• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yes, I know I could Google this but it may spark a more interesting discussion by asking here.

What choke do military shotguns employ? Assuming 00 Buck as the load?

And Go.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Cylinder or improved cylinder.

If you're asking what gets the best patterns with 00 buck, it can do pretty good with just about any choke contrary to popular internet opinion. I picked up a ported full choke and tried some 00 at 25 yards and was able to get an 8" pattern out of it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Cylinder or improved cylinder.

If you're asking what gets the best patterns with 00 buck, it can do pretty good with just about any choke contrary to popular internet opinion. I picked up a ported full choke and tried some 00 at 25 yards and was able to get an 8" pattern out of it.
    This is the direction I was headed with the follow up question - at what point does it no longer matter? That size pattern I would think would stop any threat that wasn't vested.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This is the direction I was headed with the follow up question - at what point does it no longer matter? That size pattern I would think would stop any threat that wasn't vested.

You can do ridiculous things with shotguns, chokes, and load selections. You can push a practical and useful pattern far further than it'd ever be effective enough on target.

The question is, ultimately, at what distance are you wanting to stop potential threats with a shotgun? 50 yards is doable for 00 buck, but the effect on target isn't going to be very impressive anymore. You can easily get reliable hits on target to 70 and beyond, but the pellets aren't carrying much energy.

If you're wanting to stay within the effective range for maximum terminal effect, about 25-30 yards is really where you want to cut it off. And you don't need a trick choke to get a torso sized group at 25-30 yards.

If you want a do-all choke, throw in a light modified or improved cylinder and call it a day. You can still run normal rifled slugs through those chokes, so if you do want to reach out, you aren't sweating about potentially damaging a choke.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If you're wanting to stay within the effective range for maximum terminal effect, about 25-30 yards is really where you want to cut it off. And you don't need a trick choke to get a torso sized group at 25-30 yards.

If you want a do-all choke, throw in a light modified or improved cylinder and call it a day. You can still run normal rifled slugs through those chokes, so if you do want to reach out, you aren't sweating about potentially damaging a choke.

After taking your input and advice from JMGunsmithing Indianagunowners.com I decided on an IMP CYL choke. It should more than accomplish the task I have assigned it. :patriot:

011b.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice looking shotgun, cylinder would have been my answer as well. I know in the Vietnam conflict that the government experimented with shot diverters, the idea was to make more of a horizontal oval pattern rather than circular. Don't know how effective they were, only saw pictures.

That gun should do fine with slugs, as well as shot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nice looking shotgun, cylinder would have been my answer as well. I know in the Vietnam conflict that the government experimented with shot diverters, the idea was to make more of a horizontal oval pattern rather than circular. Don't know how effective they were, only saw pictures.

That gun should do fine with slugs, as well as shot.

Diverters work, especially later designs.
    There's a caveat though, you need to use #4 buck or smaller to have it work optimally.
    And you absolutely don't want to run slugs through them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The most important thing is to take your shotgun out and pattern it at a couple distances so you know what to expect.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm not a shotgun shooter. Don't own one. Was reading through this thread and was wondering if you could use Turkey choke with 00 or 000 buckshot? How would that turn out? To tight? Or would it help it hold a tight pattern out to 50 yards?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I know in the Vietnam conflict that the government experimented with shot diverters, the idea was to make more of a horizontal oval pattern rather than circular. Don't know how effective they were, only saw pictures.
    They were generally called "duckbill spreaders" because they looked sort of like a duckbill on the end of the shotgun. Sadly, I've only seen them as cut up and rusted scrap. I think some small company either was, or was trying, to make some reproductions of them back in the 90s. I don't think they ever really got going with them and it seems like that company was in or around the Boonville, IN area.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm not a shotgun shooter. Don't own one. Was reading through this thread and was wondering if you could use Turkey choke with 00 or 000 buckshot? How would that turn out? To tight? Or would it help it hold a tight pattern out to 50 yards?
    Likely to blow the choke out of the end of the shotgun. Some Turkey and goose chokes have warnings on them about maximum pellet size.

Top Bottom