Which is more common in Indiana -- 270 or 30-06?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    BTW, 150's in a .30-06 aint bad recoil wise.
    And, if a guy wants less windage, and handloads, the 160 and 170 class bullets can be downloaded to drop recoil a little, but retain the benefit of a slicker bullet.

Windage is mostly not a function of speed.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    All good reasoning, so why not the .243? Seems to meet all the criteria plus it’s cheaper.

Just a thought, and I could be mistaken….:dunno:
    .243 is good medicine for most everything in the eastern half of the country for sure. Save maybe the elk in TN, the moose up in the NE, and the bruiser black bears.

Reactions: Mij

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    30-06. And I’m not 55 yet. And if I was just staring out, or had to do it over I’d still be 30-06 guy. You can speed ‘‘em or slow ‘em down, with a hella wide range of bullets. I’d say .300 Win-mag but it unnecessarily savaged me every time pulled the trigger in lightweight rifle So I figured out real quick I’m not a recoil junky. I’ll stick with trusty 30-06.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The Amish have a repulsion toward military things. They banned mustaches after the military allowed them. I have not talked to any old order bishops, but I'll be the 30-06 being a military round may have factored into it.
    Every Amish community has it's own set of marching orders as set by the elders in that community. So every experience may vary. I purchased a nice WW1 Lugar from one of my Amish friends last year and have sold a lot of .30'06 ammo to others.

I have a good Amish friend that shares my last name have me fix his pocket pistol. It was carried for dogs but what would happen if the need arose, who is to say.

On another note, most youngsters think you can make impact craters on the moon with any of the 6.5 ammo. Swiss and Japs were shooting that stuff a century ago but don't try and tell them that. It all comes down to perception and preference. Having confidence in what you are shooting goes a long way toward success. I will shoot them all but I won't jump on the 6.5 bandwagon as I don't want to get into a caliber that may just be a 'flash in the pan' and will burn up a barrel in 1000 shots. Even an M1 Garand barrel will last 5000+ with a modicum of care and I have lots of those...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Every Amish community has it's own set of marching orders as set by the elders in that community. So every experience may vary. I purchased a nice WW1 Lugar from one of my Amish friends last year and have sold a lot of .30'06 ammo to others.

I have a good Amish friend that shares my last name have me fix his pocket pistol. It was carried for dogs but what would happen if the need arose, who is to say.

On another note, most youngsters think you can make impact craters on the moon with any of the 6.5 ammo. Swiss and Japs were shooting that stuff a century ago but don't try and tell them that. It all comes down to perception and preference. Having confidence in what you are shooting goes a long way toward success. I will shoot them all but I won't jump on the 6.5 bandwagon as I don't want to get into a caliber that may just be a 'flash in the pan' and will burn up a barrel in 1000 shots. Even an M1 Garand barrel will last 5000+ with a modicum of care and I have lots of those...
    For 200-300-600 yard target work, I fell in love with the 6.5mm when shooting a 1903 Swedish Mauser. The 6.5 x 55 swede would not fit in a short action model 70, so I bought a reamer and set of dies for a wildcat called 6.5 American, which was based on a .308. Then I replaced it with the .260 Remington which made a fine target rifle but Remington didn't even try to make go. Those were both pretty easy on barrels. It works great for a target gun and the 6.5 bullet BC is a real advantage past 500 or so yards. History shows it was pretty effective for hunting also, not as powerful as a 30-06, but game in the stew pot tastes good.

I built a 6.5 X 284 rifle for open class 1000 yard shooting. It shot way faster and way flatter than the Palma .308. The 6.5 X 284 ate barrels. At about 800-900 shots I would unscrew the barrel, have 2 inches removed from the breach end and have it rechambered. I would be able to get another 800 or so rounds out of it. You have to kind of plan ahead when you turn the barrel from a blank and leave at least 2 extra inches of full diameter on the breach end.

I have always had a 30-06 for general use since I bought my first center fire rifle 50 years ago. Kind of stuck on the caliber for general shooting.

I have never had a 6.5 Creedmore, but it looks like it would work pretty good within its muzzle energy range. Since Remington blew it with the .260, I am glad people are enjoying their Creedmores.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Based on a conversation with a local Hoosier Record Bucks Program Scorer, .270 is far more popular than .30-06, enough so that he commented on it when a friend had him score a buck he killed with his -06. I'm not sure if that is more of an indication of overall popularity or just that people who kill big bucks tend to use .270s.

.243 is good medicine for most everything in the eastern half of the country for sure. Save maybe the elk in TN, the moose up in the NE, and the bruiser black bears.
    The big problem with the .243 and other 6mms is that you need to know a fair amount about bullet selection to get the most out of the caliber for big game hunting. Unfortunately, a lot of people either don't or simply buy the cheapest ammo available and then wound and lose animals when the bullet fails.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Based on a conversation with a local Hoosier Record Bucks Program Scorer, .270 is far more popular than .30-06, enough so that he commented on it when a friend had him score a buck he killed with his -06. I'm not sure if that is more of an indication of overall popularity or just that people who kill big bucks tend to use .270s.

The big problem with the .243 and other 6mms is that you need to know a fair amount about bullet selection to get the most out of the caliber for big game hunting. Unfortunately, a lot of people either don't or simply buy the cheapest ammo available and then wound and lose animals when the bullet fails.
    When my daughter bought her .243, I did some research and settled on the Hornady 100 grain Interlock. I'm darned impressed with it. The first load we tried cloverleafed, so we stopped there. The 58 grain Vmax is a laser! She likes to ring steel at 300 yards with them.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    My deer rifle is .270, I shoot 130 grain Hornady SST with a 56 grains of Hybrid V100 behind them, I think the deer that got the furthest after being shot with it so far went about 50 feet. 100-200 yards I don't worry about adjusting for drop, I've never shot further than 300, it was around 2" drop at 300, still within the size of a deer heart. I originally bought it as a coyote rifle since I lived in a commie state that only allowed shotguns for deer. It's a little overpowered for coyote but not too bad and still more than strong enough for deer so it can serve two purposes. If I could go back 15 years and choose again I'd go with .308 due to cheaper ammo and more platform options, and the government still uses it so it should stay that way til long after they move on from it. I'm already invested in .270 and it doesn't seem worth it to change now though. Also, I'm not 35 yet so I think Mark-DuCo's chart is more like this:

Over 65 - 30-06 (exception of those younger than 65 that appreciate milsurp rifles)
    30-65 - .270
    under 30 - 6.5 Creedmoor (exception of those over 30 who post pics of their rifles on social media or have man buns)

Over 55 - 30-06
    35-55 - .270
    under 35 - 6.5 Creedmoore

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    When my daughter bought her .243, I did some research and settled on the Hornady 100 grain Interlock. I'm darned impressed with it. The first load we tried cloverleafed, so we stopped there. The 58 grain Vmax is a laser! She likes to ring steel at 300 yards with them.
    A buddy of mine shot a Texas buck with the Hornady American Whitetail 85 or 90 grain load from his .243 on one of our trips. The buck only went about 15 yards but the bullet failed to fully penetrate and left no blood trail on the 80 lb. buck. It was a good thing it didn't make out of sight as it would have been very hard to find in the nearly impenetrable cedar thickets surrounding the clearing he shot it in.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indiana specifically, I don't know. Growing up in Michigan, I didn't know a single person with a .270. 30-06 was the thing in my circles.

What's interesting it to go to ammoseek.com, head over to the rifle calibers, and look at the top calibers by frequency of user searches. Surprisingly, .270 isn't in the top 20 (seems kind of weird), while 30-06 is at #7.

Reactions: Leo

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I would say .30-06 probably because it's been around longer?

I would go with .30-06 because you could reload it with the same bullet as .308 Win and .300 Blk
    The casing of the .270 (which began as a necked down .30 caliber) actually predates the .30'06 by three years, but Winchester added it to their providings in 1925, but it was a wildcat for a time before that.

Interesting history some of these rounds have...

Top Bottom