 1911s have been the most reliable guns I’ve owned. Far better track record than my Glocks. Far, far better. Now, I love my Glocks and when one is running right, it keeps doing so for a long time but there are turds in the Glock punchbowl too.

Maybe it was the early days of 1911s from some manufacturers that gave a bad reputation. Could be that those early guns are floating around out there, continually being sold to frustrated new owners that then sell them and go on to badmouth the design. If a 1911 is built to spec, which most are now days, it will run and run well.
    The well worn out military pieces from battle/training and just soldier induced abuse started this rumor. My Uncles used to laugh about the 1911's they would be trained on that were so worn out hitting much of anything accurately was more luck than skill.

Then came the abominations made to emulate a 1911 by many company's pushing a cheap turd product on the masses. Those POS offerings were the Anti-Christ to the platform.
    That is one advantage the Revel model kit guns have. They are built by the original manf. such as the G****. There are not 20 sub-par company's building turds with that label attached. And a huge group of people looking for a deal to get a 1911. Thats a dice roll at best. And those same people knowing full well you get what you pay for to play in that arena pitch a serious bitch when they buy a turd knowing it may well be a turd when they buy it.

How many threads on Ingo of folks looking for the 1st one asking advice and getting solid responses but in the end they opt out for a cheap imitation.
    Then have trouble with it and get twisted up about it. I have to force myself to get into those threads these days.

Thats where all of this comes from. Then the Tupperware guys use it to solidify their choices. I read all that on Ingo......:):

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    LOVE the video, which in so many ways encapsulates my mentality when it comes to the 1911. The lines, the beauty, the mechanical precision, the craftsmanship. I'd almost put 1911s in a similar category as revolvers and even lever guns with how I came to love the platform. As a new shooter many moons ago (like many), I was drawn to the common polymer options on the market. My mindset at the time was "why would I *ever* want something so pricey that I could own two polymer options with better capacity?". And from a sheer economic perspective that IS a valid mindset. Same with revolvers. Why would such an antiquated design make any sense at all vs. a higher capacity semi-auto polymer? And from that perspective, it doesn't. That is until you shoot a good one. The "watch" analogy is extremely fair from the video as is the general idea that a 1911 (like a revolver) is a metallic work of art with a soul for an enthusiast. The way it feels in my hands. The balance. The beauty of it. The accuracy. The experience of touching off a round with a crisp, almost telepathic trigger. A 1911 is not a compromise between being a tool or a jewel. It's both.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It just never fails that one of you G**** nuts has to step on your package. You just don't get it do you Mr. Tupperware. I don't muddy up your circle jerk plastic model kit gun threads so why do you have to do it here.

So many words I can not use. And up yours about reliability OK.....just stop.

Grow up OK.
    CM.. you know you need to watch your blood pressure :lmfao:I carry a G++++ every day but I managed to make it through a Gunsite class several years about (about 900 rounds) WITH a 45 ACP Nighthawk and WITHOUT a single malfunction. I carry the G++++ because it's lighter, holds more ammo and I believe that a well placed 9mm is just as effective as a 45. 1911s are unique to themselves, G+++++ are VERY reliable and effective but more like a clone.. I have an affinity and appreciation for both. Being able to appreciate multiples for different reasons is an acquired skill that takes years of experience. :D

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I love my Springfield TRP, never a FTF or stovepipe, complete reliability. 20rnd 1911 SS mags are available (even if ridiculous).

For more capacity I have a 92FS.

IMHO Poly guns are not any improvement to firearm design, they are just cheaper, faster to mass manufacture, profit centers. I'll

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yeah, thanks, we would have been unable to discuss 1911s without you trolling the thread. 1911s (contrary to your final sentence) have served a defensive purpose for a very long time.
    I gave him a link about the Delta force using them for years and some still do. So I would think a Delta operator knows what he is taking into combat and trusts it with his life and the lives of his team.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I gave him a link about the Delta force using them for years and some still do. So I would think a Delta operator knows what he is taking into combat and trusts it with his life and the lives of his team.
    I think LAPD Swat carried 1911s, maybe still do.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks so much for posting the video, Expat ! :thumbsup:

I only have (1) 1911 so far. It was touched by Churchmouse, and has some mouse love inside.
    It wears 10,000 year old mammoth tusk grips, purchased from Wilson Combat.

I'll never sell it !

i-dsKQsJ7-XL.jpg

(photo taken during holster break-in, which is why the hammer is down, and magzine removed)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I would like to have a set of grips like that.
    Thanks. Wilson Combat has a guy. He appears once every year, or two, and sells all of his mammoth grips to them. I felt lucky to have found the listing fairly early, and was able to find a set that made me swoon.
    Every (6) months, or so, I wax them with a small amount of carnauba wax.

I have the feeling that mammoth parts (tusks, tooth, bone) will eventually be more restricted than they are now .... and the opportunity to buy anything will disappear.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks so much for posting the video, Expat ! :thumbsup:

I only have (1) 1911 so far. It was touched by Churchmouse, and has some mouse love inside.
    It wears 10,000 year old mammoth tusk grips, purchased from Wilson Combat.

I'll never sell it !

i-dsKQsJ7-XL.jpg

(photo taken during holster break-in, which is why the hammer is down, and magzine removed)
    Is that a 1791 BH1 holster?

Top Bottom