Which is more common in Indiana -- 270 or 30-06?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm going to say it probably breaks down to age groups from my experience.

Over 55 - 30-06
    35-55 - .270
    under 35 - 6.5 Creedmoore

lol. This could be very true.
    I really don’t think so.

If anybody wants not to read the following, then I’ll boil it down: the cited 55+ year old isn’t as old as you think.

Consider that that 55-year-old wasn’t born until 1968. By their birth, even the “new” .270 Winchester was already well older than their parents: it had been 43 years since its introduction as a factory chambering. Jack O’Connor--arguably a greater force for the .270’s success than was Winchester theyselfs—retired from Outdoor life before that 55 year old’s 5th birthday, then died (and stopped writing) before most of them were 10.

The .30-06 was already old by that point, and was no longer the US Military Complex’ round of choice: the M14 was adopted in 1957, and even it had already been supplanted by the 5.56x45-chambered M16 4 years before the 55-year old was born. .30-06 continued with some non-hunting loyalty for several years, but even in competitive circles (people very comfortable with the esoteric), it was basically out of the game by the 1980’s, if not sooner.

I mention all that history of the .30-06 as a reference that your average Gen X shooter (1965-1982/3) not only never served under an -06 chambered rifle, they also had begun to see some downturn in its perception as a cutting-edge cartridge, and saw a known-reduction in the availability of cheap military surplus ball ammo.
    It was, by the time they were of any buying power, “the shell in grandpa’s old rifle”.

Meanwhile, faster and flatter (and simply more numerous) options like the (.244)/6mm Rem (1955), .243 Winchester (1955), .308 Winchester (1952-ish), .300 Win Mag (1963), 7mm Remington Mag (1962), 7mm-08 Remington (1980), were cutting edge, and coming into their own in market share and gun-tabloid articles during the formative years of your Gen X kids.

The debate over whether any of the above can kill deer deader than a .30-06 or .270—or any other relatively fast, small-to-medium bore cartridge, from .220 Swift through .375 H&H—is a worthwhile use of time only if you enjoy arguing over the subjective.

My point is not that the hunting community always tried to be at the cutting edge—if they did, the .30-30 would have died in 1906—but that we can and are influenced into trying new things, even if it’s years later than other shooting groups perceived and/or realized the benefits of a new approach.

By now, the Gen X hunter has "seen some sh**", and has probably been inundated with information long enough that they have at least fired--if not hunted with--something more modern than .30-06.

My opinion as a die-hard steel plate .30-06 fan is that the average deer hunter of the past 30-40 years, with average shooting ability chooses something else, if it is perceived to kill deer as well as .30-06 and .270, but does so in lighter, shorter rifles, without as much recoil and blast.

If you want to see evidence for that, you need go no further than the 6.5 Creedmoor--which as a cartridge, does nothing new--but may become an historic benchmark of successful promotion across nearly all demographics of the rifle-shooting public.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I really don’t think so.

If anybody wants not to read the following, then I’ll boil it down: the cited 55+ year old isn’t as old as you think.

Consider that that 55-year-old wasn’t born until 1968. By their birth, even the “new” .270 Winchester was already well older than their parents: it had been 43 years since its introduction as a factory chambering. Jack O’Connor--arguably a greater force for the .270’s success than was Winchester theyselfs—retired from Outdoor life before that 55 year old’s 5th birthday, then died (and stopped writing) before most of them were 10.

The .30-06 was already old by that point, and was no longer the US Military Complex’ round of choice: the M14 was adopted in 1957, and even it had already been supplanted by the 5.56x45-chambered M16 4 years before the 55-year old was born. .30-06 continued with some non-hunting loyalty for several years, but even in competitive circles (people very comfortable with the esoteric), it was basically out of the game by the 1980’s, if not sooner.

I mention all that history of the .30-06 as a reference that your average Gen X shooter (1965-1982/3) not only never served under an -06 chambered rifle, they also had begun to see some downturn in its perception as a cutting-edge cartridge, and saw a known-reduction in the availability of cheap military surplus ball ammo.
    It was, by the time they were of any buying power, “the shell in grandpa’s old rifle”.

Meanwhile, faster and flatter (and simply more numerous) options like the (.244)/6mm Rem (1955), .243 Winchester (1955), .308 Winchester (1952-ish), .300 Win Mag (1963), 7mm Remington Mag (1962), 7mm-08 Remington (1980), were cutting edge, and coming into their own in market share and gun-tabloid articles during the formative years of your Gen X kids.

The debate over whether any of the above can kill deer deader than a .30-06 or .270—or any other relatively fast, small-to-medium bore cartridge, from .220 Swift through .375 H&H—is a worthwhile use of time only if you enjoy arguing over the subjective.

My point is not that the hunting community always tried to be at the cutting edge—if they did, the .30-30 would have died in 1906—but that we can and are influenced into trying new things, even if it’s years later than other shooting groups perceived and/or realized the benefits of a new approach.

By now, the Gen X hunter has "seen some sh**", and has probably been inundated with information long enough that they have at least fired--if not hunted with--something more modern than .30-06.

My opinion as a die-hard steel plate .30-06 fan is that the average deer hunter of the past 30-40 years, with average shooting ability chooses something else, if it is perceived to kill deer as well as .30-06 and .270, but does so in lighter, shorter rifles, without as much recoil and blast.

If you want to see evidence for that, you need go no further than the 6.5 Creedmoor--which as a cartridge, does nothing new--but may become an historic benchmark of successful promotion across nearly all demographics of the rifle-shooting public.
    I'm just going off what I see, certainly not saying it is a fact or that it means one is better than the other. Probably should adjust the age older age to 65 instead of 55. Most people I know around my grandparents age chose the 30-06. Most people I know around my parents age chose the .270, and most people I know around my age are choosing the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Personally for just deer hunting, I think they are both more than what is needed. I don't even use the 6.5 Creedmoor that I won last year. I prefer to use my 6.5 Grendel AR.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have both and use both at times.

With all the hills in southern Indiana the .270 is great because almost all of your shots are >200 yards. With the .270 you can sight it at 100 and use the same hold point at 200 and get a kill. The .30-06 will need a little fudge factor but still gets the job done.

Either one will kill them graveyard dead...

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Big .270 fan here! I've been hunting with a .270 for 18+ years and I've never had a deer go more than 20 yards after shot. 90% of them are DRT. I shoot Winchester 150gr Power Points out of mine. Best shot (luckiest) I've ever had was a buck at 175 yard dead run and dropped him in his tracks, couple tumbles and that was it. My dad and grandpa have always used .270 and turned me on to it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I hunt with a .270 also. Two now, actually. My son has my dad's. I see more .270 and 7mm mags than .30-06 in Michigan where I'm at.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    30-06 - several
    270 - 0

The Amish around here like the 270 though. Some English guy told them years ago that was the "one" to get. So now they ALL get 270s.
    The Amish have a repulsion toward military things. They banned mustaches after the military allowed them. I have not talked to any old order bishops, but I'll be the 30-06 being a military round may have factored into it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I confess to being born old, so 30-06 is my preferred big bore. As a reloader, many different bullets are easy to find. 110 grn pip squeeks all the way up to 190. I know people who have throated their '06 rifles to do pretty good with 240 grain thumpers. Wildcat lovers made .22, .25, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm versions of the 30-06 round. Target and hunting, a good time was had by all.

I remember reading all the articles in Guns and Ammo and other magazines speaking almost magical performance through the opinions by Jack O'Connor. He did shoot some pretty impressive game with the .270. I have not tried reloading a .270 for years, when the only friend that had one sold his. Bullet selection was pretty limited and they were hard to get. I did not hate it, it was just never for me.

30-06 is probably a better selling caliber by multiple factors.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I really don’t think so.

Man, that was well written. I’m in the 55 range and have both and others but if I had to pick I’m using. .270 it’s close to the 6.5 but for me I’m an average shot and haven’t shot any farther than 400 yards. My twenty five year old nephew got a 6.5 and the first thing he said was it will shoot a thousand yards. I replied, so will all of my rifles, I’m not capable of that are you? I think the marketing side of an obviously great round instilled a bit of over confidence in some of the masses.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Rifle type (for me) may be more important than cartridge.

Nasty but cool, a Remington 760 carbine.
    Dont think they ever did one in .270 win
    Oh, yes they did! I have shot one and handled a couple more. One uncle had a 760 in 06 that was a functional single shot. Another, that actually cleaned his rifle, had a .270. Used to see them in 06 and .270 but not so much anymore. You can almost bet that if it is made in 06, it's made in .270 and vice versa.

EDIT: The 06 was a 7600.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Amish have a repulsion toward military things. They banned mustaches after the military allowed them. I have not talked to any old order bishops, but I'll bet the 30-06 being a military round may have factored into it.
    At least in the Amish communities of SW Indiana. I discussed it directly with THEM. "Why the 270?" It isn't the ONLY caliber they use, it is just common enough for me to notice.

The bishop determines what they should use or rather NOT use. They do not own handguns in this area.

Reactions: Leo

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    What do you already have? Do you have a stashe of .30-06 already? If so - then get one of those.

If not...then why beat yourself up unnecessarily with a .30-06 when a more modern cartridge will literally do the same exact things, balistically speaking, with less recoil?

Do you already have .270 Win ammo stockpiled? If so - then get one of those.

If not - then there are more modern cartridges that will literally do the same exact things, ballistically speaking, but in a shorter (lighter) action?

That said, the both of the above are tried and true cartridges. Both of them will take almost every single game species on this continent - though the .270 may be a tad light for moose and brown bear.

For my $, though, If I were starting out from scratch, I'd pick 6.5CM over both of the above due to shorter action, ballistic efficiency of the cartridge/bullet, and less-stout recoil of the .06 and .308.
    Wussy!:stickpoke:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    What do you already have? Do you have a stashe of .30-06 already? If so - then get one of those.

If not...then why beat yourself up unnecessarily with a .30-06 when a more modern cartridge will literally do the same exact things, balistically speaking, with less recoil?

Do you already have .270 Win ammo stockpiled? If so - then get one of those.

If not - then there are more modern cartridges that will literally do the same exact things, ballistically speaking, but in a shorter (lighter) action?

That said, the both of the above are tried and true cartridges. Both of them will take almost every single game species on this continent - though the .270 may be a tad light for moose and brown bear.

For my $, though, If I were starting out from scratch, I'd pick 6.5CM over both of the above due to shorter action, ballistic efficiency of the cartridge/bullet, and less-stout recoil of the .06 and .308.
    All good reasoning, so why not the .243? Seems to meet all the criteria plus it’s cheaper.

Just a thought, and I could be mistaken….:dunno:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh, yes they did! I have shot one and handled a couple more. One uncle had a 760 in 06 that was a functional single shot. Another, that actually cleaned his rifle, had a .270. Used to see them in 06 and .270 but not so much anymore. You can almost bet that if it is made in 06, it's made in .270 and vice versa.

EDIT: The 06 was a 7600.

Checked Remington society, indeed some oldies were .270 win in carbine form

Also, some special run Wholesaler models could be had in carbine.

Top Bottom