Where to start with a home business gun store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have no basis upon which to talk. I am a gun guy that tries to help other gun guys. I am the gun doctor to two Amish communities, all I have to say is if you can pick your clients you are way ahead of the game.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I have no basis upon which to talk. I am a gun guy that tries to help other gun guys. I am the gun doctor to two Amish communities, all I have to say is if you can pick your clients you are way ahead of the game.
    Pick your clients as in know who I will sell to? I feel like that's the whole point. To meet new contacts throughout the journey. I have large family and friend group who would benefit immediately from me becoming a dealer but I plan to open to the public on an appointment basis.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Yes, but it only takes one second cousin one and a half times removed to say to a friend, "I am related to a FFL that could do that for you..." to get on the ATF's radar. These people are not there to keep you in business nor do they see them as resources to your business. They see themselves as adversaries, plain and simple, and kitchen FFL's are what they hate the most...

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I'm confused. I'm almost positive it's completely legal to operate a firearm store out of your home. What is your point exactly? I may be misunderstanding

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Yes, but it only takes one second cousin one and a half times removed to say to a friend, "I am related to a FFL that could do that for you..." to get on the ATF's radar. These people are not there to keep you in business nor do they see them as resources to your business. They see themselves as adversaries, plain and simple, and kitchen FFL's are what they hate the most...
    See above reply

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Legal is one thing. Government agents that don't like your business is another. First requirement in my book is a valid FFL. Second is protecting that FFL. It doesn't matter what you do in life there will always be a bully somewhere. Dot your eyes and cross your tees. Enjoy your dream as long as you stay lucid and keep your eyes open.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Can you refer directly to what he is speaking of? What is the potential issue for getting firearms for family friends? If you go about creating a legal entity what are the issues that can bring it out of legality?

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Legal is one thing. Government agents that don't like your business is another. First requirement in my book is a valid FFL. Second is protecting that FFL. It doesn't matter what you do in life there will always be a bully somewhere. Dot your eyes and cross your tees. Enjoy your dream as long as you stay lucid and keep your eyes open.
    Please refer to the above reply

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I did not imply it would become illegal, just that people running their mouths and exagerating what you can do could catch the ear of someone in the government that doesn't agree with your rights to the point they may try to cause problems. Next you would have a new buddy trying to get you to sidestep some technicality. I have had someone I knew that was involved in "illegal" activity, contact me asking for an illegal favor. The agency had them in a bind and they were trying to save their own bacon. I was and am not mad at them. Duress is something some people can't handle. Like I said, "eyes open".

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Can you refer directly to what he is speaking of? What is the potential issue for getting firearms for family friends? If you go about creating a legal entity what are the issues that can bring it out of legality?
    If you think the local ATF gets a notice of a new FFL in the area and says, "Oh, nothing to worry about, just someone providing a service to family and friends..." then you will need medication before this is over. They will make crap up on the spot. They will make a personal call back to the office to get ideas of what crap to make up. They will show up to your house to check your books a 3am. The amount of info on a hang tag can get you a 'noncompliant'. It is not a level playing surface and they see their job as taking your footing out from underneath you. In my world we call it 'crippled chicken'. Chickens can't swim but they push the crippled ones into the deep water...

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville

I believe what he is saying is be extremely cautious. Helping out a family members friends, friend should be done cautiously, above board, and well documented. No "special" favors. Everything in order and clean, clear, concise, per the lOK. Treat the family friends friend as an unknown person (general customer).

The ATF is not your friend, if you get on their radar (and you will) they will look for a reason to visit. Legal and by the book, you'll be ok.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I did not imply it would become illegal, just that people running their mouths and exagerating what you can do could catch the ear of someone in the government that doesn't agree with your rights to the point they may try to cause problems. Next you would have a new buddy trying to get you to sidestep some technicality. I have had someone I knew that was involved in "illegal" activity, contact me asking for an illegal favor. The agency had them in a bind and they were trying to save their own bacon. I was and am not mad at them. Duress is something some people can't handle. Like I said, "eyes open".
    I understand what you mean. I also have operated 3 other home businesses successfully. I know how to follow the rules. I am also not here to become rich. I want to become enriched in the culture and gain as much wisdom as possible. I have strong ethical guidelines that prevent me from steering off the path.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    If you think the local ATF gets a notice of a new FFL in the area and says, "Oh, nothing to worry about, just someone providing a service to family and friends..." then you will need medication before this is over. They will make crap up on the spot. They will make a personal call back to the office to get ideas of what crap to make up. They will show up to your house to check your books a 3am. The amount of info on a hang tag can get you a 'noncompliant'. It is not a level playing surface and they see their job as taking your footing out from underneath you. In my world we call it 'crippled chicken'. Chickens can't swim but they push the crippled ones into the deep water...
    Do you have an FFL?

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I believe what he is saying is be extremely cautious. Helping out a family members friends, friend should be done cautiously, above board, and well documented. No "special" favors. Everything in order and clean, clear, concise, per the law.
    I couldn't agree more and I wouldnt want it any other way. Like o said earlier. Not here to get rich. I just want to be a bigger part of something that I have loved my whole life. I look forward to all of the advice.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The first hurdle is local zoning laws. Make sure the local zoning does not prohibit the business you are starting.
    On the federal firearm license application one question specifically asks if your business complies with zoning ordnances for the property.

Reactions: Leo

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    The first hurdle is local zoning laws. Make sure the local zoning does not prohibit the business you are starting.
    On the federal firearm license application one question specifically asks if your business complies with zoning ordnances for the property.
    This is exactly what shut me down last time. Marion county has strict policies against home businesses and while some might skirt the law, a firearm store definently won't fly. I appreciate your input and if you know any resources in guidance of this please share.

Top Bottom