Where to start with a home business gun store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am also not here to become rich. I want to become enriched in the culture and gain as much wisdom as possible.
    Getting into a business with the goal of gaining wisdom sounds like a recipe for going broke. Just ask anyone that says, "I hang out at bars a lot. I'd like to open my own."

But you're here asking questions and it seems like you plan to do the research, so that's a good start.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Getting into a business with the goal of gaining wisdom sounds like a recipe for going broke. Just ask anyone that says, "I hang out at bars a lot. I'd like to open my own."

But you're here asking questions and it seems like you plan to do the research, so that's a good start.
    Bars and guns are two different poisons. Imo guns are an investment. To start a bar you need a large amount of capital or a personal loan. For a small online firearm store I will hopefully be able to upstart with a basic credit card and my personal credit as a backer. I definitely don't won't to go broke over it though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ultimately you're going to have to go through the BATFE to apply for your license. Have you looked into the requirements for an FFL 01 yet?

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Ultimately you're going to have to go through the BATFE to apply for your license. Have you looked into the requirements for an FFL 01 yet?

I did about two years ago. I did a lot of research and ultimately determined that my zoning and county wouldn't allow it previously. I will spend a lot of time invested into understanding the requirements. I believe the best information I will get is from current FFL holders in a home based setting.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    The ATF requires you to be in business with the intention of making money, this is one of the big questions they will ask. FFL's won't be issued for a hobby or to buy cheap guns for personal collection(which don't exist).

I had a home based FFL for 6 years. Parts of it were great. Turned a profit every year while being one of the lowest priced in my area. But after moving, I've yet to get back into it. If I do, it won't be at home. I was open by appointment only, $15 transfers. 90% of my customers were awesome. The other 10% made me decide that home based sucked. My shop was located on the same 5 acres as my house, but in a separate 24x30 building. Weirdos find your info online and then randomly show up at all hours to see what you have in stock. More than one was told to get the **** of my land. Others would have something transfered and then show up at my back door the second they got the ups delivery notification. Just because someone signed for it doesn't mean I'm home or open. But there is lots of good parts too. If I ever go back to it, it will be off my property and I won't do transfers unless I know you well. It's a magnet for odd balls and I'm not home to defend the herd 24/7.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    A little ATF history.

Back in the 30's they had the NFA. There was no prescribed way to 'decommission' guns like the Thompson or Tommy gun. Usually you would go to the police department and they would do whatever they deemed necessary. Some police departments would simply put a piece of wooden dowel rod in the chamber with a wink and others would weld the whole bore shut.

Last year one of my LGS got in a Thompson M1A1 WWII versions that fired from an open bolt with a fixed firing pin mounted to the bolt. No way to make semi-auto. The receiver had a section cut out of it that was since replaced with Bondo for visual reasons only. All internals were intact and it had an original Thompson made by Colt 20 round magazine.

The ATF swooped in and gutted it, hammered blocks of wood into the receiver and made it into a totally inert object with a magazine that won't even come out. Good some will say, it wasn't a papered relic. Fine, let us say this was totally in the 'right'. But why then did the ATF return it with a generic aftermarket 30 round mag instead of the highly sought after original Colt manufactured one? The original batch was the only 20 round mags made and when the gov got involved they went to 30 rounds.

So, if you just got butt rashed by the ATF with their wide spreading omnipotent power, would you ask about the magazine much less all the internals which are legal to own?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think the OP has already started his home business ... at least 3 listings in the classies since last night.
    He needs to take the parts out of the bag and lay them out for a photo at least...

giphy.gif

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The ATF swooped in and gutted it, hammered blocks of wood into the receiver and made it into a totally inert object with a magazine that won't even come out. Good some will say, it wasn't a papered relic. Fine, let us say this was totally in the 'right'. But why then did the ATF return it with a generic aftermarket 30 round mag instead of the highly sought after original Colt manufactured one? The original batch was the only 20 round mags made and when the gov got involved they went to 30 rounds.

So, if you just got butt rashed by the ATF with their wide spreading omnipotent power, would you ask about the magazine much less all the internals which are legal to own?
    Damski! It's not enough that they have that authority. It's that they seemingly enjoy sticking their authority in, sans lube. Crooks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The ATF requires you to be in business with the intention of making money, this is one of the big questions they will ask. FFL's won't be issued for a hobby or to buy cheap guns for personal collection(which don't exist).

I had a home based FFL for 6 years. Parts of it were great. Turned a profit every year while being one of the lowest priced in my area. But after moving, I've yet to get back into it. If I do, it won't be at home. I was open by appointment only, $15 transfers. 90% of my customers were awesome. The other 10% made me decide that home based sucked. My shop was located on the same 5 acres as my house, but in a separate 24x30 building. Weirdos find your info online and then randomly show up at all hours to see what you have in stock. More than one was told to get the **** of my land. Others would have something transfered and then show up at my back door the second they got the ups delivery notification. Just because someone signed for it doesn't mean I'm home or open. But there is lots of good parts too. If I ever go back to it, it will be off my property and I won't do transfers unless I know you well. It's a magnet for odd balls and I'm not home to defend the herd 24/7.
    And this is why it's a bit of a push to do this from your home. There are security questions that will come up. Not everyone will follow the by appointment only rule regardless. People are a strange lot. That 10% is often enough to drive you nuts. And 2 % of the 10 are flat freacking crazy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And this is why it's a bit of a push to do this from your home. There are security questions that will come up. Not everyone will follow the by appointment only rule regardless. People are a strange lot. That 10% is often enough to drive you nuts. And 2 % of the 10 are flat freacking crazy.
    Not the same line of business but I had my shop at my house for years. Performance based work. Hot rod engines mainly for street/drag cars and Harley Davidsons. And metric bikes. Myself and my neighbor did this part time, but I swear we put as many hours in the shop as we did at work. This brought out some interesting people. Especially the bike group. More than a few were just not right thinking and had to be removed from the shop. 1 on multiple occasions and he finally understood the meaning of pain.
    And lord the beer drinkers. Thats another story.
    As was mentioned 90% + customers are great. Some become friends. It's that small percentage of the head count that give you pause.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

That seems low...

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Google may be to blame for the random nutjob person wanting to see your home store.

When I am in a new area with extra time I often ask google where the guns stores are. I have a feeling Mr Google just dumps out the addresses of anyone with an FFL. many of the "gunstores" I am shown are private homes, farms, and unrelated businesses. Of course I do not bother these folk.

Top Bottom