• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where does your gun go when you go to bed?

• Total voters

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    So, My girlfriend and I just recently got into an argument about why I do not keep my handgun in a safe at night. I keep my glock 19 loaded with a Raven Concealment VG2 tethered with 550 cord inside the drawer next to my bed. She thinks that I should keep it in a safe somewhere in my room so it is secure while I sleep. I derive a certain sense of comfort knowing my firearm is so easily accessible. SHe is of the mindset that it is extremely unsafe, and is worried about her sleepwalking (which has never happened so long as we have been dating, over 2 years) or me not being fully awake and thinking I have to shoot someone.

My question to all of you is: Where do you keep you gun while you sleep, and why?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I used to keep a .38 special in the night stand drawer. Now that my 18 month old daughter is more mobile I keep my edc in a Stack-On electronic safe under the night stand. 4 key code for quick access. It's not bolted down at the moment, which I need to remedy. The safe keeps my kid out and makes the wife happy. That makes me happy.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I have a special little gun bed for her, and a little pillow and blanky to keep her warm.
    Would you like to know where my gold is, and maybe the safe combo too??

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    I'm just trying to get an idea of what people do. Maybe someone has thought of something I havent.

I have a special little gun bed for her, and a little pillow and blanky to keep her warm.
    Would you like to know where my gold is, and maybe the safe combo too??
    paranoid much? :D

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Bookcase headboard, inches from my head.

407063768.jpg

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    We have firearms strategically placed throughout the house so to answer your question: which gun are you referring to? handguns? shotguns? rifles?

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    We have firearms strategically placed throughout the house so to answer your question: which gun are you referring to? handguns? shotguns? rifles?

I guess specifically the firearm you keep closest to your bed. The first thing you go for when something goes 'bump' in the night.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Since I have a 4 yo and a 2yo, it is kept in my dresser drawer under a shirt. When I get out of bed, it's on me as soon as I put my pants on.

I am teaching both kids about what to do if they see a gun. My daughter is 4 1/2 has it down. Still working on my boy.

You do what you are comfortable with. If the gf don't like it, find another one.:whip:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    As close as possible. One of them at least.Tell her to chill or tie her to the bed LOL. She doesn't sound real fond of guns so i highly doubt she would unholster a gun whole sleep walking and discharge it. Maybe she needs some training and range time, sometimes it's better from a third party too. Just my .02

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No kids who visit EVER? nightstand drawer is fine. Been there, done that.

Have kids(or visitors)? gunvault.com. Safe to armed in under 2 seconds. (I own 2) You can pick them up at Gander Mountain (or Amazon) considerably cheaper than what their web store lists them for.

I dont care how fast you put it on your belt after you wake, or how close tabs you keep on your rugrats. if its not stored in a locked box when its not on your person, you are asking for trouble.

IMHO the gunvault brand is one of the fastest to arm solutions out there. Provided you ignore the biometric models... pure gimmick asking for trouble.... and I work for a company that deploys biometric access controls.

Dont get me wrong. If you choose another brand box to stick your weapon in, good for you! Just dont rely on "securty through obscurity" (aka hidden under something in a drawer) to keep kids safe.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Loaded on the table next to my bed... I have a loaded (empty chamber so I can make the cool noise racking a shell) Mossberg 500 PG only laying along side the bed too.
    I have no children nor do any visit my home, well some of my friends are a bit childish but they are well trained about the firearms in my house.

I would likely do something much different if I did have children or other people in the house but it is just me.

In fact, I have loaded guns all over the place in drawers and cabinets so I am never far from one if someone appears out of nowhere uninvited.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Other:

I bought a $10 pocket holster and then superglued some velcro to one side of it. I then stuck the other velcro on my wooden bedframe. I put the gun in this holster when I go to bed.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I have little kids in the house, so my .45 and .380 stay on the upper shelf in my bedroom closet. If I had to jump out of bed, it would take approx 4 steps to get it.
    It stays loaded and ready.

I will be looking into a smaller single gun safe, like a biometric type soon.. I want to cut down on the number of steps to the gun, yet keep it safe from the little kid hands.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    within arms reach, locked and loaded. 10 year old son in the house but he knows better than to try to mess with it. Plus I would hear him enter the room in the event that happened

I've had instances where I needed to grab my gun, but I did not shoot. Even in my half sleep induced state I didn't shoot because I made sure of my target. It was a husband coming home a night early and not letting me know. :xmad:

Yes I told him how close he came to being shot. He hasn't done it since.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I keep mine loaded in a holster in the top drawer of my dresser by itself. I would keep it on/in my nightstand, but I don't have one. I'm getting one soon though. 49!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Which gun? I am about 2 seconds from "at least" 2 fire arms. Pretty much at all times. Anywhere in my house and my vehicles.

Top Bottom