What's your minimum mag count for a carry weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • how many mags qualify as "adequate"?

• Total voters

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It really depends on the gun. If I'm carrying my Bersa 9HC, then a single spare mag in the pocket is good and a second spare at home works. For the 1911s, I have 4 grade A mags (Wilson Combat) and a handful of grade B mags for the range (Kimber, Springfield etc). In general, I like to have 4 spares for each type of gun but don't have any intention of carrying all 4 at once.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I try to keep a minimum of 2-3 extra (in addition to the magazine or 2 that came with the firearm) around. But I can't deny that I do have more than 20 for one of my handguns, and I really don't even carry that one anymore. It's still my best shooter though.

justincue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have always carried 7 +1.. But .45 single stack is also my choice right now.. so I carry one extra sometimes. I will be getting a xdm next month so that will change..

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have several "spares" for my carry gun. I don't carry them with me - just the 10+1 in the gun itself. The spare mags are mostly for target practice, and to replace the one in the gun if it has issues.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Maybe fischers is a paradise, up here in NW Indiana we border a city that is in the running for the highest total murders and violent attacks in the nation, not just numbers wise, but even per captia this year.

Sleepy little Munster Indiana is 12 miles from it and miles from Gary. 54 shootings and 10 murders in 48 hours last weekend in Chicago city limits alone. You think they'll stick to the city limits forever? FYI 4 man home invasion in munster a week ago... all gang bangers from ILL...

I agree with Prometheus here. I live in Valparaiso and work in Merrillville. Where I work is about a 5 minute drive from Gary. I remember last year I was at work on a Saturday, and a large bank that is across the road from where I work was robbed. Violence will only be contained for so long before it starts to spill into the surrounding areas. Being so close to Chicago and Gary, it IS starting to spill over. I can tell you with all certainty that "gangbangers" ARE moving here from Illinois.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I like to have 5 mags for any pistol that is a carry or possible high use pistol. As for actual carry I do not carry any spare mags as I don't feel the need for more than 10rds. IF my 10rd mag is not enough then I REALLY screwed up for thinking my pistol would be enough or I need to practice a lot more:D

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I like to have 6 or more depending on price. 2 for carry and 4+ extra for the range. For the pricey FN, I only have the 3 it came with.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    10 mags on hand.

Generally I only carry the mag in the well. Unless i am going to a more sporty location then I have 2 on my weak side.

I live out in the sticks if something goes wrong with a mag I just go to the shelf a get another one.

I do mark my bad mags and use them for range time. Nothing better than trying to shoot with a bad mag to make you good at your malfunction and stoppage drills...

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I carry with me no spare clips. Before you jump my case, I'm carrying a revolver... so suck it!

But when I carry an autoloader, I do not carry an extra magazine. I don't know where else I would put it when I'm also carrying a wallet, pocket knife, keys, change and cell phone.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I voted 0 spares, spares aren't for sissys though. Depends where you are going. I feel that 1 in the gun is okay for EDC. Though I completely understand the reasons for a 2nd (or more) and have considered it. I carry a single stack .45 so extra round would be nice. I have 2 carry mags that have never failed me, and which ever I have in the gun at the time I fully trust as I'm putting my life on it. I do have a 3rd that I don't trust and as such is is clearly marked and used at the range or for dry fire (mag-disconnect "feature"). A mag failure is a bad thing. I do however carry "Loaded and Charged" to be technically correct, so regardless of any mag failures I'll get one off before clearing a jam. If I was expecting to need a spare, I simply would not go there.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . Not necessarily the number I would carry, but the number I feel comfy with having at my disposal. . . .

See above - just to clarify the OP of this thread. The question is how many mags (minimum) do you feel comfortable owning for a semi-auto, not how many do you carry.

FWIW, Mel Tappan recommended a minimum of 6 magazines for every semi-automatic firearm owned. Very reasonable, IMO, and a good starting point.

Four or fewer mags will suddenly look like a mere pittance should things ever tighten up again, or if things go south quickly.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    See above - just to clarify the OP of this thread. The question is how many mags (minimum) do you feel comfortable owning for a semi-auto, not how many do you carry.

FWIW, Mel Tappan recommended a minimum of 6 magazines for every semi-automatic firearm owned. Very reasonable, IMO, and a good starting point.

Four or fewer mags will suddenly look like a mere pittance should things ever tighten up again, or if things go south quickly.

LOL, this thread went off track loooong ago.... I take some of the blame for not wording well. I decided to just let it sail off into the sunset....

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Five mags is the way to go, but I only carry an extra mag if I'm carrying the .380 (7+1)

If I'm carrying the XD, surely 17+1 will get the job done, right?

Top Bottom