• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You made room for more senseless bickering ;).

Most of the debates around here can be resolved by everyone just doing whatever the hell they are comfortable with and not worrying about it. It works for the Glock debates, the "inform the LEO" debates, the OC debates, the caliber debates, and apparently this one!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    CCWBadges.jpg

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I am not a proponent for, nor an advocate against, and person having a LTCH badge if that's what he / she wants to do.

The advocates against have not, in any instance, provided any logical, rationale, thoughtful reason behind their "anti-badge" rhetoric EXCEPT "Cops don't like 'em". That's a ridiculous "argument".

BTW, the badge on a cop's uniform is only a symbol of his / her authority, as well. Their actual "paper" stating their authority is the ID they carry, NOT their badge.

That's the exact same case as someone carrying a LTCH badge, their "authority" is on their "pink slip", and the badge is merely a symbol of that authority.

So, just like a LEO, Firefighter, EMT, Corrections Officer, Parole Officer, Bailiff, et. al. badge, the LTCH badge is nothing more than a symbol that you have been duly authorized to carry a handgun. It's not a "wannabe cop" (although there could be those that think that way). On the other hand, I know actual cops that are "wannabe cops", too. Sorry, true it is.

There are some realistic, day-to-day scenarios that could arise in which having such a badge COULD be helpful. On the other hand, about the ONLY argument I've ever heard against them is "Some cops don't like it and might harrass you".

If the cop is harrassing you and you're acting in a legal manner, then it's the cop that has the "attitude", and furthermore, it's then the cop that is actually committing a crime.

There are cops that don't like citizens carrying guns, too. Does that keep anyone here from carrying their weapon, whether open or concealed, because "some cops don't like 'em"?

I see BOTH sides of the argument (usually because I've been on both sides), then draw a rational conclusion. I do NOT make my mind up, then try and look for evidence (or others on a forum) to "confirm" my non-fact-based opinion.

Sorry, that's not how it works if one intends to proffer an intelligent and insightful, lucid and well thought out observation.

Of course, anyone is welcome to disagree, that's their right, and I'll stand up for that. BUT...

BEFORE you begin bashing me, new guy here or not, make sure you've done the research and observations, and perhaps the personal experience, to form a VALID and valued judgment.

'Cause you can rest assured, I have.

Thanks for almost listening to an opposing "devil's advocate" viewpoint.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I doubt most people care if cops like them or not.

They are silly in Indiana because we can carry openly if we want on an LTCH and don't even have a Concealed Weapon Permit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for almost listening to an opposing "devil's advocate" viewpoint.
    You, as the new guy here are "almost listening".

I understand devil's advocate. What I see you failing to take into account is that, in the many discussions that we have had here, the general consensus was, "If you want to wear it, go ahead." Most expressing an opinion on the topic considered a CCW badge as a toy, a trinket, and not as something that adds value to either carrying a firearm or in a self-defense situation.

The police on INGO have stated that they don't like the badges because it could possible cause confusion in any given situation.

Did you read about the "cop" outside the Madame Walker theater in Indy recently? Yeah, he had a badge but he wasn't a cop. In the confusion he was allegedly allowed to handcuff some defendants involved in an altercation. He grabbed a clipboard and filled out incident forms like a cop. All because of a fake badge and a shirt with a near-by town's crest on it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    ModernGunner:

We understand the point you're trying to make about the symbolism of a badge and your disgust with the possibility of a police officer harassing someone over it. To bring this back to the topic of the original post, do you think it has a purpose? Do YOU own one or would YOU ever consider one? Why or why not?

Oh, and a BIG +1 to Blue Tile Spook. For this topic, and a multitude of others that cause so much consternation, do whatever makes you happy. If you want to buy one of these badges, go for it.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    ModernGunner said:
    I am not a proponent for, nor an advocate against, and person having a LTCH badge if that's what he / she wants to do.

Interesting how this turned into a LTCH badge instead of CCW badge. Haven't seen one of those yet.

ModernGunner said:
    That's the exact same case as someone carrying a LTCH badge, their "authority" is on their "pink slip", and the badge is merely a symbol of that authority.

This is where I disagree. The badge is a symbol of police authority, and commonly accepted as such. In my opinion - and it's just that, an opinion, you'll be hard pressed to find people who immediately identify with a badge as a LTCH badge. Thus, it's clear to me they're wannabe cops. Again, my opinion.

ModernGunner said:
    There are some realistic, day-to-day scenarios that could arise in which having such a badge COULD be helpful. On the other hand, about the ONLY argument I've ever heard against them is "Some cops don't like it and might harrass you".

I'm giving you a different argument right there ^

Top Bottom