Where does one buy an Olympic target .22 rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Here is where you can get the Russian biathlon rifle, but as others said, if it is just the straight pull action that is fascinating to you, get the Browning T-bolt. Biathlon

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    Anschutz 1827 is the Biathlon rifle. They range from 3550-4400 if there are any left in this year's import. Champion Sports usually has them but are currently OOS.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So, from watching the biathlon and looking over the Anschutz and Izhmash websites; it's still unclear exactly how that action operates. It appears to be a locked breech, not a blowback, because the shooters are placing their thumb on the back of the bolt, and the bolt isn't moving backwards at the shot. Yet with very little force they are coming off the trigger and flicking the bolt back to eject the shell. It's almost as if they have a spring assist or a mechanically advantaged toggle system...

I know there is more than one design of the biathlon rifles, an I am only familiar with one. The toggle link is simply like two links of a chain. The operator lever is on the front section of the rear link. When you pull back, the toggle pivot pulls to the right, outside the action so there is plenty of room to pull the bolt away from the chamber. When you push the lever, the links go just past straight, closing the bolt. The geometry is set up so it goes a few degrees past center to the left, where the pivot point is jammed up against the left side of the receiver. When the round is ignited, any rearward thrust just pushes the toggle harder to the solid receiver, so it does not jump open. As soon as the bullet clears the barrel, the pressure is spent, so you can easily pull the lever, moving the toggle link to the right. In the toggle link system, nothing comes rearward out of the action so you can easily keep your eye right up to the peep sight and maintain your cheek weld for faster accuracy. It is a really simple system, requires almost no effort, and is fun to shoot.

I was looking at the new anshultz rifles. They are a different design. Leave it up to the germans to complicate things.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Straight pull for rimfire only? Nope.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3a62x-DFA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dsj3a62x-DFA[/video]

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vme90gayUzc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dvme90gayUzc[/video]

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I know there is more than one design of the biathlon rifles, an I am only familiar with one. The toggle link is simply like two links of a chain. The operator lever is on the front section of the rear link. When you pull back, the toggle pivot pulls to the right, outside the action so there is plenty of room to pull the bolt away from the chamber. When you push the lever, the links go just past straight, closing the bolt. The geometry is set up so it goes a few degrees past center to the left, where the pivot point is jammed up against the left side of the receiver. When the round is ignited, any rearward thrust just pushes the toggle harder to the solid receiver, so it does not jump open. As soon as the bullet clears the barrel, the pressure is spent, so you can easily pull the lever, moving the toggle link to the right. In the toggle link system, nothing comes rearward out of the action so you can easily keep your eye right up to the peep sight and maintain your cheek weld for faster accuracy. It is a really simple system, requires almost no effort, and is fun to shoot.

I was looking at the new anshultz rifles. They are a different design. Leave it up to the germans to complicate things.

That makes perfect sense. A toggle link that goes over center to lock the breech. Thank you!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My son began junior shooting at mcf&g last summer, and luckily the program has loaner equipment when starting out.
    Which is a good thing, because on a whim I looked up the Walther LG300 Air rifles he's been using throughout the winter months. $1500!! Probably another $500 in sights on top of that.

um... we may have picked the wrong sport. I'm afraid to even research small bore target rifles after seeing the air gun price.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I think biathlon would be a lot of fun to do, plus it would give me an excuse to get an Anschutz straight pull. I just wish there were a version where it was downhill, and from a snowboard.

Top Bottom