Where to find: .38 SPL 148/158gr WC/SWC ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I just bought a CA Off Duty 2" .38spl. I knew I was going to have some problems finding good defensive ammo for this. An hour on the internet leaves me a bit tired and somewhat irritated. I found some at PSA, some at USA Guns, but the selection is limited, and so is the supply. Anyone have any suggestions? Just for background, I am not interested in anything +P, or anything that doesn't penetrate.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just bought a CA Off Duty 2" .38spl. I knew I was going to have some problems finding good defensive ammo for this. An hour on the internet leaves me a bit tired and somewhat irritated. I found some at PSA, some at USA Guns, but the selection is limited, and so is the supply. Anyone have any suggestions? Just for background, I am not interested in anything +P, or anything that doesn't penetrate.
    148gr wadcutter doesn't really need to be +P which is nice.
    I'll try to locate something for you.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

FS over $200

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @Aszerigan might be able to make some for you. You might contact him about what you want.

Also contact @AEAMMO.COM about getting some.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I know that ammunition that they don’t make a lot of because it’s less popular cost more but gosh, I’m so old I remember buying wad cutters for $4-5 /50 to just punch paper with, reloads were $2/box. I need to pick some up for a S&W Mod 52 I have and the S&B stuff looks pretty good. Would work fine outta my snubbies too.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Midway has a decent selection available

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I know that ammunition that they don’t make a lot of because it’s less popular cost more but gosh, I’m so old I remember buying wad cutters for $4-5 /50 to just punch paper with, reloads were $2/box. I need to pick some up for a S&W Mod 52 I have and the S&B stuff looks pretty good. Would work fine outta my snubbies too.
    Revolver cartridges are quickly becoming a reloader's game. Even .38 special, which used to be everywhere, is now getting hard to find and expensive. At least they don't throw your brass all over the place and it lasts just about forever with standard pressure loads, especially if you avoid nickel cases. You can still get a box of Hornady tumble-lubed HBWC projectiles, and load them for the same or less than 9mm.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Amazing. I spent over an hour searching individual stores. I didn't know this kind of stuff was even possible.
    I didn't either until a friend told me about it. I use it to search best pricing on rifle reloading components.

Ammo Seek is another online search engine.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I like the little Charter arms undercover as a boot gun.

Like you found, almost all defensive ammo is +p, which the Charter arms is not rated to use. S&B had some 125 gr hollow points for .38spl but I have not seen them in 10 or 12 years. I have found 130 grain FMJ in standard pressure.

Better than a slingshot, unless you are David slaying Goliath.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I’ve made Federal 148gn Match Wadcutter clone ammo for several customers. It’s no problem to make more.
    I remember some of the cast 148 WC bullets were hollow base. I remember guys putting them in with the hollow pointing out, claiming they would mushroom. I never tried it or tested it on a hunk of meat. Did you ever try that?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I remember some of the cast 148 WC bullets were hollow base. I remember guys putting them in with the hollow pointing out, claiming they would mushroom. I never tried it or tested it on a hunk of meat. Did you ever try that?
    I’ve heard of people doing that but I never have.

Top Bottom