Where to start with a home business gun store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    If it were me , I would definitely contact an attorney to draw up ownership details that separates and protects your personal property and assets . I would assume there is a huge Liability risk with a gun shop ?
    Though I believe there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum , I wouldn`t count on " Some guy on INGO said it was OK" as a defense for a violation .

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    If it were me , I would definitely contact an attorney to draw up ownership details that separates and protects your personal property and assets . I would assume there is a huge Liability risk with a gun shop ?
    Though I believe there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum , I wouldn`t count on " Some guy on INGO said it was OK" as a defense for a violation .
    I agree that due diligence will have to be met. I plan to talk directly to multiple FFL holders before making the jump. As far as liability, I believe you would just need a second insurance policy covering the business portion. Basically, the guidelines tell you that the home office has to have it's own door and a locking system with an additional safe that's compatible with what is being offered for sale.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never tried to be an FFL firearms seller, but I did try to go into the reloading business. I lived inside the city limits. Two big hurdles I saw no way of battling and still make any money.

1) Zoning. Anyplace that is zoned residential will not allow a retail establishment. Women with hair care, and clothing clubs seem to get by with it if they keep it down low. Since theirs is a pretty much un monitored business, they get can stay under the radar. Car flippers that are careful about storing inventory get by unless the revenue service thinks they are cheating taxes. Pretty hard to stay under the radar in a business that can be federally inspected without notice. For me, quantities of powder also put me on the fire marshals list.

2) Insurance. If your property insurance investigator finds that you have a firearm business in your home, they will initiate changes that you will not like. Even if you wanted to pay the price, including the required security measures, they would not write a policy for the property of an illegal firearms business. If you have a mortgage, the bank gets really cranky if you do not maintain insurance that protects their asset. Pretty sure the mortgages terms ad conditions spell out the business is forbidden. That could initiate a foreclosure or demand of complete payment. If If you own the property outright, you are the only one taking a risk. Be warned, there are people that look to legally rob people in court and lawyers willing to back them up. You would be a sitting duck.

Some hobbies that seem like they could be a fun side business, are better off remaining hobbies.

Pay to talk to a good business lawyer, it might be the smartest $250 you ever spend.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    My whole point was that I am now in a better place in life and my current county allows home firearm busineses. I am in the clear there. But tell me more about the powder issue you had? I will not try to skirt the law to make a buck. I just want to invest myself into something that I truly enjoy doing. I already spend countless hours researching and talking with others. This just seems like a logical step for myself. I appreciate your concern but I am not trying to create and illegal business or get it insured illegally. I am in a legal county for home businesses.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    The first hurdle is local zoning laws. Make sure the local zoning does not prohibit the business you are starting.
    On the federal firearm license application one question specifically asks if your business complies with zoning ordnances for the property.

This would be the first step. Also, there is a differnce if you are going to maintain inventory and run a retail business than if you are going to only do transfers.

I recently went to a home based gun shop and the shop was located in the persons basement. I was asked to lift up my shirt and told no carrying is allowed. I didn't have a problem with that, others might. Then I walled through the person's house to get to the shop. Looked around for a while and left. I personally would not want to operate such a business in the house I live in. And there were only 2 people allowed in at once.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    My whole point was that I am now in a better place in life and my current county allows home firearm busineses. I am in the clear there. But tell me more about the powder issue you had? I will not try to skirt the law to make a buck. I just want to invest myself into something that I truly enjoy doing. I already spend countless hours researching and talking with others. This just seems like a logical step for myself. I appreciate your concern but I am not trying to create and illegal business or get it insured illegally. I am in a legal county for home businesses.
    I think you might be missing the points.
    Just because your county allows something, doesn't mean your zoning dept. will, or your mortgage lender, or your insurance company, etc. Even if you get clearance through your lender, and you can convince the zoning dept. to modify your zoning, the insurance co. will certainly make it difficult to comply, or even afford.
    Then there's the business license, which I'm sure will get unwanted attention.
    In the end, it might cost more not getting rich, than it's really worth.
    JMO

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    This would be the first step. Also, there is a differnce if you are going to maintain inventory and run a retail business than if you are going to only do transfers.

I recently went to a home based gun shop and the shop was located in the persons basement. I was asked to lift up my shirt and told no carrying is allowed. I didn't have a problem with that, others might. Then I walled through the person's house to get to the shop. Looked around for a while and left. I personally would not want to operate such a business in the house I live in. And there were only 2 people allowed in at once.
    Yeah. No thank you. I want to do an online shop and focus on stimulating cheap purchases. I have said a few times that I don't really care to get rich on this. I just want to learn and grow. I would mainly just purchase from estate sales and other wholesale offers and resell them completely online.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I think you might be missing the points.
    Just because your county allows something, doesn't mean your zoning dept. will, or your mortgage lender, or your insurance company, etc. Even if you get clearance through your lender, and you can convince the zoning dept. to modify your zoning, the insurance co. will certainly make it difficult to comply, or even afford.
    Then there's the business license, which I'm sure will get unwanted attention.
    In the end, it might cost more not getting rich, than it's really worth.
    JMO
    I agree. This is just your opinion. Thanks!

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Yeah. No thank you. I want to do an online shop and focus on stimulating cheap purchases. I have said a few times that I don't really care to get rich on this. I just want to learn and grow. I would mainly just purchase from estate sales and other wholesale offers and resell them completely online.

Yeah, that makes sense and seems like the way to go.

I heard from my sisters husband's brothers girlfriends cousin that it was difficult to obtain an ffl for non- retail businesses these days. But that could be a myth, I haven't done any research on that.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, that makes sense and seems like the way to go.

I heard from my sisters husband's brothers girlfriends cousin that it was difficult to obtain an ffl for non- retail businesses these days. But that could be a myth, I haven't done any research on that.
    That could be true, but I would think in today's economy an online shop would generate more interest than a brick in mortar. Especially one that is able to reach other areas of the country with its content. I would like to get into making YouTube how to videos as well. I have so many hobbies. I feel I should share my own personal experiences.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    At this point I dont think you'll be back here you got your 50 and already looking at the rules for posting an ad.
    Am I not allowed? I am looking to buy an m17 or m18. Just trying to find the best deal possible. Plus, this is a new forum to me. I didn't even know it was real site and I have lived in indiana my whole life. I have a strong presence in other forums on reddit. I plan to stick around and continue to drop my opinions! Thanks for the reply

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Am I not allowed? I am looking to buy an m17 or m18. Just trying to find the best deal possible. Plus, this is a new forum to me. I didn't even know it was real site and I have lived in indiana my whole life. I have a strong presence in other forums on reddit. I plan to stick around and continue to drop my opinions! Thanks for the reply

A clearer picture emerges...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Every comment you have made so far was snobbish. I'm entitled to an opinion. If you guys want to attack that's your right. If you dislike reddit, what do you like?

I agree. This is just your opinion. Thanks!

So you haven't contacted jeephammer yet?

I like long walks in the park.

Pants optional.

Top Bottom