• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Ok let me start by saying this is NOT A COP BASH thread. I really want to know from the leos what it is with all of the questions. Where are you coming from? Where are you going? What have you been up to tonight? I am very curious to know what relevance it has to me speeding or not wearing my seatbelt. I don't want to just assume it is fishing unless it really is.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's called fishing. They are fishing for something to use against you.

No no no......... they are just being chatty.
    You know..... shooting the breeze.
    They get lonely out on the road and are just wanting some personal time with someone.

:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

This is very true. They are trained on specifically what questions to ask, when to ask, and how to ask.

I guess it begs the bigger question-- is "fishing" an acceptable practice?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Where are you going?? Eventually to hell right now I have no particular destination in mind just burning gas...

Where are you coming from?? I can't tell you.
    Why?? Cause your wife asked me not too.

What were you doing?? I really think that is a private matter between myself and your wife.

Are you trying to be funny?? No not at all are you trying to violate my rights??

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Where are you going?? Eventually to hell right now I have no particular destination in mind just burning gas...

What were you doing?? I really think that is a private matter between myself and your wife.

Are you trying to be funny?? No not at all are you trying to violate my rights??

A Dale Carnegie alumnus you are not, but I like your sense of humor!:): I would rep you but I am out for the day!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    NOthing wrong w/ fishing the problem is with getting caught..
    they are baiting you, think before you answer any question and you'll probably be ok. on the other hand is you blurt out what you are thinking at the moment you are giving up just what leo wants.
    Be open, be friendly, don't come off as being defensive but don't give up anything until you wiegh the consequences.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    baiting and fishing. once they catch you slipping up on one answer then they pull out the latex gloves and probe deeper. whether you just made a simple mistake or you are guilty of something.

If there is one thing that should be required by law for kids to be taught in school, its DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE! you have the right to remain silent and IT IS in your best interest to REMAIN SILENT! im sorry, but cops generally do not pull you over to check on your well being. thats not really their job anyways though they always get used for that (welfare checks etc). their job is to enforce the law, so if you have an official interaction with a cop, you either broke the law or your about to be accused of it. so WHY would you open your damn mouth when all it does is help them collect evidence and build a case against you to pass onto a court or a prosecutor? if you open your mouth you get what you deserve or maybe not, but your gonna get something you dont want, i can assure you of that! once your an adult cops dont give you teddy bear stuffed animals ;)

the above isnt cop bashing, its just the facts and the way it is. im not saying cops dont do a valuable service. im just not giving ANYONE ammo to put in their gun and shoot me with my own ammo.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    My take, if you are pleasant, have not done anything wrong, and have a clean record, they will quickly move on to someone else...

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    My take, if you are pleasant, have not done anything wrong, and have a clean record, they will quickly move on to someone else...

This. I've never had a problem any of the times I've been stopped :whistle: I was pleasant, didn't give any attitude, didn't cry or flirt (:D) and gave them no reason to think I was anything but a normal, responsible person. I didn't get a ticket every time, only 3 IIRC :rockwoot:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    If they want to question you, ask them to read you your rights then invoke legal representation. You have no obligation to answer anything. If they stopped you for a traffic/vehicle violation then its license and registration please.

With that out of the way, I've found if I'm polite with them it shortens the stop and gets everyone on their way. But I will not give them information that has nothing to do with the traffic stop.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    If they want to question you, ask them to read you your rights then invoke legal representation. You have no obligation to answer anything. If they stopped you for a traffic/vehicle violation then its license and registration please.

With that out of the way, I've found if I'm polite with them it shortens the stop and gets everyone on their way. But I will not give them information that has nothing to do with the traffic stop.

All that's fair enough. I personally was never asked questions that didn't pertain to the stop. "Do you know why I stopped you" is usually the only question other then asking for the paperwork, which I've always had ready when they get to the vehicle.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    All that's fair enough. I personally was never asked questions that didn't pertain to the stop. "Do you know why I stopped you" is usually the only question other then asking for the paperwork, which I've always had ready when they get to the vehicle.

Where have you been, where are you going, what are you doing are not acceptable questions for a traffic stop.

If there was a criminal act and myself and my vehicle match the description, then either inform me, arrest me, or let me go. Anything else is just fishing to nail someone with a higher charge or more charges.

I understand they are trying to do a job and a thankless one at that, but asking questions not pertaining to the stop is not part of the job description.

I don't hate LEO's, I don't bash LEO's. They are human and make mistakes too, but they get bent out of shape if you remind them they are overstepping their legal boundaries. I have several friends from high school and college that went on to become LEO's at different levels. We have this discussion often, most agree fellow officers are out of bounds with these questions, a couple think they have the right by having the badge to ask anything they want and demand an answer.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

This.

I guess it begs the bigger question-- is "fishing" an acceptable practice?

I don't really see a problem with it and won't ever see a problem until answering becomes mandatory.

IMO, ask away...Just just expect to hear questions in return(ie. "Am I getting a ticket today, sir?" "Am I free to go?")

BTW, I can't ever recall a time where I was asked those silly questions, so it's a non-issue for me anyway.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    No no no......... they are just being chatty.
    You know..... shooting the breeze.
    They get lonely out on the road and are just wanting some personal time with someone.
    Better that than my dog.

This. I've never had a problem any of the times I've been stopped :whistle: I was pleasant, didn't give any attitude, didn't cry or flirt (:D) and gave them no reason to think I was anything but a normal, responsible person. I didn't get a ticket every time, only 3 IIRC :rockwoot:

You've got them fooled then. ;)

Somehow I think that might have an entirely different response if I said it. :D

Top Bottom