• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have carried Shields for several years and tried several holsters. I tried IWB and it's just not for me.

I do have one of those Remora holsters but that is just to store it when it's not on me. I have found that those soft type holsters have actuated the mag release when I wear them so that's a no for me to wear daily.

I am OWB now. For OWB options there are a lot that will adequately conceal a Shield.

For leather I recommend a Tucker. Nice fit, high ride, good quality. $$$
    Galco for $ but don't expect a lifetime of good fit. I would pass on Wright Leather Works. Their holsters are more money than a Tucker, longer lead times and no customer satisfaction guarantee. And they aren't any nicer than a Tucker.

For Kydex, there are tons of options. For budget, Bravo Concealment is a good one. That is what I use. I tried a Vedder as an upgrade to the Bravo but ended up returning it since there was not much difference to warrant spending the money. That said, if I didn't already have the Bravo, the Vedder would have been a good choice.

I also think you wouldn't go wrong with JM Custom though I don't have first hand experience with one.

NRS is also a known decent brand though I'm not sure it's necessary to spend that much money for Kydex.

None of my conceal carry holsters are paddles. The only paddle I have is for my 1911 and that is a range only gun and I like the paddle for that purpose.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    lkmsvVu.jpg

Milt Sparks VM2 for my P365

JzkRaEJ.jpg

Dara for my Q4 SF and TT Gunleather for my Staccato P , been leaning more towards dot equipped irons as of late.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I'm a fan of the MTAC hybrid for strong side IWB holster.

Leather backing plate resists folding and is very durable, gives room for establishing a proper grip for the draw stroke, is adjustable for cant and depth, clips don't rip up your clothes.
    This one is tough to beat.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Galco King Tuk (mine are the older models with metal clips), or Crossbreed mini or super tuk depending on size of gun. As stated earlier definitely like the combat cut. Don't forget a good belt if you don't have one. I prefer the Daltech BioBelt.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Harvey's Holsters in Battle Ground, IN (just north of Lafayette) makes kydex & hybrid holsters to order. They set up at area gun shows and make um on the spot.
    Nice things about their OWB ones like this is they hug the body very close. Difficult to see in pic but this one is curved to fit 3-4 o'clock position very well. The clips hold strong yet make it easy to put on & remove without taking a belt off, and if you have a laser no problem, molded to fit whatever is on it.
    1630898618735.png

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Harvey's Holsters in Battle Ground, IN (just north of Lafayette) makes kydex & hybrid holsters to order. They set up at area gun shows and make um on the spot.
    Nice things about their OWB ones like this is they hug the body very close. Difficult to see in pic but this one is curved to fit 3-4 o'clock position very well. The clips hold strong yet make it easy to put on & remove without taking a belt off, and if you have a laser no problem, molded to fit whatever is on it.
    View attachment 156957
    That sounds/looks like it could be a decent holster. I kinda like the idea of being able to remove it without undoing the belt. Though it's not a big deal, still...

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    When I strong side carry I like to use the Yeager C-2 from NSR Tactical with my Glock 19. I have now switched to carrying the Glock 19 appendix with a phlster enigma and a dark star gear Orion G34 length holster. I have really fell in love with the enigma because I can use the same carry set up no matter what type of clothing I'm wearing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've found that all 100% kydex IWB holsters are not made for the outdoor working man.
    The hard sweat guard will cut into you when you are bending or twisting. If you do labor intensive work I'd go leather, or a kydex/leather or neoprene type holster. Something that bends with you not into you. If you sit in a car or office all day it probably isn't a big deal.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For my polymer 9mms I always liked the Comp-Tac CTAC holsters. Very slim profile, offset kydex clips, flexible leather 'wings' and adjustable for ride height and cant.

For revolvers, the Tucker Gun Leather Texas Heritage IWB holster is my favorite. Basically the same features as the CTAC, just a leather body.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    For Leather OWB usually DeSantis Speed Scabbard except for Smaller, then DeSantis Mini Slide. For Leather IWB, I use Don Hume 715's. Proper fits of course. Not much into Kydex.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    I tried an Alien Gear hybrid and found the screws that held the shell on the backing would come loose and quit the hybrid design (it WAS comfortable).

I'm currently using an IWB kydex holster from NSR Tactical that I carry at 4:00. It connects to the belt with 2 straps using one-way snaps. In over 30 years of carrying handguns, it is arguably the best holster I've ever had. I usually use a Wilderness.com "instructor belt". IMO the part of that kind of belt design is that you can cinch the belt to EXACTLY the amount of tightness you need to keep the pistol from shifting around.

A friend recently got an IWB holster from WeThePeople that seems very well made. He speaks highly of it
    Hmm, "We The People" sounds like something from Two Bear Arms, is it?

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    A couple years ago, I fell in love with the P365. I picked up a Desantis Slim-Tuk just because it was cheap and on the shelf, and planned to splurge on something nicer. Tried a few all leathers but: Without a reinforced top, they were too flimsy for smooth reholstering; with the reinforcement, they seemed too fat defeated the point of the svelt little P365. I just keep going back to the cheap Slim-Tuk

I bought a P365XL and put a RMD on it. The Slim-Tuk wouldn't fit the XL due to the curved openning at the muzzle end, and the XL version is never in stock anyplace. I wound up buying another (standard) for $20 at a LGS, and using a heat gun to straighten the muzzle opening. Works great!

I've never had a problem with holsters staying put inside my waistband, I really like the single clip to jack with. I find myself carrying off and on during the day, and it moves to my laptop bag with ease and clips well to a divider in there. I've used it a few times with my shirt tucked in, and even my gun carrying buddies didn't notice it. I'm considering one more ($20 :)) to remove the clip altogether for pocket carry. I adjusted it to pop off with just the right finger pressure on the top lip, yet still provide enough retention for my taste.

The two things I don't really like:
    1. The plastic clip is still thick. Wearing a loose shirt, the gun disappears, but I still see the bump where the clip is. I'm thinking about making/finding a thin steel clip as a replacement.
    2. The top opening rides low. Great in every way except - I've collected enough belly flab that I need to be careful not to pinch myself re-holstering. No problem carrying, just when training. Thinking about adding a stiff leather flap like some other holsters have. Maybe just buy a different holster for range day.

All in, I really want to find a nicer, 'cooler', holster. Great thread, and I'll deffinately take another look at the ones others have talked about. My fear is accumulating more expensive scrap. Until then, the Slim-Tuk is cheap, comfortable, and very functional the way I use it.

Seems like all the 'temporary' things in my life outlast the permanent ones!

Thanks for the great thread!

Top Bottom