• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    4th year in this house and finally I have clover flowers in my yard...I do not believe in spraying grass with chemicals so it can be green and weed free. I don't see any bees...when we were kids we never waled through the heavy areas of clover flowers because we knew we wound get stung. Sad to say the pretty green yards may be causing our food supply to be in jeopardy.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

I disagree.

I don't think even war would stop Monsanto.

They'd simply switch production back to the Rainbow Agents and start producing sarin instead. By the time it was over, they'd have tripled their profits.

We need honeybees and they truly seem to be going extinct.
    Forget the good stuff like honey, how much do you folks really enjoy your apples and fruits?

We're in some serious trouble, just like every other day.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    whole_foods-bee.jpg

There is NO substitution for bees. If we don't do something soon it will be too late.

ZombiePanda

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Looks like that Russian-Monsanto War article is bogus.

snopes.com: Russia Warns Obama: Monsanto

Not saying Monsanto doesn't deserve being declared war on. Nor am I disputing that pesticides are killing off more than just pests. Just that I couldn't find a shred of credible evidence backing the alleged Putin comment about war over the Farmer Assurance Provision (aka the Monsanto Protection Act).

FWIW

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I have seen more in Lawrence this year than in the last couple.

Also a lot more lightning bugs this year

With both I know there is a ton of theories but personally I think it has something to do with the mosquito spray ?
    I have seen more of both this year and have not seen one sprayer yet?

:twocents:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Folks there has been a huge bee mite problem going on for a number of years that has nothing related to chemicals.

From a friend of mine that is the honey business this little mite right here is a huge problem.

Varroa_Mite.jpg

It is also believed that they are causing what I think he called,
    Colony Collapse Disorder.

This is where the bee leaves the hive and never returns because
    of this mite.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Honeybees are plentiful here by all appearances. The clover in my yard is covered with them .
    A friend of mine who raises bees lost many of his to the mites several years back. According to him this is a scourge long known in the beekeeping community.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Honeybees are plentiful here by all appearances. The clover in my yard is covered with them .
    A friend of mine who raises bees lost many of his to the mites several years back. According to him this is a scourge long known in the beekeeping community.

Yeah here too. I was working in the yard this past weekend and I was amazed at the number if honey bees on the clover in the yard and in the flowers around the house. It did seem like there were more than I'd seen in the past few years.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Folks there has been a huge bee mite problem going on for a number of years that has nothing related to chemicals.

From a friend of mine that is the honey business this little mite right here is a huge problem.

Varroa_Mite.jpg

of this mite.

Round Up made the mite a "super mite".

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't spray pesticides or fertilizer or chemicals in or around my house. What's with people wanting to spray the weeds and just throw poison on everything you don't like in your house and yard? What you put in your environment is what you will get back out of it. Drives me nuts when my fiances father wants to come spray the weeds even after I told him not to because my dog is in the yard and he eats the grass sometimes. It's a real problem IMO. I'm of the mindset just leave things be.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Pee kills weeds naturally...I hope I see more bees, we are considering some hives , but so far have not done much but research. Someone mention lighting bug...Usually by this time of year you would see tons of them, I have only seen a few. Use to the fields would look like a fairy kingdom.

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    Looks like that Russian-Monsanto War article is bogus.

snopes.com: Russia Warns Obama: Monsanto

Not saying Monsanto doesn't deserve being declared war on. Nor am I disputing that pesticides are killing off more than just pests. Just that I couldn't find a shred of credible evidence backing the alleged Putin comment about war over the Farmer Assurance Provision (aka the Monsanto Protection Act).

FWIW

well it is on the internet "it has to be true" :) thanks for the link

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    4th year in this house and finally I have clover flowers in my yard...I do not believe in spraying grass with chemicals so it can be green and weed free. I don't see any bees...when we were kids we never waled through the heavy areas of clover flowers because we knew we wound get stung. Sad to say the pretty green yards may be causing our food supply to be in jeopardy.

loss of habitat & diversity in food has a bigger impact than chemicals..
    Plant some rosebushes, or blackberrys, let hedges grow till they flower.. you will see lots of types of bees..

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy

Varroa_Mite.jpg

of this mite.
    according to the USDA they really don't know why
    1. mite
    2. bacteria
    3. pesticides
    Colony-Collapse Disorder Is Killing Honeybees, and We Don't Know How to Stop It | TIME.com

Top Bottom