• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Is the Mark II a good gun to learn how to disassemble/clean? I want to learn as much as possible with my first gun, so that way I will be prepared for my next one!

Cleaning follows the same general process for pretty much all pistols. There are plenty of YouTube videos on that.

Assembly/disassembly is slightly different for every firearm, so you need to follow the instructions specific to that model. Disassembly is okay, but the one big negative to the Ruger Mk? is the reassembly process. Some people claim it is simple, but there are plenty who have problems. It took me 2 hours to get the back strap in the first time I did it. It gets easier with repetition, but unfortunately when you are most inexperienced is also when the gun is tightest and hardest to reassemble. YouTube and the instruction manual can help you with both assembly and disassembly.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Honestly, the disassembly/reassembly process for a firearm never factors into my purchase. Just learn how to disassemble/reassemble it. It's not that big of a deal.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I handled almost every gun that has been recommended on this thread today at my LGS. SR22, P22, M&P22, GSG1911-22, 22/45, Mark III...and I liked every single one of them. The SR22 and P22 were smaller than I was expecting, and considering my large hands, they looked kind of funny in my hands. Even with the size disadvantage, the SR22 felt really good, and I would definitely like to own one at the right price. The M&P22 felt awesome, and I really like how solid it was, and it would be great for practicing for larger calibers. The GSG 1911-22 also felt amazing in my hands, and I really enjoyed the grip safety. The 22/45 felt similar to my dad's Mark II, and I figured if I'm going to use a target gun like that, I might as well use the one that is sitting at home not getting used...

I found a 1911-22 online for $270, and a M&P22 for $330, and I'm thinking one of these two is what I'm going to end up with. I'm really enjoying the responses on here, keep it up. I'll probably use this thread for a future purchase as well :):

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    When I had a similar decision to make, the Ruger SR22 had recently come out. I went with the SR22 over the Walther P22 because I liked the SR22's more standard magazine release and I found the thumb safety to be easier to manipulate over the P22's. I also contemplated a Ruger Mark II/III, but I've heard stories about the difficulties of disassembly and cleaning for the Mark II/III pistols.

The SR22 has been a great gun for me. It'll shoot anything it's fed, it's easy to use, and easy to clean.
    This.

I love my SR22T as well. It is super easy to take down and clean, especially compared to a MkIII. (Buying a bore snake was a huge win too for good and quick cleaning) It is not as easy to shoot accurately like my FIL's 6.88" barrel MkIII hunter... but the barrel is almost half as long. (Plus I dig his HiViz sights.... I expect those will eventually come out for the SR22...) I was looking at the P22 as well but felt like a cheap toy and the mag release is just terrible. Also, the ever-so-tiny increase in size of the SR22 made it feel better in my hands. The MkIII magazine is hard to insert compared to the SR22, it gets hung up for some reason some times for me.

My SR22 choked on Federal Premium Gold Medal Target - like FTF on at least half the 25 rounds I shot and twice had to use a cleaning rod to remove a spent casing. I ended up giving up even before I finished the third magazine since I was pulling the slide back every round. However, these cartridges fired perfectly in the MkIII. Other standard velocity work fine, whether Eley or CCI. Everything else fired fine, outside of some FTFs with dirty, dirty Thunderbolts. I like to shoot Mini-Mag and Velocitor primarily.

btw, 13 round magazine with this may be a plus too: SR22 Performance Parts | Galloway Precision

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Of those three, I think I would recommend the Ruger Mark III (or your dad's Mark II). Outside of those you have asked about, I would recommend the GSG 1911-22.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The Mark III is a tack driver and is available in 22-45 with a different grip angle. The GSG 1911-22 is a good choice as well. They both come with threaded barrel option if you should want that.

Top Bottom