What would you do/ what would your reaction be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Not to me. If I wanted to borrow it, it's because it may be the only time I will use it. If I needed it for multiple uses I would want to buy one.
    This is where you get the rest of the story.

Jim returns from HF with the new sander, gives it to Frank, and immediately asks to borrow the new one so his wife can finish the project. :rolleyes:

Frank had instructed Jim on how to use the sander. Don't bear down on it to get the job done faster, let the sander do the work. Admittedly, Jim didn't pass this info along to his wife, who pressed down hard and overheated the motor.

As the Frank in this story, I was a bit put off by his behavior. First, he should have told her how to use it. Second, since she frequently refinishes furniture, he should have bought her one while he was right there at HF. They're cheap, and will probably have a good service life if used properly and taken care of. At that price point, why not just buy one for his wife?

Yes, I told him he could borrow it again, but he would have to buy me a new one if she burned it up again. Then he asked for a belt to put on it. :n00b: He couldn't have at least picked up a pack of belts?

Thankfully, Jim moved away and I don't have to deal with his BS any longer. :):

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Yep, I will buy a new one for what I borrowed. If I broke his DeWalt I would replace it too. If I cannot afford to replace it I shouldn’t borrow it.
    Ohh I would be willing to replace it too, but if it's going to cost more than $30 to replace, I think Jim should be consulted first before spending the extra to make sure it's actually what he wants. Maybe it was his only DeWalt item he was waiting to die off and replace with another brand? Maybe he wanted a different model?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If I am Frank, I would say dont worry about it. Mainly because it was a cheap, Harbor Freight sander.

If I am Jim, I get Frank a $25.00 gift card at Lowes, Home Depot or someplace like that to help put towards the cost of a better quality sander or just a goodwill gesture.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    You break it you buy it !
    If you Barrow it you replace , it’s that simple reguardless of the cost .
    I don’t care if it ran for 10sec replace it.
    If it’s a harbor freight then replace it with a harbor freight.
    Or you break my :poop: an tell me to pound sand then don’t ask to use anything else.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If I borrow a tool and destroy it, I must offer to replace it or at least negotiate something. A Harbor Freight sander, I'll buy a new one and finish the project and then say "hey bro your sander puked, here's the new one".

If I loan out a Harbor Freight tool and it gets torched, I'm not gonna worry about it. I consider those disposable. He wants to buy me another one, great, I learn that I have an honorable friend. He won't? I buy a better sander and don't loan to him anymore.

$30 is below the dollar threshold for drama. I'll spend it to avoid drama and I'll let it go to avoid drama.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You are all looking at this wrong. It was Jim’s wife that destroyed it.

Harbor Freight is probably a handy.

DeWalt might require more skills on her part.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This thread must have some of the best responses and common ground than most threads! There hasn't even been any .45 is God's round statements! :)

I agree with most of us here today. My policy is if I borrow it, I return it in better condition than when I got it.

I was "Frank" awhile back when I loaned my Porter-Cable random orbital polisher to a friend so he could polish his motor home. He burned it up. Friend said he would replace it. I said don't worry about it, they are usually fixable. Next thing I know, he hands me a brand new replacement.

I would have done the same had I been "Jim".

In this case, I would probably have purchased something better than the HF one as a replacement. Or like someone upthread said, you could talk to him and ask him if he had any sanders he was thinking of getting. Then buy him that one.

BTW, usually once I borrow something from someone, they ask me to borrow more of their stuff.;)

I have been know to tune up rototillers, fix oil leaks, clean and adjust bicycles, replace missing parts, etc.

I don't borrow much these days as I pretty much have invested in what I need but that attitude served me well when I did have to borrow something.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This is where you get the rest of the story.

Jim returns from HF with the new sander, gives it to Frank, and immediately asks to borrow the new one so his wife can finish the project. :rolleyes:

Frank had instructed Jim on how to use the sander. Don't bear down on it to get the job done faster, let the sander do the work. Admittedly, Jim didn't pass this info along to his wife, who pressed down hard and overheated the motor.

As the Frank in this story, I was a bit put off by his behavior. First, he should have told her how to use it. Second, since she frequently refinishes furniture, he should have bought her one while he was right there at HF. They're cheap, and will probably have a good service life if used properly and taken care of. At that price point, why not just buy one for his wife?

Yes, I told him he could borrow it again, but he would have to buy me a new one if she burned it up again. Then he asked for a belt to put on it. :n00b: He couldn't have at least picked up a pack of belts?

Thankfully, Jim moved away and I don't have to deal with his BS any longer. :):
    This is Jim.

pvw9in5.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I were Jim, I'd replace the tool.

If I were Frank, I would accept the replacement.

For part 2 of your story.... Sorry, the only belt I had was on the one you killed.

I've borrowed many tools, and returned them in as good of shape as they left. I also replace consumables (belts) and/or slip 'em some cash (or beer) to make up for their use.

It is unusual for me to loan tools. Especially anything expensive or easy to misuse. Neighbor needs something welded? Bring it over, and I'll do it for you.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Jim's wife buys and refinishes furniture, and sells them to shops and at flea markets and online. She is refinishing a table and needs a belt sander, which Jim doesn't own. He knows his neighbor, Frank, owns one, so Jim asks to Frank to loan him the belt sander. Frank does so, as is common among neighbors in the neighborhood.

Jim's wife burns up the motor on the belt sander. Jim tells Frank that his belt sander is ruined, and asks where he got it so he can replace it. So far, so good.

Turns out, the belt sander is a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Cost was probably $20 or $30 or so. It was well-used, but was still serviceable at the time of loaning/ borrowing.

At this point, how does Frank react?

1. Says thanks, waits for new replacement for used sander.

2 Offers to pay half for the replacement of his used sander.

What factors influence your decision?
    20220518_114248.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of Harbor Freight tools.

...but none that plug in. If it were me, I would tell the neighbor to forget about it and say that rather than buy me a new belt sander, I got that one at Harbor Freight, why don't you get your wife one?

Then I would go get a Makita for myself (which is actually what I have).

And a belt sander? That's pretty aggressive for furniture refinishing. I use my random orbital about 10 times more than the belt sander.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When you borrow a working item, return it as a working item. Why dishonor your good name at any price?

I rented a 3 stone cylinder hone because mine did not go big enough. It was well worn. It broke while I used it. The rental agency made me pay for it anyway, as they showed me that I had signed the paper saying I was 100 percent responsible. It is written, the borrower is always subject to the lender.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    When you borrow something, you give it back. It's what an honorable man does.

Borrow an elcheapo from HF, you give back one identical.

Borrow an expensive DeWalt, you give back one identical.

Top Bottom