• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm currently in west central Texas and on the drive down I noticed how low the Mississippi river is. I've read news stories about it so I wasn't surprised to see it but it got me thinking during the long drive. I've also read stories recently about the Colorado river drying up, the Euphrates river drying up, the Jordan river drying up and the Nile river drying up.

Hmmmm, that's a lot of water seemingly "missing". We've been told for decades now that the thawing of the polar ice caps was going to raise ocean levels which would undoubtedly result in more water everywhere. As far as I know our atmosphere doesn't allow water to drift through it into space so its got to be going somewhere.

Anyone clued in on the mystery?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm currently in west central Texas and on the drive down I noticed how low the Mississippi river is. I've read news stories about it so I wasn't surprised to see it but it got me thinking during the long drive. I've also read stories recently about the Colorado river drying up, the Euphrates river drying up, the Jordan river drying up and the Nile river drying up.

Hmmmm, that's a lot of water seemingly "missing". We've been told for decades now that the thawing of the polar ice caps was going to raise ocean levels which would undoubtedly result in more water everywhere. As far as I know our atmosphere doesn't allow water to drift through it into space so its got to be going somewhere.

Some areas have had record flooding, so the water went there I suppose.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Some areas have had record flooding, so the water went there I suppose.
    The amount of water we're talking about between the four rivers combined is enormous, if it had all been redirected into flooding other areas I believe it would be very apparent.

Just had the thought that maybe this is a northern hemisphere problem so I checked on the Amazon river. Nope, it's at its lowest point in 120 years as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The amount of water we're talking about between the four rivers combined is enormous, if it had all been redirected into flooding other areas it would be very apparent.

Just had the thought that maybe this is a northern hemisphere problem so I checked on the Amazon river. Nope, it's at its lowest point in 120 years as well.
    Well, it was very apparent to the flooded areas. ;) But it doesn't mean that all of it went to flooding. Some would probably be spread out to other areas that just had higher than normal rainfall.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, it was very apparent to the flooded areas. ;) But it doesn't mean that all of it went to flooding. Some would probably be spread out to other areas that just had higher than normal rainfall.
    I don't think you're understanding the amount of water we're talking about. If it were simply being redirected to flooding we would know about it as the flooding would be like nothing seen in recent history. Fresh water only makes up 3% of the total water on the planet. The amount of that 3% which is currently unaccounted for is staggering.

They are already making low rumblings about the coming global fresh water crisis. This is something you can expect to hear more about on a more regular basis.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Underground. That's where most non-glacier fresh water is to begin with.

Dry ground absorbs more water. Low aquifers result in dry ground. We're draining aquifers. Water goes underground. The total amount of water is samey-same, but distribution isn't. Springs dry up as the water table drops (ask anyone who's had to re-dig a well deeper...) Less water is evaporated to turn to snow to turn to run off to feed rivers, etc. Less surface water means lower lakes, rivers, etc.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Ocean levels are rising-that water came from somewhere. As we use more and more potable water and develop more an more areas, less fresh water is available in groundwater/aquifers/underground rives/etc. because we either use, treat, and dump it or the storm water runoff bypasses everything and goes directly to a creek/river which carries it to the ocean. Over time, this will shift the water from freshwater storage areas to the oceans. We will also see less rain as there is less to evaporate into the atmosphere, which accelerates the issue.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Over time, this will shift the water from freshwater storage areas to the oceans. We will also see less rain as there is less to evaporate into the atmosphere, which accelerates the issue.
    Most of the atmospheric moisture in the form of clouds and rain comes from the oceans to begin with. The relatively small amount of freshwater on land will not drastically affect how much rain there is.

Cycles of rain and drought are mostly driven by the ocean currents, and the El Niño/La Niña cycles (the movement of temperature gradients).

Top Bottom