• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your pick for a mid-sized knife for anything from slicing meat to shelter building

• Total voters

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I want to get a new knife soon. I am interested in the ESEE-4 (I wish it had a sharpened pommel) in 1095 steel, the Ontario RAT-3 in D2 steel, or the Ontario RAT-5 in 1095. I like the ESEE-5, but I don't think I want the extra thickness of the blade for slicing tasks.

I would carry this new knife in addition to a small folder and the large RTAK-II

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    For the smaller knife I have a Gerber folding blade. I am thinking about getting the Knives of Alaska Trekker Series - Elk Hunter (D2) for skinning/fine work. I also like the Ontario RAT Model 1 (1095) folder for a small knife.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I would stick with 1095. D2 is a great steel and holds an edge for a long time but is damn near impossible to sharpen in the field unless your carrying around a full set of diamond stones with you.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    brad will vouch that his 5 slices...NOW:):

So does the ESEE 3:rolleyes:

To the OP...I have a ESEE 4&5 which both are great knives. In my car bag I have the 4 while in my camping bag I have the 5. The ESEE 5 is NOT to big and bulky to do the same tasks as the 4 but if you have a chopper already then save yourself a few bucks and get the ESEE 4 and you will be very pleased.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    So does the ESEE 3:rolleyes:

To the OP...I have a ESEE 4&5 which both are great knives. In my car bag I have the 4 while in my camping bag I have the 5. The ESEE 5 is NOT to big and bulky to do the same tasks as the 4 but if you have a chopper already then save yourself a few bucks and get the ESEE 4 and you will be very pleased.
    just watch your fingers, they like to bite :D

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I’ll own some “tyler sharp” soon, thanks to KL and Tyler!

Oh, and to the OP, don’t be a girl, just get the Junglas.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I didn't vote because I am not familiar with any of the knives listed. My choice would be a Marttiini Scandi style...

finn1.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would stick with 1095, for ease of sharpening in the field. As far as the 3, 4, or 5 go, get your hands on all of them and see what fits you the best. I have a izula, hest, machete, 3, 4, 5, and 6, and I tend to use the 6 the most. The 5 has recently grown on me. I really like the drill pivot in the micarta scales on it, the extra heft for chopping, and the kydex holster seems to have much better blade retention as opposed to the ones with a molded one.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Knife lady, you seem to be popular here. Would you say the ESEE-3, 5, and RTAKII would be a great combination? I do like the 4 because of the size.
    But, I also like the RAT-5 because of the flat grind and thinner blade. Also the RAT-5 has a choil. I need to hold one in hand. I may stop by the gun show this weekend that you mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Knife lady, you seem to be popular here. Would you say the ESEE-3, 5, and RTAKII would be a great combination? I do like the 4 because of the size.
    But, I also like the RAT-5 because of the flat grind and thinner blade. Also the RAT-5 has a choil. I need to hold one in hand. I may stop by the gun show this weekend that you mentioned in another thread.

First of all I do not sell the RAT knives from Ontario.

I only sell the ESEE knives made by Rowen. :rockwoot: Yes I would recommend the ESEE 3,4,5, or even the 6. Any ESEE knife will perform nicely for you. Please stop by the show and handle some of them. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom