• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    TL:DR Looking for recommendations for a conceal carry holster for my new S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm.

Years ago, I had a S&W M&P 9c. I was looking for a handgun that would do it all. I was planning to use it both in competitive shooting, as well as conceal carry. I didn't feel it did either very well. The short barrel made it inaccurate for competitive shooting, and it was a wide double stack that I felt I couldn't conceal very well. I subsequently sold that gun.

Then I bought a S&W M&P 9mm Pro L. That is/was from their performance line with the 5 inch barrel. This did much better with the competitive shooting. I have carried it a few times, but it's so big and uncomfortable (sharp edges an all), it's not something I carry with any frequency.

My guns being at home in my safe don't do diddly for self-protection outside the home, so I finally saved up the money and bought a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm.

I almost immediately bought a couple IWB conceal carry holsters, and I don't like either that I bought. Frankly, these were cheap ones I bought on Amazon to try and get an idea of what I might like without a huge investment, and are easily returnable. One is made with a neoprene. I somewhat like the neoprene as far as the feeling against my skin, but it grips the gun tightly making a smooth draw impossible. It also has a thumb break retention strap I hate. The other is leather on the inside of the holster (where the gun rests), and suede on the outside (against your pants and skin). I somewhat like the suede against my skin as well, but the leather is soft creating the same smooth draw problem as the neoprene. Both have clips with extremely rough, almost sharp edges that are quick to scratch/mar my leather gun belt.

I'm wondering if what I want is more like a DeSantis Invader or Infiltrator Air, with a "body pad" made of something softer like neoprene, or suede, with a kydex holster. I'm willing to consider something OWB as well, so long as it isn't a paddle style. I strongly prefer to carry my gun around the 4 o'clock position, and paddle holsters make getting in my pants pockets for my phone or wallet difficult.

With that said, what holster do you use for your gun? What do you look for or look to avoid when buying a holster? Links appreciated.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm a fan of the MTAC hybrid for strong side IWB holster.

Leather backing plate resists folding and is very durable, gives room for establishing a proper grip for the draw stroke, is adjustable for cant and depth, clips don't rip up your clothes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im a STRONG fan of Crossbreed SuperTucks. My G19 is very comfy and stays put. My G42 is so comfortable Ive forgotten Im wearing it. One day I went to the bathroom at home to drop a deuce. I unbuckled and unbuttoned my pants. Immediately, my pants ROCKETED to the floor with a thunk. Oh. Yeah. I was still carrying. I literally forgot I had it on.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    Im a STRONG fan of Crossbreed SuperTucks. My G19 is very comfy and stays put. My G42 is so comfortable Ive forgotten Im wearing it. One day I went to the bathroom at home to drop a deuce. I unbuckled and unbuttoned my pants. Immediately, my pants ROCKETED to the floor with a thunk. Oh. Yeah. I was still carrying. I literally forgot I had it on.
    Crossbreed SuperTuck holsters were one I had considered in the past, and it appears their price has dropped since last I looked. Do you recommend the combat cut?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Crossbreed SuperTuck holsters were one I had considered in the past, and it appears their price has dropped since last I looked. Do you recommend the combat cut?
    ABSOLUTELY. I dont think they should be sold without it. Its more comfortable without it, but its MUCH harder to get a proper grip on the gun without that cut.

Go for the combat cut. I didnt get it on my first. I did on the second. I immediately cut the first one myself when I tried the 2nd with the cut.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I'm old school leather guy, but a few kydex models seem to work alright. These are cheap, and fit the gun perfectly. Fleabay has them for around $20 each, some free shipping. Strong clip on them, easy to put on, and remove. Leather is around $60-100, but you do get well finished rig.
    My 3 tubs of holsters get heavier all the tme, but i'm prepared to carry anything out there.
    Good luck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I had one, and will agree with CameraMonkey. If you get one, the combat cut should be mandatory. The backing leather interferes with your grip otherwise.

Many people find the crossbreed really comfortable. I wasn't one of them. I also found the backing leather to be inferior to the MTAC in terms of not flagging the opening of the holster. Having used both extensively, I think the MTAC is worth the extra cost but the Crossbreed is certainly a viable option as well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What kind of belt are you using? This is the foundation of a good carry rig. Make sure it's a real gun belt. A leather one with a stiffener, or a synthetic one, like the Super Bio Belt are good.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I had one, and will agree with CameraMonkey. If you get one, the combat cut should be mandatory. The backing leather interferes with your grip otherwise.

Many people find the crossbreed really comfortable. I wasn't one of them. I also found the backing leather to be inferior to the MTAC in terms of not flagging the opening of the holster. Having used both extensively, I think the MTAC is worth the extra cost but the Crossbreed is certainly a viable option as well.
    Good to know, and appreciate the comparison. Sounds like the combat cut is a must-have no brainer.
    What kind of belt are you using? This is the foundation of a good carry rig. Make sure it's a real gun belt. A leather one with a stiffener, or a synthetic one, like the Super Bio Belt are good.
    I have two Kore gun belts. One leather, one synthetic, both have the stiffener/rib that runs the length of the belt. I bought them in an effort to make the M&P9LPro work with the holsters I had, but just couldn't make that gun work for me as a concealed carry gun. In hindsight, I'm wondering now if it wasn't so much the gun as it was the holsters I bought for it. If I end up getting a holster I like and carry my Shield frequently, then I may consider getting it for my larger gun as well.

I like OWB holster, my favorite is the Galco Combat Master
    Pricey at $100+, but good to know there are OWB holsters that are recommendable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have two Kore gun belts. One leather, one synthetic, both have the stiffener/rib that runs the length of the belt. I bought them in an effort to make the M&P9LPro work with the holsters I had, but just couldn't make that gun work for me as a concealed carry gun. In hindsight, I'm wondering now if it wasn't so much the gun as it was the holsters I bought for it. If I end up getting a holster I like and carry my Shield frequently, then I may consider getting it for my larger gun as well.
    That's good. This was a lesson I learned the hard way. Well I guess not the hard way but after getting a real gun belt, carrying was so much more comfortable.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    For my Shield 2.0 40:

OWB

IWB
    or

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I tried an Alien Gear hybrid and found the screws that held the shell on the backing would come loose and quit the hybrid design (it WAS comfortable).

I'm currently using an IWB kydex holster from NSR Tactical that I carry at 4:00. It connects to the belt with 2 straps using one-way snaps. In over 30 years of carrying handguns, it is arguably the best holster I've ever had. I usually use a Wilderness.com "instructor belt". IMO the part of that kind of belt design is that you can cinch the belt to EXACTLY the amount of tightness you need to keep the pistol from shifting around.

A friend recently got an IWB holster from WeThePeople that seems very well made. He speaks highly of it

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been dailying this for a year and a half, and it has done great for me. They offer about any imaginable combination of firearm/optic/light/laser hostler you could want.
    Lag Tactical https://www.lagtactical.com/

They were the only ones offering a holster with the handgun/light combo I'm using.

If you're going for comfortable daily carry with a single stack sub compact, I'd recommend hidden hybrid holsters. But their options are pretty limited if you decide to go with a light. The thicker cut of leather really helps separate the gun from your body, and smooth things out in your waist band.
    You aren't going to get perfect comfort out of anything.

Here's the hidden hybrid:

Top Bottom