Where should my wife conceal and what holster would be best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Granger
    Worried about her carrying in her purse or diaper bag because that would be the first thing someone snatches if she isn't paying attention.. Just got her lifetime carry in the mail and bought her s&m shield today.. Any help would be great

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That is a personal decision that she has to make for herself. Best choice in my opinion is strong side belt carry, but a person has to adjust their wardrobe. I am one of the few people who is not anti purse carry. Just remember that some bad habits might need to be broken if she carries off body. With a proper purse carried in the correct manner purse carry can work.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I second VERT. Carry method is entirely personal. I also feel that strong-side belt carry offers the greatest benefits with the least drawbacks, but that includes the "all things being equal" caveat. If all things aren't equal and there are additional details that need to be considered, obviously strong-side belt carry may not be the best.

Having said that, I'm going to go on my anti anti-purse carry rant. How many years has she been carrying a purse? How many times has it been stolen/snatched? Does she keep her wallet, ID with name and address, house keys, or other personal information in the purse? Are you not worried about those items being stolen? Why does she not carry her wallet and keys on her body? I'd rather a criminal get my gun than get my identification, name, address, and means to enter my house any day.

Mind you, I am not saying she should carry in a purse. I am only saying that if your primary concern is that the gun might be stolen, you should re-evaluate your priorities.

Purse carry is just another way of carrying. It comes with some different issues, and the individual needs to be aware of them and have a plan. Behavior modification may be in order, as VERT said. I firmly believe that situational awareness eliminates most of the timing issues associated with purse carry.

Having said that, if you're really worried about your wife not paying attention, I would be more concerned about her situational awareness in general than whether or not she might lose track of her firearm.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Would rep you if I could, 88.

When I CC, I do it IWB, but my wardrobe consists mostly of jeans and khakis, so it's not a problem. I use a small suede clip-in holster like this.

I have tried the flashbang bra holster and was not impressed. The gun was awkward to get out and impossible to get back in. Other women swear by it. Since I carry a small revolver, I have actually clipped the above holster to the front of my bra when wearing a sweatshirt or other bulky top. Don't know if your wife could do that with a shield.

cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Granger
    I second VERT. Carry method is entirely personal. I also feel that strong-side belt carry offers the greatest benefits with the least drawbacks, but that includes the "all things being equal" caveat. If all things aren't equal and there are additional details that need to be considered, obviously strong-side belt carry may not be the best.

Having said that, I'm going to go on my anti anti-purse carry rant. How many years has she been carrying a purse? How many times has it been stolen/snatched? Does she keep her wallet, ID with name and address, house keys, or other personal information in the purse? Are you not worried about those items being stolen? Why does she not carry her wallet and keys on her body? I'd rather a criminal get my gun than get my identification, name, address, and means to enter my house any day.

Mind you, I am not saying she should carry in a purse. I am only saying that if your primary concern is that the gun might be stolen, you should re-evaluate your priorities.

Purse carry is just another way of carrying. It comes with some different issues, and the individual needs to be aware of them and have a plan. Behavior modification may be in order, as VERT said. I firmly believe that situational awareness eliminates most of the timing issues associated with purse carry.

Having said that, if you're really worried about your wife not paying attention, I would be more concerned about her situational awareness in general than whether or not she might lose track of her firearm.

The only reason I think she would get distracted from the purse carry would be we have 2 small children. So between stroller diaper bag purse it just concerns me. You are right about the important everyday things she carries in her purse anyway.

cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Granger
    Would rep you if I could, 88.

When I CC, I do it IWB, but my wardrobe consists mostly of jeans and khakis, so it's not a problem. I use a small suede clip-in holster like this.

I have tried the flashbang bra holster and was not impressed. The gun was awkward to get out and impossible to get back in. Other women swear by it. Since I carry a small revolver, I have actually clipped the above holster to the front of my bra when wearing a sweatshirt or other bulky top. Don't know if your wife could do that with a shield.

This is is what I suggested she try first. She has a smaller chest so flash bang wouldn't work for her. But she has booty so easier to conceal lower on the body

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As long as she's not nursing there is this option.

[video=youtube_share;h8r6CY5UZyw]http://youtu.be/h8r6CY5UZyw[/video]

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It's important to clear your clothing when you draw. For instance, with strong side carry, you still might have to sweep aside your jacket to reach the gun. It seems like she could improve her draw time if she were to lift up the shirt higher. Reaching under seems slow and perhaps even ergonomically unsound.

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.

I wear cowgirl boots a lot, and I use a holster similar to this, for my LCP 380, that just clips to the top (inside) of the boot. My jeans are loose enough, it doesn't take much to pull them up and the gun out.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I love my flashbang for my 380 taurus tcp. Around small kids it feels like its in the safest place. Never had it touched when they hug me or im carrying them. Id prefer something a little more accesable, but when its carried right its totally concealed and safest for kids around you.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'd like to help her with her technique! :)

I didn't watch the whole video, but I have a pretty quick draw time when I only have to clear leather and there is no aiming involved. I'm not sure how that proves anything.

I meant to quote the video but got the wrong one. I'm too lazy to fix it from my phone.

Top Bottom