• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I just posted this on another forum but thought I'd share here too. After all, fellow Hoosiers would have a closer experience to this.

Since 2003 I've recorded what I've spent on gas and driving. 2003 & 2004 were incomplete. 2005 got better as did 2006. 2007 was almost 100% along w/ 2008.

I just thought I'd share a little w/ you.

In 2007 I drove 12,595 miles and spent $1,615.05 on 559.468 gallons of fuel. This was in my 2002 Focus and I used premium fuel from mid August to the end of the year. I wanted to see if premium gas would improve my mileage.

My Focus was destroyed in my Christmas Eve accident.

My new car is a safer 2002 Volvo S80.

In 2008 I drove 15,297 miles and spent $2,395.12 on 707.452 gallons of fuel. My Volvo requires premium so that would equate to about $100 over the Focus.

Fuel efficiency is almost the same. My Focus averaged 22.65 MPG and my Volvo averaged 22.12 MPG.

The cheapest gas I bought in 2007 was $1.88 on Jan 18th and the cheapest gas I bought in 2008 was $1.54 on Dec 27th.

Just sad to see where fuel prices have gone.

Doug

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As long as they don't jump over $2/gal again, I'm just fine where they are. I don't beach about 10-20/c on the gallon. Then again, I don't drive a truck with a 75-150 gallon gas tank either. .10-20c on the gallon times 14-18 gallons (truck/van) doesn't make THAT much of a difference.

It just makes me made to know that every penny they raise the fuel price they make an extra BILLION dollars THAT DAY. So if they raise it .30 they make an extra 30 billion in profits! What a buisness!

on a side note, if the oil companies EVER ask for a bailout, I want to hear a senator tell them in public "Just raise gas prices for a week!" :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've made this point here before. The oil companies, for the most part, were not responsible for the run-up in prices. The run-up was driven by commodity markets and money being pumped into them by investment banks, most notably Morgan Stanley. The prices was going up as demand was decreasing and supply increasing. The estimate is that at least 60% of the peak price was due to commodity speculation and manipulation. So, investment banks were instrumental in destroying the economy and get paid for the privilege with bailout money. I would start the public hangings with those guys.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm not disputing those facts Carmel. I'm just stating a fact. 1 penny/gallon = 1 billion $$$s/day. That was the last figure I heard. I also said as long as gas stays under $2/gal, I'll be happy.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm not disputing those facts Carmel. I'm just stating a fact. 1 penny/gallon = 1 billion $$/day. That was the last figure I heard. I also said as long as gas stays under $2/gal, I'll be happy.

Hard to believe. The U.S. used in 2008 roughly 350M gallons a day and a $.01 rise in a gallon would be $3.5M for the U.S. It would take 100B gallons of sales for a $.01 rise to generate $1B. I don't think worldwide consumption exceeds 1B Gal/day, if that. Of course, that has nothing to do with WHY prices were rising.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I wasn't refering to WHY prices were being raised. But you are also not taking into account of Diesel fuel either. Truckers alone consume more than that everyday.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If they did we'd be in a heap of crap! LOL

No they don't use $100B of gas a day! That would be redonkulous! No, the average trucker fills up about 50-100 gallons every stop. Some stop everyday, some stop every other day, and a few stop twice a day depending on tank size, miles, etc. There are how many truckers on the road any given weekday? I'm sure I could go up to the local T/A and knowing all the people there probably get you some figures on how much on average they sell everyday. I know truckers consume more fuel because the average American doesn't stop everyday for gas and they certainly don't consume as much fuel per week as ANY given trucker.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Most semis run between 5-10MPG under loaded conditions. At an average speed of 55 for 12 hours that 660 miles covered per day per truck. So depending on how efficient the truck is is going to be between what 66- 132 gallons of fuel ate a day. Now how many trucks are on the road per day?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah, when I was in Egypt over the summer, the price came out to be around 15 cents per gallon.

My dad keeps track of how much he spends on gas and it was well over $3000 for 2008.

I used to spend around that much if not more back in 2000-2002. Of course I was playing taxi and sleeping in my truck and learning ever backroad in Hendricks, Morgan, Putnam counties, Indy, Oh hell, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois LOL!

Top Bottom